New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more moles Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the Rodenator Pro looks like the ticket for dealing with the critters in my yard...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
If you get it just right adding lime can change the PH of the soil enough to discourage the grubs. However it can actually attract earthworms... normally a good thing, but moles actually prefer earthworms to grubs.
Because of this most scientific research I have seen says lime won't work.

All the grub killing insecticides I have looked at have to be watered in, and they kill everything, including earthworms.
I don't have the water pressure or the means to apply the recommended 1 inch of water to activate them on my large yard. The company I emailed said the poison would rapidly lose effectiveness if not watered in, in 24 hours, and would fail to work.

SO, now I'm thinking I can buy some Grubex or other, and then wait for it to start raining, and go out and spread it in the rain and hope for one inch of rain! My neighbors already think I'm crazy so that isn't a concern. LOL!

Rat poison in the holes will kill them too - better than the 'worms' they sell specifically for moles. I like the 'assault' brand. 1 pack split into 3 locations (at tunnel forks) usually gets rid of them in a day or 2.

My understanding was that Grubex & the like wouldn't kill earthworms, but could very well be wrong.
My yard was think with june bugs yesterday morning, so I assume my grubs are gone for the most part.....

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those scissor traps you put in their tunnel and step on it to set it. It works great, kinda fun to catch them that way.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooch:
I bought one of those scissor traps you put in their tunnel and step on it to set it. It works great, kinda fun to catch them that way.

Those do work great but there's definitely a learning curve in getting them right.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
My yard exhibits biodiversity meaning lots of weeds, and also moles. They don't worry me too much.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
At the risk of piling on, I've had good results with Tomcat Mole Killer worms. Look like gummy worms. Not cheap, but once you get control it's not so bad. As soon as I see an incursion into the yard I drop 1 or 2 into the tunnel. Leaves the real worms alone to do their thing. YMMV, of course.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I've used the Grub ex with no success, as they were clearly still just eating the earth worms despite all the grub treatments. I also tried the Tomcat gummy worms with no success. Multiple packs and the moles just ignore them and keep tunneling right past the bait.

These Wire Tek traps are the only thing that have worked for me. I've killed a dozen moles with them this year and killed another dozen last year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought I was in pretty good shape after getting so many last year. Then over the course of a few weeks they came out like crazy. At one point I killed 3 a day with these traps. It took a couple weeks and they are all cleared out again.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I sit on the porch with a wrist rocket and shoot avocado pits at them...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
and if you have lime left over, please be aware that the thing about lime making bodies decompose faster is actually not true!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post