SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have any experience with hostels in the states?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have any experience with hostels in the states? Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted
We have one intending to open up next door to our business, and I’m hoping for the best while wanting to plan for the worst..
I’ve certainly stayed in a few while a student traveling in Europe, just wondered what folks thought of them here in the states..
Thanks for any input.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It ALL depends on how it is run. We have a bunch of them here in Fort Lauderdale that cater to yacht crew. Most are well run and clean and the owner doesn't allow any BS to go on. Others are literal frat houses that turn into party central when the sun goes down.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I look forward to the added foot traffic, I’m just a little fearful of how it might be managed...and based on your response, I guess we will have to see who ends up in charge.

"Trust, but verify."

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Didn't they make a movie called Hostel?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
We have some up in Maine that used to be used by truckers and logging crews, but have switched over to the hiker and skiers crowd.
There have been minor problems here and there, but for the most part they are longed at favorably, as the guests will usually stop in town for supplies, helping the local economy.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Geez, I’ll have to look it up! That sounds like a scary one..

"Trust, but verify."

Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:

Documentary, if I recall.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hostel 2 was also quite informative.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
We have some up in Maine that used to be used by truckers and logging crews, but have switched over to the hiker and skiers crowd.
There have been minor problems here and there, but for the most part they are longed at favorably, as the guests will usually stop in town for supplies, helping the local economy.

When you say minor problems, I’m wondering how minor. Could I ask you to clarify?

Yes, this is supposed to be geared towards hikers and bikers- my fear, of course, is hookers and blow..and I know that would draw many of you in Wink, but that would be not great for our business..again, I’m excited about the idea, but somewhat anxious about worst possible scenarios. Thanks.

"Trust, but verify."

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monk:
quote:

Documentary, if I recall.

Damn you, Monk! Lol, I actually looked it up Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Hostel 2 was also quite informative.

All right, good grief, you guys! Lol, I’ve got tears in my eyes from laughing. I’m cueing this up tonight for my husband and I to watch. That’ll put us in the mood to welcome our new neighbors..

"Trust, but verify."

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
What kind of business do you have? I mean if you operate a mirror and condom shop you might be on pace for record sales Wink

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
What kind of business do you have? I mean if you operate a mirror and condom shop you might be on pace for record sales Wink

Right??? You’re playing into my fears, lol. We’re in healthcare. Small independent practice, but not necessarily a draw for these folks. Times like this make me wonder about switching to a restaurant, but then I read about Ronin’s trials, and hush my mouth.

"Trust, but verify."

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:

A truly brutal and horrific film, about Hostels and college coeds, but in Eastern Europe.

What has been seen cannot be unseen. Proceed with caution. Seriously...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

A truly brutal and horrific film, about Hostels and college coeds, but in Eastern Europe.

So maybe not the family night movie, hmm? Ok, thanks for the heads up. I don’t need gore, I was thinking it was a little campy.

"Trust, but verify."

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Eastern Europe is where all the fun is.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

So maybe not the family night movie, hmm? Ok, thanks for the heads up. I don’t need gore, I was thinking it was a little campy.

Yeah, dude. It can't be understated; that movie was rough.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:
quote:

Good Lord, no. These are some brutal and gory films. I do not recommend watching them.

I figured you would check the description and reviews on these two movies before submitting yourself to the sick and twisted events portrayed. I should have added a qualifier to my sarcasm so you would know. My apologies.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Ok,
Took them off the movie list for tonight. Never was a gore person. Guess we’ll just see what plays out!

"Trust, but verify."

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no, not only is it gory, it's starkly realistic in its depiction of flat out torture for sadistic torture's sake. I could barely finish it, and I don't mind zombie-like gore, alien-movie gore, etc, but this is different... it's modern day, human vs captive human, in your face, brutality.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post