SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another natural mystery...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another natural mystery... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
Here on the south coast of UK, every evening, this happens....

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f23_1510265232

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
And thanks to someone deciding to bring them over during the colonial period we get to see them do that here too! Smile

Scratch the above. Evidently that was a folktale. According to Wikipedia they came over much later, in the 1890's.

Wikipedia-

The European starling was purposefully introduced to North America in 1890–1891 by the American Acclimatization Society, an organization dedicated to introducing European flora and fauna into North America for cultural and economic reasons. Eugene Schieffelin, chairman at the time, allegedly decided all birds mentioned by William Shakespeare should be in North America. The bird had been mentioned in Henry IV, Part 1, and a hundred of them were released from New York's Central Park.[6]

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They're looking for my car.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We get them around here and they are fantastic to watch. They fly around as one over our fields and occasionally land on the roof of our house making an amazingly loud racket.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
They're looking for my car.
. Mine too. We need flying whales.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Flying mice are they.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post