SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A good reason why to never, ever testify as a witness to a crime in N.Y.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good reason why to never, ever testify as a witness to a crime in N.Y. Login/Join 
posted
https://www.foxnews.com/us/new...ound-dead-police-say

A New York man willing to testify against MS-13 members who attacked him in 2018 was found dead earlier this week after his identity was disclosed to defendants’ attorneys in pre-trial proceedings, police say.

The bludgeoned body of 36-year-old Wilmer Maldonado Rodriguez was found Sunday outside an abandoned home in New Cassel, the Nassau County Police Department announced Wednesday. Investigators said Rodriguez in October 2018 came to the defense of two boys who were being threatened by the gang — only to be beaten with a bat and stabbed, according to Newsday.

"This courageous man was prepared to testify against his alleged assailants at an upcoming trial, but he was brutally beaten to death before he could," Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas said in a statement provided to the newspaper.

"This case underscores the importance of safeguarding the identities of witnesses and victims of crime and our hearts are with Mr. Maldonado’s family and friends as we grieve his loss.”

Singas says prosecutors tried to keep Rodriguez’s identity secret by obtaining a protective order in December 2018.

But last December, ahead of looming changes to New York’s criminal justice system, including reforming the pre-trial discovery phase – during which prosecutors reveal evidence to the defense for preparation – the judge in the case issued a new order.

It allowed “for the disclosure of the protected information to defense counsel,” Newsday reports. The judge’s order, it added, required attorneys for two defendants not to reveal Rodriguez' s name to their clients until the trial’s start date of Jan. 6.

However, Nassau Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder said Wednesday that the trial was delayed.

“On February 1st, 2020, Wilmer, our now victim, deceased, was also beaten on and he escaped from there,” Ryder said. “Then on February 2nd, we found Mr. Rodriguez’s body.”

“The individuals whoever did this attack, we believe had received that information,” Ryder concluded, referring to Rodriguez’s identity. He noted that the investigation into Rodriguez’s killing is ongoing and no suspects have been identified.

Both attorneys, though, are denying that they disclosed any names of witnesses or victims to their clients.

“I never gave him the name of those people. And he never asked me for it,” lawyer Greg Madey, who is representing 20-year-old Denis Pineda, told Newsday. “I’m offended by the allegation that Denis Pineda had something to do with orchestrating this murder.”

Justin Feinman, who is representing 19-year-old Elian Ramos Velasquez, told Newsday that “at this point to say that it was a defense attorney that leaked without more information is completely inappropriate.”

“I feel horrible that this happened,” Feinman added. “This should have never happened. I just don’t see how you can blame a particular judge or attorney.”

The trial Rodriguez was supposed to testify in is set to begin sometime this week, Ryder said Wednesday.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
These savages have declared war on America; we’re past the point of trying to deal with them through the system. It’s high time they are simply squashed like roaches.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Hope that judge feels good about himself

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
These savages have declared war on America; we’re past the point of trying to deal with them through the system. It’s high time they are simply squashed like roaches.

Problem in NY, as well as other parts of the country, is the State doesn't want to do its job, but doesn't want you to do it, either.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice Judge, signs the mans death warrant Mad

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Nope, he probably went to his favorite restaurant and got the surf and turf dinner and never gave it another thought. These people have no souls.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:

I'm a firm believer that everyone has a right to confront their accuser and this case hasn't changed my mind. While the defense attorneys knew the identity, the judge instructed that the defendants themselves were not to know prior to the start of the trial.
That seems like the proper balance to me.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Problem in NY, as well as other parts of the country, is the State doesn't want to do its job, but doesn't want you to do it, either.
But that's the difference between much of this country and others around the world. We have both the 'means', and if things continue to devolve the 'motivation', to take matters into our own hands to protect us and ours. NY like a number of other states is promoting chaos in an effort to hugely expand the control of the state.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:

I'm a firm believer that everyone has a right to confront their accuser and this case hasn't changed my mind. While the defense attorneys knew the identity, the judge instructed that the defendants themselves were not to know prior to the start of the trial.

I agree 100% that the right to confront one's accuser is vital. The place to do that is the courtroom though, not in a back alley.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Has the right to confront his accuser IN COURT.
Not before, when exactly this can happen. Judge killed this man.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:
quote:

Has the right to confront his accuser IN COURT.
Not before, when exactly this can happen. Judge killed this man.

Attorneys need to be fully prepared and ready to defend the moment the trial starts. That's not possible if you're missing key information.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They could easily arrange a meeting in an office or other building. MS-13 rules by intimidation and murder. That POS judge probably did go home and forgot about it, as it was just one of the "little people" who was beaten to death.

Best one can do is stay away from New York. There is no winning when facing villains and evil when in NY.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This mess in New York all boils down to F'ing democrats that passed these moronic laws. I keep saying it and I hope you closet democrats out there listen; democrats are a cancer to America, they are not your friend. The democrat party is only for illegals, refugees, criminals and other parasites. Personally, I despise all democrat politicians and the low IQ, idiots that vote for them.
PS: I don't care if any of your closet democrats out there are offered either. You are the problem!

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This actually was just covered in the latest episode of Blue Bloods.

This new insane law that allows witness information to be given to the bad guys attorneys is going to get a whole lot of people killed and cause witnesses to not want to testify.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Nope, he probably went to his favorite restaurant and got the surf and turf dinner and never gave it another thought. These people have no souls.

Jim

Sad but true.

Posts: 3918 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Once again, it seems that some are placing blame on the judge for issuing an order which seems to be in line with the new law which recently took effect. He also took the initiative to order that the attorneys not reveal the witnesses name to the defendants until the trial's start date. While that order was clearly ineffective, it appears to have been all he could do without running afoul of the law. The blame should rest on those legislators who drafted and passed this law.

New York City is known for its progressive, reform-oriented justice system so its rather telling that the district attorneys for all five boroughs have expressed reservations about these new laws.

The ultimate irony in this case is that even if the perpetrator of this murder is caught, charged and convicted, the most severe penalty available will be life without since New York has no death penalty.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Y'all know there is a possibility that he was killed by or for something else....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^ Please... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was going to be targeted whether the accused found out ahead of time or at the trial.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
But that's the difference between much of this country and others around the world. We have both the 'means', and if things continue to devolve the 'motivation', to take matters into our own hands to protect us and ours. NY like a number of other states is promoting chaos in an effort to hugely expand the control of the state.

Exactly. Which is why I need to leave here asap. Well that and painfully high taxes to support the entitlements!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post