SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Audible Amazon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audible Amazon Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted
Anyone use it, how does it work with credits. Is the amazon charge of 14.95 a once yearly or is it more often.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've been an Audible member for several years. I love it. The app is well-designed and convenient, and the quality of the audiobooks is outstanding. And they've even started releasing enhanced audiobooks with full music, sound effects, and different voice actors for each part. Sort of like listening to an old style radio play, or "hearing a movie".

It's $14.95 per month for the standard membership. That gets you one credit per month. A credit can be redeemed for one audiobook, at any price. Considering most audiobooks are $20-$30 (or more), the $14.95 represents a decent savings. And they routinely have 2-for-1 sales and other promotions, which can stretch your credits even further.

Even if you don't have any credits available, you can still purchase additional audiobooks at normal price. And there are sales on those all the time too.

There are other membership plans at other prices, with either more credits or fewer credits. For example, you can pay a bit more and get 2 credits per month. Or there's a cheaper plan that gets you 1 credit every other month.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With over 700 books in my audible account and 1000 elsewhere i like it. I do the 149 about every 30 days. I listen to about 12 to 20 books a month. Some books once a year, some 3 or more times.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
They sometimes have a free trial with two credits. If you cancel they will offer 3 months at half price for 1 credit a month. They also have offers of 3 credits for $33ish. You can bump up to 2 credits for $22/mo.

Your books are yours. Most I buy for a credit would be $45+ each. I listen to them on my drive to work.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
With over 700 books in my audible account and 1000 elsewhere i like it. I do the 149 about every 30 days. I listen to about 12 to 20 books a month. Some books once a year, some 3 or more times.

Jeez, that's impressive.

I listen about 2 hours/day, and it still takes me a week to get through most books (most of mine are 10-20 hours per book).

You must have a lot of free time!

Posts: 406 | Location: Transplanted from UT to MD | Registered: August 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoppes no9:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

Jeez, that's impressive.

I listen about 2 hours/day, and it still takes me a week to get through most books (most of mine are 10-20 hours per book).

You must have a lot of free time!

Stay at home dad. I have been a member since 2007. My son, Albert (14) goes through about 4 books amonth off my audible account. We split some of those 12 credits a month. I do tend to listen to many of his books. He likes the following authors also.

Larry Correia, John Ringo, Christopher G. Nuttal, Chris Kennedy, Jon Del Arroz, Mark Whandrey, Craig Alanson,Brad R Torgersen, Marko Kloos

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Direkt
posted Hide Post
I have Audible, and am in love with it. I don't know how I'd do my monotonous job without it. I read a lot of history and sociology books with ample science fiction sprinkled in. Because of Audible I feel confident in describing myself as "the most educated college dropout you're likely to meet".

Posts: 461 | Location: South Jordan, UT | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Direkt:
I have Audible, and am in love with it. I don't know how I'd do my monotonous job without it. I read a lot of history and sociology books with ample science fiction sprinkled in. Because of Audible I feel confident in describing myself as "the most educated college dropout you're likely to meet".

I love history, with a sprinkling of biographies and over 60 great courses history lessons i know what you are getting at.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The only negative is listening at bedtime. I fall asleep and forget my place.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

I had to make a rule against listening to audiobooks in bed, after struggling with that too many times. I now have two books on deck at any given time: one audiobook for when I'm driving, working out, or doing chores around the house, and one Kindle book for when I'm in bed, waiting for something, or on the crapper.

I mainly listen to military history books and sci-fi/fantasy books.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
How does one know how many credits a title costs on Audible? There is a way to search by price, but I see no information regarding the cost for a title in Audible credits.

I have read, for example, that some of the Pimsleur titles cost 5 credits, but I do not know if that is true.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
How does one know how many credits a title costs on Audible?

I think you're overthinking things. A credit is good for one book, at any price. That is, you can exchange one credit for any one audiobook that Audible carries, regardless of the price.

When you log into your Audible account and browse their audiobooks, the price will be listed as "$19.95 or 1 credit", or "$4.99 or 1 credit", or whatever. You are presented the option to either buy it with a credit (if you have any left), or buy it with real money.

And sometimes they run sales or specials, where you can get 2 books for one credit.

Any credits that you don't use will roll over to the next month, to a maximum of 5 total credits in the "bank" at any time.

