SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daniel Shaver shooting in Mesa AZ....
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daniel Shaver shooting in Mesa AZ.... Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
That officer is a fucking idiot that’s for sure. I don’t understand why the dead guy did not do EXACTLY what the officer said though. That officer had me scared for my life just sitting in my recliner watching the video, I would not have fucking blinked unless he told me to do so for fear of getting shot. Why did the guy reach to his back? You would think the guy would have realized how bad things could get if he did not follow orders precisely. I hope to God that officer is no longer on the force. I’ve been in plenty of ass pucker situation and always maintained my cool but that officer fucking lost it.

You might mis-step too when you're staring down the barrel of a weapon being shaken around by some mouth-breathing psychotic shit-swizzler.

I don’t doubt that for one second, as hyped up as things were I’m sure I could have mis-stepped somewhere along the line. Let me be clear, I’m not taking the officers side in this shooting. It was a bad shooting for sure. Watching that video had I not already known the outcome I could have guessed things were going to go to shit just by the way the officer was controlling the situation.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
That officer is a fucking idiot that’s for sure. I don’t understand why the dead guy did not do EXACTLY what the officer said though.

From another article:

quote:
But as he kept crawling towards the officers, his shorts kept slipping off, which is what made Brailsford fear for his life and open fire.

A few graphic photos at the link, including one clearly showing his shorts had all but fallen off by the time he got shot.
https://photographyisnotacrime...epartment-and-hotel/

And while it looks like Brailsford did the shooting, this article says it was Sergeant Charles Langley barking the commands.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Make a mistake and I will shoot you” says one of the cops.

“You’re Fucked” printed on the cops AR dust cover.

They were true to their word. Kid was scared out of his mind and bound to not do exactly as they screamed at him.

That’s beyond fucked up. Cop should be in jail.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why did the guy reach to his back? You would think the guy would have realized how bad things could get if he did not follow orders precisely.

I've seen it suggested he was pulling his shorts up because they had been pushed down due to the ground crawling. Pretty natural reflex, I'd say.

Did I spy a WML on the cop's AR? Doesn't look like he used it. I've been taught by several instructors that WMLs are good not just for basic identification of whether or not someone is there in the dark but also to help see a person's hands/waistband under less than ideal lighting. No idea if using it would have made a difference in this case.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:
That officer is a fucking idiot that’s for sure. I don’t understand why the dead guy did not do EXACTLY what the officer said though. That officer had me scared for my life just sitting in my recliner watching the video, I would not have fucking blinked unless he told me to do so for fear of getting shot. Why did the guy reach to his back? You would think the guy would have realized how bad things could get if he did not follow orders precisely. I hope to God that officer is no longer on the force. I’ve been in plenty of ass pucker situation and always maintained my cool but that officer fucking lost it.

You might mis-step too when you're staring down the barrel of a weapon being shaken around by some mouth-breathing psychotic shit-swizzler.

This. I would have been more nervous that the cop was a psychotic ass-hat vs. the fact that he was intimidating.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He walked becuse the judge didn’t let that body cam video be shown at his trial. Prejudicial and such. Well WTF is the point of having body cam videos on cops if not to independently document what really happened ? Don’t worry the video will be shown at the civil lawsuit. Hope The city of Mesa residents are ready to bend over to settle this one. Won’t be cheap.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
To me it seemed like a poorly trained beat cop trying to play uber SWAT officer.

It might be a legal shoot, but it wasn't a good shoot.

No way I'd want that cop in my community in any other capacity that a janitor at the local jail, cleaning shitters for a living.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That is some scary shit right there. I didn't see anything threatening from the guy before he was shot. About 30 seconds prior when he reached behind his back I could understand a officer saying he thought he was going for a gun
What prompted the cop to shoot him? Did the guy stumble or something?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why ANYONE would be dumb enough to put those stupid 'you're fucked', 'one shot one kill', 'try something' etc etc type dust covers.

You are seriously asking for trouble...unless you're a police officer I guess...

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Any word from BLM? Have Al and Jessie sacrificed a CVS yet? Oh wait.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10916 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I don't understand why ANYONE would be dumb enough to put those stupid 'you're fucked', 'one shot one kill', 'try something' etc etc type dust covers.

You are seriously asking for trouble...unless you're a police officer I guess...

Stupid childish stuff. Shows the level of maturity of those who buy it. I saw a lower that had a skull cast on the front.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10916 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.5d80b5bf6cc8

The video was shown in court during the trial, but it was released to the public after jurors acquitted Shaver on Thursday.

Shaver, 26, had been doing rum shots with a woman he had met earlier that day and showing off a pellet gun he used in his job in pest control.

Brailsford testified in court that he believed Shaver was reaching for a gun.

“If this situation happened exactly as it did that time, I would have done the same thing,” Brailsford said during the trial. “I believed 100 percent that he was reaching for a gun.”

No gun was found on Shaver’s body. Two pellet rifles used in Shaver’s pest-control job were later found in the hotel room.

After two days of deliberation, jurors found Brailsford not guilty of second-degree murder as well as of a lesser charge of reckless manslaughter.

Correction: An earlier version of this story misidentified the officer who was shouting commands to Shaver. It was Sgt. Charles Langley.

another article said:

Brailsford was fired shortly after the shooting for violating department policy in an unrelated incident.

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine the fall-out had this victim been something other than caucasian.

The victim was very compliant, and clearly terrified of the officer(s). There are a lot of ways that could have been handled much better, and every one of them would have had a vastly superior outcome.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
The officer that was shouting the instructions probably thought he was assertively controlling the situation. The truth is that he unnecessarily brought the anxiety level up sky high - for the cop with the rifle and the alleged perp.

As a lawyer, I can see the reason for the acquittal. They were dealing with a perp who was possibly armed, and he reached behind his back a couple of times. Even if we see a guy scared out of his wits who is as dangerous as a hungry puppy, we can't expect the cops to act as if there is no danger. The problem with this shoot is not so much the shoot itself, but the cops' turning the tension dial to 11, making the shooting all but inevitable. I think this one will be used in future police training as an example of how not to handle an already tense situation.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I am not a LEO, so I ask a genuine question; when he (the suspect) is on the ground, face down, hands interlocked and ankles crossed, and the female suspect is already restrained, why did the cops ask him to move? It seems to me that it would be easier and safer for all involved if the cops made the movements at that point.

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
My take is he was worried about somebody else being in the room that they came out of. There was still a gun in play somewhere and he wasn't going to take his word that their wasn't anybody else in the room. Wanted to get them away from the door of their hotel room.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Very sad situation, a murderer was set free.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A psychotic officer got away with murder.

Crucial evidence was suppressed.

The system failed, entirely.

And it is inexcusable.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So I have not watched and don't plan to. I can take the overwhelming sentiment here as good enough.

So the question is what was the basis for the decision not to convict. Seem's crazy based on what is on the video according to you guys. So what else is there?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
The guy did "reach". I have to agree with the acquittal. It was the correct decision, but everything that lead up to the shooting was so fucked up. The officers involved should never have handled the situation like they did. Just bad, bad, bad.

Now, the reason I say the acquittal was the right decision is to protect all the good law enforcement out there that may be put in a similar situation in the future and have to react to a real threat.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post