SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida SRO Pawned Pistol, Carried Pellet Pistol.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida SRO Pawned Pistol, Carried Pellet Pistol. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
what a travesty

stop the world I want to get off

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The more ominous question for me is, what do you suppose a man who would pawn his gun would do once the shooting started.......even if he had a gun?

Run, but not in the correct direction.

A little light reading suggests that the districts/schools that went the security officer route drew almost entirely from retired cops and former military, and had plenty of well-qualified from both applying. How this Mutant-American landed a job is an absolute mystery to me.

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
A little light reading suggests that the districts/schools that went the security officer route drew almost entirely from retired cops and former military, and had plenty of well-qualified from both applying. How this Mutant-American landed a job is an absolute mystery to me.

According to their website:

"Two-thirds of our district’s current security officers are current or former law enforcement officers and one-third are current or former military servicemembers."

But 66% Law Enforcement and 33% Military doesn't mean 99% total LE/Mil. There's likely significant overlap between those two populations, considering the majority of LEOs are current/former military, and a decent chunk of military guys are/were some form of military police. So it'd be something more like ~75% total LE/Mil, which would still leave ~25% that are neither.

Also, just because someone is "former LE/Mil" (or sometimes even "current LE/Mil") doesn't automatically mean they're not an idiot. There are plenty of morons with poor judgement and even worse money management skills that are former LE/Mil. (Might even be the reason why they're "former"...)

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Also, just because someone is "former LE/Mil" (or sometimes even "current LE/Mil") doesn't automatically mean they're not an idiot. There are plenty of morons with poor judgement and even worse money management skills that are former LE/Mil. (Might even be the reason why they're "former"...)

Oh, agreed. There are co-workers (current and former) who I'd trust with the keys to my house, banking PINs, and power of attorney. Then there are co-workers (current and former) who I wouldn't trust with a $100 prepaid VISA.

But the screening for one of these guys-- either set-- should be somewhat more streamlined and probably more reliable. "DennisM retired from your job last month. Here's a release... can I see his entire personnel and IA jackets after I'm done interviewing half a dozen guys who worked with him and have school-aged children?"

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The more ominous question for me is, what do you suppose a man who would pawn his gun would do once the shooting started.......even if he had a gun?

This sparked a thought. Have ANY of our school shootings occurred in disadvantaged neighborhoods? I'm not including drive by and hand related issued...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
In the army I saw an Air Force SP who skipped weapons draw and was pulling people over unarmed so he could get off work 15 mins. Sooner.. I was in his flight chiefs office shooting the shit when he found out and boy I’ll tell ya. I didn’t think Airmen actually got yelled at but this guy got an ass chewing that had to do some emotional damage

As a former Air Force SP, he is not the last to try that.

He also got emotionally damaged by the conversation.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
What I am seeing out of current recruiting isn’t good. Seems to be a fair amount of young officers that I wish would try as hard to be the po-leece as they do at appearing to be the po-leece on their social media platforms.

Most graduate the academy and think they are entitled to be assigned straight to SWAT or CSI. But their supervisor and peer reviews suck.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
In the army I saw an Air Force SP who skipped weapons draw and was pulling people over unarmed so he could get off work 15 mins. Sooner.. I was in his flight chiefs office shooting the shit when he found out and boy I’ll tell ya. I didn’t think Airmen actually got yelled at but this guy got an ass chewing that had to do some emotional damage

As a former Air Force SP, he is not the last to try that.

He also got emotionally damaged by the conversation.

Creating a significant emotional event in a young Airman (or young officer) is an art form that takes many years to perfect.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post