Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more moles Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
Had problem with moles for years. Tried lots of remedies with no luck. Couple years ago I put a lot of lime on our lawn. Sort of forgot about the moles because I wasn't seeing any. That is the last remedy I tried. Maybe the lime did the trick. Anyway I am going to put more lime down.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'll be interested to see if there's a reason this works. Your grass happy with the lime? Moles are persistent survivors, that's for sure.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moles eat grubs, etc. The lime changes soil chemistry. Grubs move out since soil is no longer to their liking. ERGO,the moles follow.

Posts: 28 | Registered: January 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My Dad lives in the Upper Midwest and has had limited success with lime. He also uses GrubEx and pulls a water filled roller behind his tractor over any tracks that come in from the woods behind or the neighbors.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Sam, my outdoor kitty prefers moles.
Often a star-nosed mole, minus some brain matter, appears in my garage.
No need for lime or other chemicsls.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Forgive my ignorance, but I was expecting to read about a trip to the dermatologist. DURP!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
What form is the lime that you apply in and how are you applying it?

I have a pasture that is failing, largely in part I believe to moss, or the moss is at least a symptom of the issue. I spread quite a bit last year and really saw no results. It was a very fine powder form. I believe I spread about 3-400 lbs over about an acre, maybe a little more. Seemed like the wind took enough of it. I've heard of it in small pellet form and was considering trying that.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I hate moles.

I'll try the lime then grubex if that yields poor results.

Thanks for the tips.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the Grubex and it does work, but you have to use it twice a year and with the amount of property I have that is very costly.
I never tried the roller, but I do have a utility diesel tractor that weighs about 3000lbs that I run over their trails with. They did get out doing that.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but I was expecting to read about a trip to the dermatologist.

Yeah I was hoping a thread about spies. Know what you mean.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mara5:
Moles eat grubs, etc. The lime changes soil chemistry. Grubs move out since soil is no longer to their liking. ERGO,the moles follow.

^ Fact. This is why.

Posts: 517 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Castor oil works great for me, moles hate the stuff.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:

Pelletized lime is best. It dissolves faster in rain, and does not cake up like powdered lime.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I used the pelletized and spread with fertilize spreader. Don't know if the lime is the reason they left but I am putting down more. Did not bother the grass. The grubex is too expensive and I stopped using it long ago. My lawn is too large. I tried castor oil but no luck. If you try the lime don't expect good results the first year. Like I said the lime is the last remedy I tried.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
good tip - I'm going to try the lime

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
Castor oil works great for me, moles hate the stuff.

Tough to get them to take it though, you need a very small spoon. Also try sprinkling salt on them.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Of course, you could take a more direct approach:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/fIMfir6r1Rc

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a pasture that is failing, largely in part I believe to moss, or the moss is at least a symptom of the issue. I spread quite a bit last year and really saw no results. It was a very fine powder form. I believe I spread about 3-400 lbs over about an acre, maybe a little more. Seemed like the wind took enough of it. I've heard of it in small pellet form and was considering trying that.

In a previous career I spread lime quite a little bit. It was not uncommon to apply 3 tons per acre, nor was it uncommon for the soil to actually require > 5 tons. This lime would be incorporated into the soil, which in a pasture you can't do.

You would be wise to investigate spreading ag lime ( pennies on the dollar when compared to palletized lime) then disk and plow it in and reseed. The toughest part will be convincing someone to come spread a half a spreader load.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
quote:

In a previous career I spread lime quite a little bit. It was not uncommon to apply 3 tons per acre, nor was it uncommon for the soil to actually require > 5 tons. This lime would be incorporated into the soil, which in a pasture you can't do.

You would be wise to investigate spreading ag lime ( pennies on the dollar when compared to palletized lime) then disk and plow it in and reseed. The toughest part will be convincing someone to come spread a half a spreader load.

County extension office would be a place to start to get expert opinions on what's going on - they're there to help. Pictures and a soil sample will help.

Sounds like A) need to aerate the grass. B) if you truly need lime, 3-400lb ain't shit. For an acre, I'd start w/half a ton of pelletized or 1 ton of ag (the white powder you likely spread). pell-lime is considered better in most cases.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
If you get it just right adding lime can change the PH of the soil enough to discourage the grubs. However it can actually attract earthworms... normally a good thing, but moles actually prefer earthworms to grubs.
Because of this most scientific research I have seen says lime won't work.

All the grub killing insecticides I have looked at have to be watered in, and they kill everything, including earthworms.
I don't have the water pressure or the means to apply the recommended 1 inch of water to activate them on my large yard. The company I emailed said the poison would rapidly lose effectiveness if not watered in, in 24 hours, and would fail to work.

SO, now I'm thinking I can buy some Grubex or other, and then wait for it to start raining, and go out and spread it in the rain and hope for one inch of rain! My neighbors already think I'm crazy so that isn't a concern. LOL!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post