SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do dogs rotate clockwise in the southern hemisphere?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do dogs rotate clockwise in the southern hemisphere? Login/Join 
posted
I live in a walking neighborhood with sidewalks & take my dog out twice a day. It seems that 90% of the time when meeting other dogs they tangle leashes by rotating counterclockwise for sniff & greet. Just wondering if in Australia & South America dogs rotate clockwise?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Wait, the coriolis effect applies to dogs? Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I had a dog once that would turn around clockwise three times before laying down. It was explained to me that they would do that in the wild to mat down grasses to sleep in. Go figure.

Maybe there is some relation to this.

Can't help you with the clockwise/counterclockwise thing, though.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Wait, the coriolis effect applies to dogs? Wink

That seems to be the issue at paw.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Now this is a question I have never thought about...my dogs ALWAYS rotated clockwise 2-3 times before settling down...HOW ABOUT below the equator, is it reversed like toilet swirling...I'm serious in this question, I would really like to know Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Sooo....everyone has right handed dogs? Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This might require a road trip to the South Pacific for research purposes.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
I live in a walking neighborhood with sidewalks & take my dog out twice a day. It seems that 90% of the time when meeting other dogs they tangle leashes by rotating counterclockwise for sniff & greet. Just wondering if in Australia & South America dogs rotate clockwise?

Interesting idea, very nice.
That earns you a CUT, name it.
Heck, looking at your join date, you could have had one when the new 10 year policy was instituted.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Now this is a question I have never thought about...my dogs ALWAYS rotated clockwise 2-3 times before settling down...HOW ABOUT below the equator, is it reversed like toilet swirling...I'm serious in this question, I would really like to know Smile

My GSP goes counter clockwise before laying down, neither of us have been down under.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If you had asked this two weeks ago, I could have attempted to answer it, on my first trip below the equator.
So instead I sent your query off to our friends in Tasmania.
Might want to alert 0-0 in Buenos Aires, as there might be a difference. In Australia they also drive on the wrong side.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:

Interesting idea, very nice.
That earns you a CUT, name it.
Heck, looking at your join date, you could have had one when the new 10 year policy was instituted.

CUT, CUT, CUT...we are totally waiting for the choice...CUT, CUT, CUT! Big Grin

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
We're just plowing ahead you know, come what what may.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It’s not a N. vs. S. hemisphere thing – it’s a left-handed vs. right-handed thing. Right-handed ice skaters nearly always prefer to spin CCW, and left-handed ice skaters nearly always prefer to spin CW. ~90% of people are right-handed, and I suspect that dogs have a similar asymmetric bias.

I’ve done a lot of ice skating, and right-handed skaters, including me, also generally prefer to skate in a CCW traffic flow around the rink.

Now... halibut (fish) are symmetrical when they hatch. But as they mature, one eye move to the other side, such that both eyes are on the same side of the head, and they begin swimming on their sides, such that their eyes look up. Most, but not all, halibuts have the same “handedness”. I’ve always wondered if right-handed boy halibuts have any interest in left handed girl halibuts. Hm.. time for another glass of Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Tawny Port…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now... halibut (fish) are symmetrical when they hatch. But as they mature, one eye move to the other side, such that both eyes are on the same side of the head, and they begin swimming on their sides, such that their eyes look up. Most, but not all, halibuts have the same “handedness”. I’ve always wondered if right-handed boy halibuts have any interest in left handed girl halibuts. Hm.. time for another glass of Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Tawny Port…

Yes sounds good. Flounder have similar eyes. I remember in college, various things inscribed in the old wooden desks in the Main building. Such questions as Whether frogs have watertight assholes and such. It is good to ponder such things.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
We're just plowing ahead you know, come what what may.

Wink Smile

Jimmy Buffet

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
My theory is that it has to do with the fact that here in th U.S. we drive and walk on the right side of the path. So when two dogs meet on a walk each dog is to the other's left and each is looking to sniff the other's bunghole, thus it stands to reason as they try to get their nose in there for a good stuff, their ass ends are going to be in constant retreat, creating a counter-clockwise spin.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
So we await our British and Japanese colleagues commentary. However the manners of these societies may preclude butt sniffing, even amongst dogs.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
In Australia they also drive on the wrong side.

No, they drive on the left side of the road, which I think explains a lot.

To drive on the wrong side of the road requires going underneath it. That's what E.Musk is working on.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dog circles a bunch of times before he drops a deuce, now I'm gonna have to start paying attention to which direction he circles

Posts: 1092 | Location: Michigan | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
90% of people are right-handed
Well, that's certainly true in the northern hemisphere.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post