SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Idiot pulls a gun on a man and his wife in a Sam's store because they were wearing MAGA hats
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiot pulls a gun on a man and his wife in a Sam's store because they were wearing MAGA hats Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Dumb and Dumber.
Somebody had to say it. Smile

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I think "defuse", not "diffuse".
But yes, some poor action by both parties.

flashguy

Yep, fixed it. Thanks! Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the left really is that 'unhinged'.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

The ideal response.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
I remember reading once upon a time, that the three most dangerous words in the English language were "Go ahead, shoot." This guy gave it a try.

As Balze said, a whole lotta' stupid in one place.

Yeah...

quote:
Pierce went on to tell 13 News, "I said, 'Then pull the trigger. Put the gun down and fight me or pull the trigger. Whichever one you want.'

That was dumb. If someone is waving a gun in my face I'm going to try to defuse the situation... not dare him to pull the trigger.

I see it as really going only one of two ways depending on what your "gut" is telling you.

If in the moment, you feel he is likely to shoot based on the totality of his words, actions, apparent state of mind and non-verbal cues (processed mostly by your subconscious resulting in that "gut" feeling), then run or fight!

If, in that moment you feel that he will not shoot, then immediately de-escalate as the safest method to avoid both being shot or causing an escalation that could result in your wife or another bystander getting shot. Constantly re-assessing in case it goes sideways.

Based on the idiotic actions of the MAGA hat wearer, he either got a gut feeling the guy wouldn't shoot or he got so mad he ignored whatever gut feeling he may have had. Either way, he was right, the guy didn't want to shoot, but verbal escalation, then following him and engaging again was really dumb.

Fight for your life or de-escalate...the middle ground is a graveyard for the stupid.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The “I’m not afraid of you” reaction is surprisingly common. But, however, sometimes people should be. Sometimes people who are motivated enough to threaten with a gun can be talked into using it:

Murder of Nicole duFresne.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
In the end one person is paying for their actions and the other's actions caused no harm. So they may have both been dumb, but one clearly more so than the other.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The “I’m not afraid of you” reaction is surprisingly common. But, however, sometimes people should be. Sometimes people who are motivated enough to threaten with a gun can be talked into using it:

Murder of Nicole duFresne.

Humans the way they are, I would say, unsurprisingly common.

Q

Posts: 26346 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fight for your life or de-escalate...the middle ground is a graveyard for the stupid.

That should be carved in stone somewhere.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I think the "victim" watched too many Dirty Harry movies.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I think "defuse", not "diffuse".
But yes, some poor action by both parties.

flashguy

Yep, fixed it. Thanks! Big Grin
You're welcome. (You will note that I did not identify where the presumed error occurred. I just wanted to be helpful.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’m not going to fault the guy. I wasn’t there, I don’t know what his plan or thought process was. I’ll say this though, dumb or not kudos to him standing up to this moron.

Smart to follow out? Maybe not but it let him get the info needed or delay until the cops got there.

Most such cases the bad guy is gone well before the cops get there and is rarely id’d so free to keep putting people at risk.

Me, in a crowded store I think I’d just start screaming GUN! GUN! GUN! as loud as I could and draw as much attention to the guy as I could then <jwick: on> once he turns and looks to see what others are doing, draw and double tap chest followed by headshot, then 360 degree scan, and holster if no other threats present <jwick: off>

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Police say Phillips has a current concealed carry permit in Tennessee, where he is from”

Not for long

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I said, 'Then pull the trigger'

Not the last words I'd want on my tombstone personally....

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not going to fault the guy. I wasn’t there, I don’t know what his plan or thought process was.

Same here. Many people will say he 'shoulda, woulda, coulda' but unless you've had a gun pointed at you in anger, you don't really know what your reaction will be.

Glad he made it out alive. Hope the other guy likes prison food . . . and penis.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is why I shop at Costco. Smile

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
He couldn't leave because his mother was still in the store.

That's funny. Will Mom bail him out?

Likely not, because she finally has her basement back.

Big Grin

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
We discussed this on another board.

General agreement is that Pierce is a HUGE dumbass both for taunting the guy while he was holding a gun on him AND for confronting him again outside.

He's damned lucky to be alive.

On that board it also spurred a lot of chest beating and "I'd have kicked his ass" stuff. I said I didn't know what I'd have done.

I think if I'd have felt truly threatened, or if I felt my wife/family was in danger, I'd have tried to shoot the asshole.

Then again, with a fo-tay in my face, I might have just pissed my pants and begged him not to hurt me.

I seriously doubt anybody really KNOWS what their reaction will be until it happens. Too many variables.

Sam's sell baseball bats, don't they?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
"And stay out of the Sam's Club!"

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually your gut instincts are correct, and he probably thought it was safe to follow the jerk out to his car. This would probably be the only way the perp would get caught.

Mouthing off to the guy not a good idea, but your gut instincts are very reliable.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post