If it's a cheap book, you're usually better off just buying the book with real money. It totally defeats the purpose of paying $14.95 for a monthly credit, just to use it on a $3 book. I typically save my credits to use for the pricier $20/$30/$40 audiobooks, and buy books that are under $15 with real money.

Even better, Audible members typically get a discount on any books they buy with real money. So the prices you're seeing now, as a non-member browsing the Audible store, will be higher than what you'd pay as a member.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
I have read, for example, that some of the Pimsleur titles cost 5 credits, but I do not know if that is true.

With the Pimsleur language-learning titles, it looks like they're broken down into blocks of lessons. Each group of lessons is considered one "audiobook". https://www.audible.com/series...E9HQF1J4S6PCW723KDN&

So, for example, if you wanted the entire Pimsleur Spanish Level 1 series, you'd need to purchase:
-Lesson 1-5: $22.35 or 1 credit
-Lesson 6-10: $22.35 or 1 credit
-Lesson 11-15: $22.35 or 1 credit
-Lesson 16-20: $22.35 or 1 credit
-Lesson 21-25: $22.35 or 1 credit
-Lesson 26-30: $22.35 or 1 credit

To get the entire Level 1 Spanish series, that would be $134.10, or 6 credits, or a combination of money and credits.

But if you bought the entire Level 1 Spanish series on audio CD from Amazon, it would be $189.99 for the physical CD version. https://www.amazon.com/Pimsleu...rds=pimsleur+spanish

It's just like buying any audiobooks in a series. For example, you can't just spend 1 credit and get the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. You have to buy each of the three books in that series separately, using either money or credits (or a combination).

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Had a friend that dated one of those once.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I found that I can't listen to audio books and concentrate on only the book. Just listening to the book, my mind wanders and I don't remember anything I've just listened to.

I have to actually be reading the book to be able to concentrate on it.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
I'm a long time Audible user.

HOWEVER, now I rarely use Audible to get audiobooks.

There are apps that let you borrow audiobooks (and ebooks) from libraries, for "free."

It used to be the Overdrive app was THE app for libraries, both audiobooks and ebooks, but now some libraries are using other apps, such as Axis360.

I have joined three different county library systems, and likely to join more. I only had to actually be at one of their physical locations one time, to join and get a card/number. Since then I don't have to go to the library, ever. I borrow, and download, both audiobooks and ebooks, through the apps.

Prior to using libraries for audiobooks and ebooks, I was a 2 credit/month ($23/month) member of Audible, and often purchased additional books. Meaning I was spending at least $276 a year on audiobooks.

After switching to getting my audiobooks via the libaries (Overdrive and Axis360 apps), I now get one Audible credit every other month, for $15 a credit. You need to call their customer service for that deal, as they don't advertise it on the website.

That means I'm now spending only $90 a year on Audible, and getting the rest of my audiobooks from the libraries. I actually listen to more audiobooks now, as most are "free" from the libraries.

The only reason I keep the 6 credits a year from Audible, is for the very rare occasions where none of the library systems I am a member of have a title I want, or if there is a title I'm particularly impatient to get, and don't want to wait for the title to be available through a library.

When you add in the savings on ebooks, I'm reading/listening to many more books, but spending a fraction of what I was before I discovered the library apps.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Not every Kindle book has an audio version; but I usually get the audio version if available so I can "read" the book in the car or at the gym and the like.
Maybe just my brain, but I do tend to remember the contents better from reading than from listening.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I love audible. The best part is that if the book sucks you can return it and get your credit back and pick something else. Also audible has free books under the collections tab. I listened to columbine book there that was great. If anyone wants to try it out email me your amazon/audible email address and I can donate a book to you. Just know most of my stuff is true crime.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

I had to make a rule against listening to audiobooks in bed, after struggling with that too many times. I now have two books on deck at any given time: one audiobook for when I'm driving, working out, or doing chores around the house, and one Kindle book for when I'm in bed, waiting for something, or on the crapper.

I mainly listen to military history books and sci-fi/fantasy books.

You can add "bookmarks" and use the sleep timer. This way even if you fall asleep right away you're never more than 30 minutes from your spot.

I joined in 2013, have 136 books in my library and a little over 2.5 months of listening time. Daily Deals and the bigger sales are great ways to add books for less than the cost of a credit, usually $2 to $5.

Posts: 594 | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post