SIGforum
Cincinnati Chili

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6060097264

November 04, 2019, 11:04 AM
PASig
Cincinnati Chili
I've always wanted to try this and finally had it as part of a birthday dinner this weekend. DELICIOUS! Will be adding it to our meal rotation for sure.

If you've never heard of it, it's a bean-less meat chili that is flavored with cinnamon and oregano and not a whole lot of chili powder (there is some but not like regular chili) and and is more "spicy" from cinnamon and other seasonings and not hot chili pepper "spicy". The recipe we used even called for some cocoa powder.

You serve it over spaghetti and can top with kidney beans, diced raw onion and cheese. I had it with everything and it was great!

November 04, 2019, 11:10 AM
P-220
Glad you liked it. Some consider it an acquired taste.

We have a number of Chili Parlors here in Cincinnati, most notably Skyline, Gold Star, Camp Washington and dozens of smaller mom and pop parlors.

No haters please. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
November 04, 2019, 11:11 AM
Mr.9mm
Looks good! First thing I usually do with left-over chili is make a batch of spaghetti for Cincinnati Chili!
November 04, 2019, 11:15 AM
ubelongoutside
Love some skyline 5 way with lots of hot sauce

November 04, 2019, 11:17 AM
Pipe Smoker
Cinnamon? Hm… I’m skeptical, but would try it.

Serious about crackers
kz1000
3 way juicy light spaghetti, cheese coney no onions. Lotsa hot sauce.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris
arfmel
quote:
You serve it over spaghetti

Sounds kind of like it’s spaghetti sauce
November 04, 2019, 11:20 AM
PowerSurge
Best tasting chili I’ve ever had. I prefer Skyline over Gold Star, though.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
November 04, 2019, 11:23 AM
jhe888
I've tried it - we had a friend from Cincinatti.

I liked it. I didn't love it. It is not very much like Texas chili at all. They aren't really even the same dish.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
November 04, 2019, 11:26 AM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
You serve it over spaghetti

Sounds kind of like it’s spaghetti sauce

It's not. It's a unique chili.

November 04, 2019, 11:31 AM
rat2306
Been thinking of making some spicy Texas style chili (no beans, stew beef cut smaller, not hamburger, little or no tomatoes), served on top of spaghetti with diced onion and peppers, queso...and call it Spaghetti Western Chili.
November 04, 2019, 11:33 AM
PASig
Wikipedia does a good job of explaining the origins of the dish:

Cincinnati chili originated with immigrant restaurateurs from Greece

November 04, 2019, 11:36 AM
Ripley
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The recipe we used even called for some cocoa powder.

A long time ago, we liked a recipe that used a little Hershey's chocolate syrup.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
November 04, 2019, 11:39 AM
gibby29
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Cinnamon? Hm… I’m skeptical, but would try it.

It’s an acquired taste. I like it (I’m from Ohio), my wife hates it. Kroger, another Cincinnati company, sells it by the can so if she’s going to be gone I’ll grab some for hot dogs or spaghetti.
November 04, 2019, 11:55 AM
Perception
It's an acquired taste, but it's also spiritually closer to real chili than that abominable bean soup many people make and call chili so I'm oddly enough ok with it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
November 04, 2019, 12:07 PM
Woodman
Cinnamon and nutmeg, I'm convinced, are the "secret" ingredients of Casa Reynoso's (Mill Ave) perfect red enchilada sauce. I'd not be surprised to see cinnamon in chili.

Over pasta, yes. Fast and easy. Chili is the best innovation since shoelaces. Chili cheddar tacos are as simple a meal as I've ever made. While the shells are crisping and the chili is reheating, shred the cheddar. The grater can even be washed before the shells are ready.
November 04, 2019, 12:12 PM
fpuhan
Every time I'm in Cincinnati I feel obligated to have some Skyline Chili 5-way. It isn't my favorite chili, but because it's a regional favorite, I enjoy it at least once. Add a Coney to it, and some Grater's ice cream for desert, and I've made my trip!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
November 04, 2019, 12:17 PM
Johnny 3eagles
Any tomato based recipes can be enhanced by the addition of some chocolate. Also, chocolate based recipes can be improved with some tomato paste.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
November 04, 2019, 12:18 PM
BigSwede
The wife from the OH makes it with ground 90/10 Sirloin, served over al dente thin spaghetti, topped with sharp yellow cheddar and finely chopped Vidalia onion. Yummm

November 04, 2019, 12:20 PM
YooperSigs
I miss Skyline. Hit it every time I go back to Dayton.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles