SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cincinnati Chili
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cincinnati Chili Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Never tried it. Doubt it would be my favorite, but I'd tear it up on a chili dog.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I'd tear it up on a chili dog.

Then it'd be a Coney.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Tried Skyline chili a number of times when I was living in Dayton. Never did acquire a taste for it. Now White Castle hamburgers, I do miss those.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
As a Cincinnati native, I eat it, but I’m not in love with it. I prefer Texas style chili, but I’ll eat Cincinnati style occasionally. It really isn’t chili like any other chili you may have had. The meat is very finely ground and it is more like a thick sauce. You wouldn’t really sit down and eat just a bowl of the chili, it is always served on top of something: usually spaghetti or hot dogs. Obviously the flavor has some very uncommon ingredients for a chili as well.

Personally, I think Gold Star does better coneys, and sky line is better on spaghetti. Of course, my favorite version are the chili cheese fries at Blue Ash chili. If a plate of those and a BLT doesn’t give you a heart attack, I don’t know what will!

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Been thinking of making some spicy Texas style chili (no beans, stew beef cut smaller, not hamburger, little or no tomatoes), served on top of spaghetti with diced onion and peppers, queso...and call it Spaghetti Western Chili.

Several months ago it occurred to me that no-bean chili with sour cream mixed in and ladled over egg noodles would be a quick and easy twist on beef stroganoff. Haven’t tried it yet though.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
Spent a week in Cincinnati some years ago. Based on the recommendation of a local, I somewhat reluctantly tried it. Turns out I love it! It is now a regular stop when going through Cincinnati.

Posts: 652 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ I usually brown the beef (after pouring off some grease) in a beer or two. Drinking an ale from Harpoon with cinnamon and nutmeg in it now that may add some of the Cincinnati flavor to a batch. Will need to remember and pick up another pack later this week. Commercial mixes are too nutmeg and cinnamon heavy for me. The brew may work.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
… Sounds like Ragu masquerading as "chili".

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I don't make that style but do use some similar ingreditents.
USed properly, the cinnamon and dark chocolate can't really be tasted, but add some richness and depth of flavor. I put in a splash of fish sauce as well.

It's nice to have choices. The people who get into heated arguments about what's the "right" way to make chili are silly. If you like beans, use beans. For my family, chili was poverty food; with large family and a single working parent, you used beans, tomatoes, and ground beef.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Skyline is the best by far. Followed by Empress and then Gold Star.

I grew up in Cincy so I have been eating it since the day I got off the bottle pretty much.
My last 2 years of college I was at the Skyline at the corner of Clifton and Ludlow (best location there is hands down) sometime between 11pm and 2am.

We got one here about a year ago and that is good.
The only thing close to being as good as Skyline when it comes to food is LaRoasas Pizza.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I'd tear it up on a chili dog.

Then it'd be a Coney.
Yes, cheese Coney and those eat pretty good.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've wiped better stuff of the bottom of my boot after being out in the pasture. Wink

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I make Cincy chili a few times a winter. The flavor is more complex than what passes for chili here in Georgia.

This is how I do it. It is a combination of three or so recipes.

Brown 2 lbs of ground beef, 80/20 is good. Do Not drain! Add two diced onions and 2-3 chopped garlic cloves. cook until onions are soft. Add a can of good beef stock, more if you want it soupy.

Add the spices : 2 T chili powder
2 T sweet paprika
1 1/2 t Cumin
1 1/2 t Cinnamon
1 t Allspice
1/2 to 1 t Cayenne
1/2 t Coriander
1/4 t ground cloves
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer a few minutes and then add a can of diced tomatoes or tomato sauce. Bring back to a simmer and add a square of unsweetened bakers chocolate, a T of Worcestershire and 2 T Vinegar. Simmer awhile longer. Remove from stove and place covered in refrigerator overnight.

Remove from frig and skim the now congealed fat off. You will lose a little of the chili but there will be lots to eat.

Reheat and serve over spaghetti (two way) and shredded cheddar (three way) chopped onions for four way and kidney beans for chili five way. I never bother with the beans even though I am a heathen and add them to regular chili.

Serve with oyster crackers and a small salad.

Yum Yum!

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I've wiped better stuff of the bottom of my boot after being out in the pasture. Wink

Them there is fightin’ words!!

————————————————

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Skyline is the best by far. Followed by Empress and then Gold Star.

I grew up in Cincy so I have been eating it since the day I got off the bottle pretty much.
My last 2 years of college I was at the Skyline at the corner of Clifton and Ludlow (best location there is hands down) sometime between 11pm and 2am.

We got one here about a year ago and that is good.
The only thing close to being as good as Skyline when it comes to food is LaRoasas Pizza.

Don't forget a slab of Montgomery Inn baby backs, saratoga chips and a Teds Red Ale

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason my wife cooked this one Christmas eve probably 20 years ago. We all liked it so much that it became a family tradition to have Cincinnati chili on the 24th each year.

Some of our Southern friends mocked us until they tried it, now they try to weasel an invite to join in.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Several months ago it occurred to me that no-bean chili with sour cream mixed in and ladled over egg noodles would be a quick and easy twist on beef stroganoff. Haven’t tried it yet though.

Russia meets Mexico. Maybe. Let us know if it works.

I prefer non-tomato stroganoffs, although I know there are versions with tomatoes, too.

I put a little cocoa in my Texas chili. Not enough to be a noticeably distinct chocolate flavor, but it does add something.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If any of you all travel through the area, pick up a large bag of Grippo's BBQ potato chips. I will promise you will like them. A shy hot so you'll sweat a bit but they are great.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
If any of you all travel through the area, pick up a large bag of Grippo's BBQ potato chips. I will promise you will like them. A shy hot so you'll sweat a bit but they are great.

Grippos has upped their spice game in the last couple years. They are substantially hotter than they used to be. I can’t eat nearly as many as I used to due to the heat.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Its the best food ever. I have Skyline atleast twice a week.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post