SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Power’s out - Glad to have the generator!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power’s out - Glad to have the generator! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Great to have but don't put it too close to the house. I had a generac 22kw that caught on fire while coming on for it's weekly scheduled 1 hour run. Mine was one of five on Long Island that this happened to this year. Luckily it was 20 feet away from the house giving the fire department plenty of time to arrive before it got out of hand.

I've little doubt there are folks out there that have had good luck with a Generac, but I've never met one.

Generator service tech I know says the company doesn't even support it's vendors, much less Joe Public.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Great to have but don't put it too close to the house. I had a generac 22kw that caught on fire while coming on for it's weekly scheduled 1 hour run. Mine was one of five on Long Island that this happened to this year. Luckily it was 20 feet away from the house giving the fire department plenty of time to arrive before it got out of hand.

I've little doubt there are folks out there that have had good luck with a Generac, but I've never met one.

Generator service tech I know says the company doesn't even support it's vendors, much less Joe Public.

I've heard the same but in fairness they did replace it a no cost to me even though it was out of warranty. Still wish I had bought a Kohler.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We’ve had one for some years. The longest the power was out was almost four days. The system has me switch the house off the grid, then plug the generator into the house circuit. With this we can run everything just as if the power was on.
The generator takes 3-4 gallons a day and is shut down at night. I just got fresh gas and added stabilizer.
When it’s running I chain the generator to some exterior pipes. A thief would have to cut the chain and at that point the guns will come out.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Concur. Mine was fine for about 5 years, then the weekly auto-test feature started acting up. It finally got to the point it wouldn't start at all (yes, I did yearly maint on it) due to the control board. After stupidly spending almost $1500 to have it rewired and new control board installed it began doing the same thing 2 years later. Our power outages are so infrequent now that repairing it again doesn't pass the cost/benefit analysis. I have 2 non-Generac portable generators if need to keep food frozen and beer cold.

Should I ever decide I need a new whole-house generator I'll look at Onan and Kohler.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post