SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Honda service intervals
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Honda service intervals Login/Join 
posted
When did Honda stop putting the maintenance interval chart in the owner's manual? If it's there I sure can't find it.

Bought a new 2016 CRV last fall, it runs great and is now at 11K. Did the oil change and tire rotation at the dealer at 5 & 10K. I ask because the manual for the CRV does not have a maintenance interval chart as my 1997 Accord did. We followed that, and I'd like to think our preventative maintenance helped the car run a long time (was still running with 190K when I got the CRV).

The dealer made up their own chart that was cheap at 5 & 10K, just oil change and tire rotation. But at 15K they've added balance tires, check brake linings, wheel alignment, and service rear differential. I'm inclined to follow their recommendations even though it may cost a fistful of dollars.

Is anyone aware of a Honda maintenance chart for new vehicles?

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Basically, 5K mile oil changes is pretty conservative. Those cars can usually go 7.5K to 10K between oil changes. I do believe that the rear differential on those has ridiculously short intervals and yes it probably needs new fluid at 15K.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Does seem odd, Sigmund. My wife had a CRV from roughly 2008-2011, but I can't say I recall what was in the owner's manual package. The last decade or so, many manufacturers have put maintenance intervals in a separate book in the package of manuals and warranties. Doesn't sound like Honda, but maybe they inadvertently left out the maintenance interval book from your car.

ETA: I assume you're talking about much more than recommended oil change intervals.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My Kia Sorento manual recommends 7,500 miles or one year between oil changes. It also lists when to change plugs, serpentine belt, etc. I take it the dealer because they only charge $36 for oil and lube.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I think there is a move by Companies to change oil WHEN the oil monitoring system suggests a change.

I was surprised when I got a text and an e mail from GM, when I had a low tire on my new GM car. It was in the garage , parked for a few days and went below 20 pounds, suggested is 35 pounds.

So I'd expect should I let the oil go below 20% or whatever...they will text me. As well as notify me on the cars info screen.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Does seem odd, Sigmund. My wife had a CRV from roughly 2008-2011, but I can't say I recall what was in the owner's manual package. The last decade or so, many manufacturers have put maintenance intervals in a separate book in the package of manuals and warranties. Doesn't sound like Honda, but maybe they inadvertently left out the maintenance interval book from your car.

Here's a link to the manual, most likely the same 25mb one I got off their DVD:

http://owners.honda.com/vehicl...on/2016/CR-V/manuals

Oil changes and tire rotations every 5K don't bother me, they're cheap (and I get a free wash!). I think the meter read 50% before the last oil change (at 10K), but that's chump change plus the dealer gets to look at the car and may find something while it's still under warranty.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just discovered service intervals may be on their site after all, but I have to register and it'll have to wait until after I meet a pal for lunch:

http://owners.honda.com/servic...year=2016&model=CR-V

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If it isn't in the manual, could it be in a booklet separate from it?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That does seem odd.

Did you at least find a "Maintenance Minder code" chart? Most/all Hondas have a built-in system that pops up a code on the info screen when maintenance is due. It's usually something like "Maintenance Due Soon: A13".

You can then consult the chart to find out that "A" means oil change, "1" means tire rotation, and "3" means transmission fluid (or something along those lines).

But it seems odd that a Maintenance Interval Schedule wouldn't be included as well, so that you can plan ahead for upcoming maintenance, rather than simply having to react when the Maintenance Minder goes off.

If you don't see either one of those charts, then I'd say you're looking in the wrong spot. They're likely in a different booklet.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
A quick Google search came up with this...

https://techinfo.honda.com/rja...99/SI9999O00132A.pdf

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
Honda uses a reminder depending on how you drive.
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjan...07/NV0707G00016A.pdf

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iirc there are 2 books. The regular "this is how you shift gears" manual and a second that contains the maintence schedule.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Honda. Neither my Ford Edge nor my wife's Ford Escape have the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual; there is a separate maintenance book with PM schedules that was in the document package for each vehicle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pilot99:

That is indeed in my manual, I just had to look for it. Thanks.

I like to plan ahead, I don't like the idea of learning maintenance is due when it becomes due. For example, we're driving back east in Oct and will put 3-4K on the CRV. I'll be annoyed if a "THIS IS DUE" code comes up ten miles down the road.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

That is indeed in my manual, I just had to look for it. Thanks.

I like to plan ahead, I don't like the idea of learning maintenance is due when it becomes due. For example, we're driving back east in Oct and will put 3-4K on the CRV. I'll be annoyed if a "THIS IS DUE" code comes up ten miles down the road.

My 2013 Honda Pilot has the "Oil Life" percentage indicator on it so I know when it's getting close. The startup icon will also light a little longer as it's getting closer - I would imagine yours is the same way. The dealer should also have a sheet that details the A and B codes and what the numbers after each letter designate - like major or minor service.

Edit to add: just like pilot99's post above shows - haha.

Posts: 164 | Registered: May 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
our 2017 Mazda 6 GT maintence schedule is all on line. Recommend dealer service every 7,500 miles or every 6 months. They save beau coup $$ by going on line, manuals will become obsolete.

The dealership estimates our mileage/& or months & sends us service discount coupons. We take her in twice a year & use coupons.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cudameat:

My 2013 Honda Pilot has the "Oil Life" percentage indicator on it so I know when it's getting close. The startup icon will also light a little longer as it's getting closer - I would imagine yours is the same way. The dealer should also have a sheet that details the A and B codes and what the numbers after each letter designate - like major or minor service.

Edit to add: just like pilot99's post above shows - haha.

It looks like those A&B codes will show on my oil life indicator screen, which right now just says 90%. Funny thing, a "B" code could mean LOTS of things.

My manual (2016 CRV SE) talks about an "iMID" and a "Multi Informational Display" as if they are two different features. There's also an asterisk indicating they're not on all models.

This hi-tech stuff is too much for this old guy! Smile

Pilot99: Check your mail.

Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
B1 is the one that is most common. Cost about $45.00 in our area.

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:

Love how the last page tells you what oil to use.

"Look at the following chart to determine viscosity." Chart has only one choice, 5w20.
Following paragraph. "Yea, you're supposed to always use 5w20."

Seems like a round-about way to get there. Good thing there was a chart. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
B1 is the one that is most common. Cost about $45.00 in our area.

I don't see a B1 on the chart you posted earlier. Is it "Replace engine oil & filter?"