SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Science of Cave Diving - video and picture
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Science of Cave Diving - video and picture Login/Join 
posted
Back on Jan 24/25 I was in-water support diver for this project, this was for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service , to map and study the water flow of this system. This system sits about 4 miles from any road and our team is given special permission to drive there. There is only one way to do this type of study. Woodville Karst Plain Project (WKPP) is a non-profit, all volunteer group. This is the write up and video/pictures:

Operating under special use permit from St Marks National Wildlife Refuge (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service), WKPP divers have resumed exploration, mapping and documentation of Shepherd Spring. This dynamic and magnificent system to-date has more than 2 miles of confirmed passage including 3,500ft of passageway explored and mapped in 2019. The proximity to the Gulf Coast along with upstream factors are influencing water quantity and water quality in the cave system including salt water intrusion, hydrogen sulfide layering and tidal factors. WKPP divers conducted 2 dive operations on Jan 24/25 to sonar profile the first 3,500ft of the main passageway and then capture HD footage of the passage. Thanks to a great team: David Rhea, Steve Cox and Terry Koritz. Surface and In-Water Support John, Andrew, Tina, Ian, Max, Matt, Chris, Mark, Marcelo.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Its like a whole other world down there. Cool video.

Posts: 17888 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Incredible video and excursion.

Michael

Posts: 1092 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That is incredible. Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of crazy crap you might read of me dying doing one day.

Cave diving, however, is not one of them. Hard to see how they stay buoyant with those massive balls they have to have.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
That's equal parts amazing and terrifying.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8831 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
That's equal parts amazing and terrifying.

I've always thought scuba diving looked like a lot of fun. But I never pursued it because I'm not a very good swimmer. But this? I'm just claustrophobic enough to to know that there's no way in hell you would ever get me into a place like that.

Posts: 7239 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
It's cool to watch, but no caves for me! I've been a diver for about 20 years now, but only open water. Some of the best cave divers in the world have perished doing what they loved. My hat is off to those with the skill and bravery to do this.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Nope, and hell nope. With a double side order of nope, smothered in nope sauce.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Absolutely amazing, congratulations on being part of such a neat study.

I could never do it. Claustrophobia and drowning are two of my greatest fears. I fear fire less than drowning. No way in hell would you get me down there.

I'm an experienced swimmer and skin diver. I grew up on the ocean. Just don't put anything over my head when I'm down there.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12737 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I dive and I very much enjoy touring well-established and stable caverns. Filled with air. On (or in) dry land.

While cave diver might be a kick ass certification to have, I can assure you I would never, never, ever use it.

Also, I've seen Sanctum too many times.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16255 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like a great job for an unmanned mini submarine thing-a-ma-bobber

Posts: 5404 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Cool. But my mild claustrophobia needle was definitely pegged! Eek

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Amazing.

But honestly, I'd rather take a bath in a tub of spiders.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17458 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool. But like Artie, I could never do it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23896 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After watching an MMA fighter talk to Joe Rogan about his experience I knew for a fact it would be something I will never experience. I really can't think of a much worse situation for me to be in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvi7y10yNyg&t=3946s

Starts at 1:08 - 1:24

Posts: 3867 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Not for me, either.
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Nope, and hell nope. With a double side order of nope, smothered in nope sauce.

Big Grin Good way of putting it.

Posts: 27777 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with diving amongst the kelp forests.

Not claustrophobic but, the silt stirring and disorientation possibilities I couldn't deal.

Posts: 14537 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
After watching an MMA fighter talk to Joe Rogan about his experience I knew for a fact it would be something I will never experience. I really can't think of a much worse situation for me to be in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvi7y10yNyg&t=3946s

Starts at 1:08 - 1:24

FYI, that video is a master class of what not to do. My Cave 1 instructor had a saying "poorly trained skills are the first lost". That guy did everything wrong and I mean EVERYTHING. I truly cant believe someone was cave diving with that little skill level. Sort of like shooting yourself in the head at a gun range but claiming you are an expert. In cave vernacular he is someone we would call a "Stroke".

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Another time and place, assisted the state geologic survey team in mapping a substantial length of the Cumberland Caverns (dry spelunking), and would never have the nerve for cave diving. Props to you and the team.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post