SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Annual OctoberFest thread
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annual OctoberFest thread Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
Rogue - That Spaten on tap is excellent!

Our local German restaurant had Spaten Oktoberfest on tap for their Oktoberfest celebration this weekend. I finally got a chance to try it from a keg, and can confidently state that it's significantly better from a draught than it is bottled.

While it's been my experience that the various Weihenstephaner and Ayinger beers are nearly as good bottled as they are from the tap, with Spaten Oktoberfest specifically, the bottled stuff isn't even close.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Draught - the way all beer should be consumed.

Straight in to the bottom of the glass so a nice head is produced.

Then drink right through the foam to capture all of the intended flavor and subtleties.

Remember the golden rule for quantity. Two wings to fly baby!

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Found a couple pics from the past. Always look forward to seeing it on the shelf every year. Usually get it the first time I see it. Definitely nailed it this year. Cold weather and Octoberfest just compliment each other so well.

Look forward to this thread every year, knowing other weirdos out there think like me. Big Grin

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6968 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Bayern is a Missoula MT. brewery and is hands down my favorite beer.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Can you tell the difference in taste from year to year?

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
Can you tell the difference in taste from year to year?

Yes, last years SA recipe was smeh, this years and 2 years ago is pretty golden.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

Yes, last years SA recipe was smeh, this years and 2 years ago is pretty golden.

Agree. Smile Just had a pair with some antelope burgers this evening. Ahhhhhhhh...... Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Yes. Even decades. I had a Pilsner Urquel in Munich, FRG circa 1982. And a Budvar. The beer today does not taste the same.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Bought some to see how it was this year. Not bad. Not a super fan of Marzen beer but it's pretty decent. I still like the Boston lager even though it's pretty standard. The Marzen beer is malty with a bit of hops at the end but not much. I like the hoppy bite with the Boston lager.

Nice for a change of pace, my wife liked it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
That's what I like about Märzens, Porters & Stouts the lack or reduced focus on hopps.
Never been a fan myself though I know a hopp forward beer is wildly popular these days.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
That's what I like about Märzens, Porters & Stouts the lack or reduced focus on hopps.
Never been a fan myself though I know a hopp forward beer is wildly popular these days.

Same here. My three favorite styles are Marzens, Hefeweizens, and Wits. All of which feature minimal hops.

I prefer my beer to taste like gourmet bread. Not like Pine-Sol or grass clippings.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

Same here. My three favorite styles are Marzens, Hefeweizens, and Wits. All of which feature minimal hops.

I prefer my beer to taste like gourmet bread. Not like Pine-Sol or grass clippings.

Me neither. Boston Lager has just the right amount for me. No Pine Sol.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The "Sam Swag" arrived.
The SA wayfarers & sweatbands made me laugh !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Thats awesome!

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Well, it's occurred.
This has never taken this long in the year but tonight I've finally finished the last of 2016 OctoberFest.

Next weekend I break into the 2017 stock off the pallet !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
GB: I certainly enjoy this thread in its annual review!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I'm anxiously awaiting the chance to "attack the stack" !
I know every year a brew is different but this style (high malt low hops) is my favorite.
I've already been enjoying Samuel Adams White Christmas & Winter Lager.
But it's time to settle in my all time favorite brew.
And I am ready.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%