SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Newsletter software ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newsletter software ? Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
I make the monthly newsletter for my gun club. Been doing it since 2012 with Open Office and filing it as .doc and delivering as .pdf with gmail. Fairly simple, but aggravating when formats get all screwed up. I'd like to get a little fancier, but it has to remain simple. My newsletters are usually 7-8 pages.

I think I have reached the limits of Open office (as far as I know). It is getting harder find ways to make the newsletter better.

Looking for suggestions. Does MS Word have better publishing features? Or is there a favorite canned software?

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Does your gun club have a website?
Why not just do it all in html and have it posted there? That way you could have archives of past months newsletters available for instant access.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What specifically is the problem?

I know MS Word and there are "templates" available but most of the templates are jerry-rigged, I found. Here's what I mean: I was looking to print a monthly agenda for a group formatted like a booklet form - an 8 1/2" x 11" page folded in half that would read like a book. The templates I found were "fake" in that I can't just write on page 1 and have it flow to what should be the second page. I had to create my own template in terms of orientation, columns, space between the columns, and margins.

Does open office have such templates or that you can create?

Otherwise, you would need a "Publishing" program and not just a document editor like Word. MS Office has Publisher but I'm thinking you can find a simpler and cheaper solution.

I googled microsoft alternatives and this is one of the hits. Scribus which is at the bottom of the list shows up in other lists. I would look into that if I were in your shoes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking to step it up, Adobe InDesign or Microsoft Publisher might be worth looking into.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
MS Publisher is great for this.
It is a part of MS Office ~ use version 2010 or greater only.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Publisher is easiest for the novice.
If you need more control look elsewhere.

Adobe Pagemaker, indesign etc.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
MS Publisher is great for this.

My wife does our gun club's monthly newsletter, and Publisher is what she uses. She saves it as a .pdf, sends it to the printer, and he prints and mails it. The club's webmaster also posts it on the website.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I've never tried it, but have heard of Lucidpress for a few years. It's offered as a free alternative to MS Pub.

https://www.lucidpress.com/pag...ublisher-alternative

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
The school my kids go to sends a weekly update and they use a program called MailChimp.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
MS Publisher was built for this purpose.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I taught classes in Publisher for adult education a number of years ago. It is exactly what you need.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I'll second Mail Chimp for something that is purely .PDF and email based.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Many use MailChimp, but I prefer to use a website called Vertical Response. It's much easier to use in my opinion. You can send up to 1000 emails per month free. The website has tools that are very easy to use and has statistics for each email you send. My wife and I are missionaries and use this for our monthly newsletter.

Posts: 353 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post