SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cincinnati Chili
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cincinnati Chili Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
The best pizza in the Cincy area is Chester’s.
Never heard of it, and I live so close to that city I can smell them when the wind is wrong.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
The best pizza in the Cincy area is Chester’s.
Never heard of it, and I live so close to that city I can smell them when the wind is wrong.

They’re in Hamilton/Fairfield

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Skyline where they have the hot dogs covered with spaghetti and chili? Cause I love those.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The hot dogs are covered with onion, mustard, chili and shredded cheese. Add their hot sauce for some zing. They are Cheese Coneys.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I agree with AZSigs that this not a chili.  A review of the ingredients and technique finds that the "Cincy Chili" recipe is similar to the recipes Pork Meat Sauce over Rice (Lu Ruo Fan) presented by Kathy Erway; and Cuban Picadillo.  This "Cincy Chili" is like Cuban Picadillo without the pepper,  raisins and olives. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/re...at-sauce-recipe.html

https://www.mybigfatcubanfamil...07/picadillo-recipe/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who cares what it's called? If it tastes good, I'll eat it.

I just had a Gold Star 5-way for lunch today.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met my wife at the Reading Skyline!
And yes, Grippos makes the best BBQ chips
on the planet.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I'll pass on the Skyline. I've revisited multiple times. Just to sweet for me.

It's sweet?

The recipe I used had you adding vinegar and zero sugar or anything of the sort, it was quite tangy/savory?

Umm, yeah. Never heard anyone say Skyline was sweet before.

Ok, maybe the wrong description but it just isn't palatable to me.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I lived in CINCI Mid 70s. My new friends said you got to try Skyline. I didn’t like the taste. Now, White Castle that’s a different story. But to each his own.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
You serve it over spaghetti

Sounds kind of like it’s spaghetti sauce

It's not. It's a unique chili.

I agree totally different. I really like Cicinatti chili, but it doesn't stand well on it's own.....needs to be on top of spaghetti with a mountain of cheddar cheese or on a hot dog...…..

If you want to try it......find a Skyline chili restaurant or it in the grocery store.....the frozen box is better than the canned version, but you can find it in most all states in grocery stores.........

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I haven't had Cincinnati chili in a long time, and when I did it was homemade by a friend. It was a family recipe. They were from Cincinnati. Anyway, I didn't really consider it "chili" as I know it, but it was great. It's kind of like when I moved to Japan and tried curry for the first time. I really liked it but it was completely different than the various Indian curry dishes that I was familiar with. Anyway, we make large pot of chili at least once a month. I think we'll have to try and make some Cincinnati chili next time. There's nowhere I know of around here that serves it.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I've had what was called "Cincinnati Spaghetti" in a diner that sounds like this recipe, I liked it.

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Only time I had a Cinci-style chili is at Bob's Big Boy in SoCal, their Chili & Spaghetti, covered in cheddar cheese and chopped onions. It was good in its day, but is has been decades since I've had this kind of meal.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16662 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
I’ve never been a big chili and spaghetti guy. But Skyline andouille coneys with habanero cheese, all the way (with mustard and onion), I jones for those all year.

Where have you been? Haven't seen a post from you in ages. Welcome back. Razz

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
I’ve never been a big chili and spaghetti guy. But Skyline andouille coneys with habanero cheese, all the way (with mustard and onion), I jones for those all year.
He noticed a thread with pictures of cats, opened it to take a look. That was a few weeks ago, he has just now come up for air.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:

I was thinking the same thing. I mean it may have been more than a year.

Good to see you back Milliron, hope it is for good.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know for a fact that ramen noodles do not work,
(w/o the seasoning packet)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post