SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cincinnati Chili
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cincinnati Chili Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had it several times as a Purdue student since we used to road trip to Cincy where my buddy had a co-op. Also, had it at a United Way Chili Cook-off.

It's OK drunk food, but it's an abomination sober. To be fair:
  • the only way I like cinnamon is with a metric shit ton of sugar.
  • if they didn't include the word chili, it'd just be something I dislike instead of an abomination.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Black92LX:
    Skyline is the best by far. Followed by Empress and then Gold Star.

I grew up in Cincy so I have been eating it since the day I got off the bottle pretty much.
    My last 2 years of college I was at the Skyline at the corner of Clifton and Ludlow (best location there is hands down) sometime between 11pm and 2am.

We got one here about a year ago and that is good.
    The only thing close to being as good as Skyline when it comes to food is LaRoasas Pizza.

My parents spent a couple of years in Cincinnati. I adopted the Reds as my favorite baseball team. We try to visit a couple of times per year for games. The two automatics are Skyline Chili and LaRosa’s Pizza.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Moving cash
    for money
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 9x18:
    I make Cincy chili a few times a winter. The flavor is more complex than what passes for chili here in Georgia.

This is how I do it. It is a combination of three or so recipes.

Brown 2 lbs of ground beef, 80/20 is good. Do Not drain! Add two diced onions and 2-3 chopped garlic cloves. cook until onions are soft. Add a can of good beef stock, more if you want it soupy.

Add the spices : 2 T chili powder
    2 T sweet paprika
    1 1/2 t Cumin
    1 1/2 t Cinnamon
    1 t Allspice
    1/2 to 1 t Cayenne
    1/2 t Coriander
    1/4 t ground cloves
    1 bay leaf
    Salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer a few minutes and then add a can of diced tomatoes or tomato sauce. Bring back to a simmer and add a square of unsweetened bakers chocolate, a T of Worcestershire and 2 T Vinegar. Simmer awhile longer. Remove from stove and place covered in refrigerator overnight.

Remove from frig and skim the now congealed fat off. You will lose a little of the chili but there will be lots to eat.

Reheat and serve over spaghetti (two way) and shredded cheddar (three way) chopped onions for four way and kidney beans for chili five way. I never bother with the beans even though I am a heathen and add them to regular chili.

Serve with oyster crackers and a small salad.

Yum Yum!

That is pretty close to my method. I have not used bay, I did not think my cooking time was long enough for it to impart much flavor. I will have to try that. I also sometimes add brown sugar, up depends how cheap the canned tomatoes are. I was going to make some tonight but I just started a new job in Butthead and the commute home was crap. Four way or five is great. And it does make a pretty good coney dog. Not quite the same as a Lafayette (Michigan) coney chili but still pretty good.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
    Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
    NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
    Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
    Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Move Up or
    Move Over
    posted Hide Post
    "a beanless meat chili"...

As if there was any other kind...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Facts are stubborn things
    Picture of armedprof
    posted Hide Post
    I worked the line at Skyline when I was in college at OSU. I absolutely love it. But washing dishes coated with melted cheese SUCKS!

Every time I am in Ohio it is a must. The wife and I drove to the Keys a few years back and stopped in at the south Florida skyline heading down and back.

Next time you go, order a Dr. Pepper with your food. It goes really well. And if you get a York peppermint patty, break it into quarters and eat each piece with one of the crackers. It is better than the thin mint girl scout cookie.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Uppity Helot
    posted Hide Post
    I have never had the restaurant version but hope to someday. My Wife makes the home made version with the help of the Cincinnati Chili packets available on Amazon. She cooks it with added Navy beans as neither her nor I particularly like Kidney beans. No haters in our house thats for sure. Big Grin

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Waiting for Hachiko
    Picture of Sunset_Va
    posted Hide Post
    Maybe I'll try poutine first.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
    Picture of AZSigs
    posted Hide Post
    NOPE! Not chili. Sorry.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    7.62mm Crusader
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by divil:
    I have never had the restaurant version but hope to someday. My Wife makes the home made version with the help of the Cincinnati Chili packets available on Amazon. She cooks it with added Navy beans as neither her nor I particularly like Kidney beans. No haters in our house thats for sure. Big Grin
    I like the black beans and lots of them better than all other beans. Seppin limas but those dont go in Cincinnati chili. Black beans have such a nice flavor and texture.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frangas non Flectes
    Picture of P220 Smudge
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Fuck it. Meat and spices? I’d try it. Poutine is not the greener side of the fence here unless you’re about 23 years of age and it’s 3AM on a Saturday or Sunday. I’ve had it in such circumstances, where it was invented. Try the cinnamon chili, there’s no way it can’t be better.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    More light than heat
    Picture of Milliron
    posted Hide Post
    I’ve never been a big chili and spaghetti guy. But Skyline andouille coneys with habanero cheese, all the way (with mustard and onion), I jones for those all year.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8785 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Waiting for Hachiko
    Picture of Sunset_Va
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
    quote:

Fuck it. Meat and spices? I’d try it. Poutine is not the greener side of the fence here unless you’re about 23 years of age and it’s 3AM on a Saturday or Sunday. I’ve had it in such circumstances, where it was invented. Try the cinnamon chili, there’s no way it can’t be better.

I won't be trying either poutine or Cinncinati chilli.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Try the cinnamon chili, there’s no way it can’t be better

Confused

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

I won't be trying either poutine or Cinncinati chilli.

Well thank you for weighing in with those words of wisdom there.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by David Lee:
    If any of you all travel through the area, pick up a large bag of Grippo's BBQ potato chips. I will promise you will like them. A shy hot so you'll sweat a bit but they are great.

Grippos also has beef jerky to. It has the same BBQ seasoning on it, ant it is awsome!!!!!

Posts: 2222 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    I'll pass on the Skyline. I've revisited multiple times. Just to sweet for me.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

It's sweet?

The recipe I used had you adding vinegar and zero sugar or anything of the sort, it was quite tangy/savory?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PASig:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Krazeehorse:

It's sweet?

The recipe I used had you adding vinegar and zero sugar or anything of the sort, it was quite tangy/savory?

Umm, yeah. Never heard anyone say Skyline was sweet before.

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    H.O.F.I.S
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Black92LX:
    Skyline is the best by far. Followed by Empress and then Gold Star.

I grew up in Cincy so I have been eating it since the day I got off the bottle pretty much.
    My last 2 years of college I was at the Skyline at the corner of Clifton and Ludlow (best location there is hands down) sometime between 11pm and 2am.

We got one here about a year ago and that is good.
    The only thing close to being as good as Skyline when it comes to food is LaRoasas Pizza.
    LaRoasas!! The pizza store that uses the same horrible sauce for every dish they serve?They are no better than frozen pizza.

Gold Star for me.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    The best pizza in the Cincy area is Chester’s.

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post