SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daniel Shaver shooting in Mesa AZ....
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daniel Shaver shooting in Mesa AZ.... Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I hope that piece of shit gets some serious karma.

The poor guy died terrified and in tears.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I believe a person can become so rattled and unable to behave that this sort of thing can happen.

To me, the officers were per perfectly safe. Suspect on the ground, their guns trained on him
,finger on trigger, there's no way the suspect could present a gun and get shots off before the officers could pull their triggers.

Clearly the suspect was scared out of his mind, practically crying, totally stressed and rattled, momentarily unable to comply.

The officers were in total control of the situation, and safe.

They should have called for backup to arrive, taken their time and deescelate the situation. They were in total and safe control.

And what about that poor girl? I'm sure she's traumatized.

Those 2 psychopaths should never have been police officers.

Put me on the jury and that officer is guilty and gets the strongest ultimate possible punishment.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So I have not watched and don't plan to.

I wish I hadn't.
That was disgusting.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disturbing that could happen let alone be found not guilty of anything.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
All of you guys calling the cop a murderer, an assassin, etc, I'd love to hear more. You saw the video. A gun was believed to be in play. The suspect made a move to reach behind his back. If you only saw the portion of the video from the point where the suspect starts crawling towards the cop, you'd be saying the guy should have followed instructions and got what he deserved.

The suspect was terrified, which caused him to make several mistakes, the last of which got him shot. If the cops were trigger happy or out to kill someone, they could have done it the first time he reached behind his back.

It's a bad shoot because the situation did not have to be handled that way and the cops used poor judgment in failing to de-escalate the scene and in evaluating the dangers presented by the suspect, but I don't understand calling the cop a murderer.

(also a lot of you seem to think the shooter and the cop yelling instructions are the same guy.....they are two different cops).

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
What would ya call that cop then?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
What would ya call that cop then?

A real bad cop.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That was an execution.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So I have not watched and don't plan to.

I wish I hadn't.
That was disgusting.

Yeah, that video will stick with me for awhile. I can just imagine how terrorized that poor guy was. That cop should be assigned to a desk from now on with nothing more dangerous than a pencil at hand.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What happened to "walk backwards towards me. Lay on the ground face down with your hands intertwined behind your head and legs crossed." And then someone come and handcuff the guy?

Seriously, having that guy come forward doesn't look like the most secure and safest procedure even if he was on his knees. It went one of two ways. The other would have been the guy comes close enough and put the cops at risk then it's be another case study of what not to do.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Very disturbing. No idea if things would have turned out differently, but it makes me think it might have been safer for the suspect to just refuse to move at all once his hands were either out front on the floor, or behind his head, for fear any movement he made might be misinterpreted. I'm not criticizing him as he was trying to comply while in a terrified state - I'm looking at it from a "what should I do if in the same shitty predicament" perspective.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Allowing a zillion fire ants to eat the yeller, shooter, and judge alive would be cruel.

...to the ants.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I find ridiculous is that the officers had him in a position to be cuffed and subdued safely and didn't. Now it might be regs to have him come to the officers but then it brings into play that the lady dropped the bag pretty much in the way of where the guy had to crawl past, putting him into proximity to a bag that had who knows what in it that could potentially harm the officers. With that in play it would have been more prudent to go to him instead of introducing that other uncertainty, and thus having a different outcome. I have defended countless officer involved shootings at work with other coworkers, making me somewhat unpopular, but I cant see any defense in this shooting at all.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I don't know why they didn't walk right up to him while he was face down and slap some cuffs on him. Crazy to watch. I tried kneeling with my legs crossed, hands straight up and walking on my knees and it's hard as hell to do without several cops screaming and pointing rifles at you. I thought he was going to get shot the first time both his hands went behind his back for several seconds. Shooter should never work as a LEO again I hope.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
[Q[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that video will stick with me for awhile. I can just imagine how terrorized that poor guy was. That cop should be assigned to a desk from now on with nothing more dangerous than a pencil at hand.

Jim[/QUOTE]

No desk.
A prison cell and a bed sheet. For both the shooter and his co-conspirator.

Posts: 9503 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fucking ROBO Cop in action. Another wanna be Rambo..

Suspects on the ground, arms spread eagle, legs crossed, gun trained on him.....so other officer goes over and slaps cuffs on him, damn it. Then frisk him.

What is so difficult about that?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Talk about a controlling prick. Overcomplicated instructions almost designed to confuse the victim. The kid posed no threat whatsoever. The cop should be on death row awaiting a needle in his arm.

This happened right down the road from me. From the onset you knew it was going to be politicked because of his family and church affiliations.

And that's exactly what happened. An execution and a cover-up.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Very disturbing. No idea if things would have turned out differently, but it makes me think it might have been safer for the suspect to just refuse to move at all once his hands were either out front on the floor, or behind his head, for fear any movement he made might be misinterpreted. I'm not criticizing him as he was trying to comply while in a terrified state - I'm looking at it from a "what should I do if in the same shitty predicament" perspective.

Yep. I'm on the ground spread eagle. My hands are away from me and empty. I have no weapons. I am not going to move for fear of being killed. Come and cuff me whenever you want.
Also, am I the only one that sees his empty right hand before he is shot?

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was handled poorly. They appear to have had enough room from the corner of that hallway to not be exposed had they decided to cuff the suspects on the floor. Complicating the commands by having him crawl was not needed.

The other lesson here is don’t get drunk in a hotel, wave guns out a window and disobey moronic albeit legal commands of a LEO. If your shorts fall down, let them fall to the ground so they can see not only your balls rubbing on the floor but that you have no weapons on you. That is better than getting dead.

Following the advice of the city lawyers, Mesa PD terminated this LEO for reasons not related to this shooting. Right.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Bad Cop and a bad shoot. Glad he was fired and he should have been convicted, but he won't be a Cop ever again and will have to live with his poor choices for the rest of his life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4859,

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post