SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have any experience with hostels in the states?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have any experience with hostels in the states? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Hostels here in the States are getting better however, they're nowhere close to what's available in Western, Central Europe and SE Asia. While youth hostels are common, there's now adult/senior hostels available for travelers around tourist attractions. Some cater to budget tour operators, like most hostels they're geared around tourist areas.

See if they're apart of one of these hostel networks:

Hosteling International- They have curfews, a set standard for property and guest behavior. If you're a budget traveler but, looking to stay away from the rowdy drunks, you want to use this network.

Hostel World- This is the Expedia/Orbitz of the hostel world. They also have awards for hostels with various ratings. Some are quite nice.

Hostel Bookers- They compete online with Hostel World. I understand you can get accommodations for Iran and North Korea Eek

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The most expensive and pretentious hostel I've ever seen is located in Austin, TX.

Luxury hostel to me is an oxymoron. Enter the website at your own risk. They aim for the stars in douchebaggery.

Native Hostel.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
We have some up in Maine that used to be used by truckers and logging crews, but have switched over to the hiker and skiers crowd.
There have been minor problems here and there, but for the most part they are longed at favorably, as the guests will usually stop in town for supplies, helping the local economy.

When you say minor problems, I’m wondering how minor. Could I ask you to clarify?

Yes, this is supposed to be geared towards hikers and bikers- my fear, of course, is hookers and blow..and I know that would draw many of you in Wink, but that would be not great for our business..again, I’m excited about the idea, but somewhat anxious about worst possible scenarios. Thanks.

The hooker part is a bit impossible as every hostel I've ever heard about has 2 bunk beds in each room (4 beds)/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
The most expensive and pretentious hostel I've ever seen is located in Austin, TX.

Luxury hostel to me is an oxymoron. Enter the website at your own risk. They aim for the stars in douchebaggery.

Native Hostel.

Clearly it's marketed towards the SXSW/Marfa-types.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ Ha, *I'm* a SXSW/Marfa type, but I lived and worked in Austin, in a downtown loft no less, and only ever attended SX as a well connected local who is also in the industry, and I've never spent a single night in a hostel here or while abroad.

Nevertheless, I still agree with the gist of what you're saying. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Hostels here in the States are getting better however, they're nowhere close to what's available in Western, Central Europe and SE Asia. While youth hostels are common, there's now adult/senior hostels available for travelers around tourist attractions. Some cater to budget tour operators, like most hostels they're geared around tourist areas.

See if they're apart of one of these hostel networks:

Hosteling International- They have curfews, a set standard for property and guest behavior. If you're a budget traveler but, looking to stay away from the rowdy drunks, you want to use this network.

Hostel World- This is the Expedia/Orbitz of the hostel world. They also have awards for hostels with various ratings. Some are quite nice.

Hostel Bookers- They compete online with Hostel World. I understand you can get accommodations for Iran and North Korea Eek

It’s all just words on paper right now, doesn’t even have a name yet, so, not associated with any of these, but thanks for the links to check out.

Iron chef, I’d stay at that one in Austin myself. I really liked the look of that place, even if it is a little pretentious with the wording! “Silky plaster” Roll Eyes

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Iron chef, I’d stay at that one in Austin myself. I really liked the look of that place, even if it is a little pretentious with the wording! “Silky plaster” Roll Eyes

Did you check their rates? Eek

You can book a room at the Marriot for the price to rent a bunk at Native Hostel, but I suppose that's the price of admission to hang w/ the cool kids.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
49.00/night no big deal for me..you must be checking out the romper room Wink

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
Be THANKFUL that it's a hostel and NOT a halfway house. Here in South Florida 3 out of 4 people in rehab centers are from out of state. 80% get on drugs while in rehab and never go back home, they're stuck here on our streets. They're buying normal houses and making them halfway houses with 4 junkies to a bedroom in normal neighborhoods all over the place here. So all of a sudden you have 12-16 junkies living in a normal 3-4 bedroom house, wandering up and down your sidewalk.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Are you hostile to the hostel?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Are you hostile to the hostel?

No -and I thought about posting that “ not hostile to the hostel “ yesterday but didn’t know if it might be misinterpreted!

Jimmy one of the reasons for my original post is that we have halfway house type situations within four blocks us. Like I said I’m hoping for the best but want to learn others’ experiences.

"Trust, but verify."