SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where can I buy good football cleats for son (college ball)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where can I buy good football cleats for son (college ball) Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
My son will be a freshman this year at College of the Siskiyous in Weed, CA this year.

I want to buy him a great set of cleats, but want to stay away from Dick's or Big 5.

Other than Amazon (which might be an option) where can I buy him a set of cleats?

Thank you for any help as the Sigforum mind never ceases to amaze me at the knowledge base here.

Dave

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is he not able to get them through the football program? A lot of times, they have agreements with apparel companies. Of course, smaller schools may not do that.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I just did a google search for high end football cleats and there are all sorts of cleats. They even break it down by best cleat by position.

I was also going to say the school would probably supply cleats too. You have to make the team first Smile

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Check out eastbay.com

I ordered a few pair of cleats & basketball and running shoes when my older kids were in grade school & high school.
They usually had a good selection of larger sized shoes and cleats (women's sz. 11 & men's size 13 & 14).

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Yes. I would most definitely check with the team before you do that

Our cleats were supplied by the team and varied based on position, playing surface and weather. at the least he will likely have turf shoes and a pair of cleats with removable spikes so they can be changed based on the field condition. He might even have practice versus game pairs

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Thank you all... I have left a voicemail with the coach so that if I can purchase my son's cleats I get the right ones, and if they are supplied by the team I will figure something else out for his birthday.

He signed to play football with this college before he graduated high school this June.

I understand he probably will have to make it through tryouts.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had ok success with these guys.

https://www.academy.com/

watch'em like a hawk though,
it took three phone calls and four e-mails for them to get my order right,
( two pair of shoes)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Definitely, check with the team. There is a difference between the grass and artificial turf cleats.

I would also be hesitant to buy ones he can't try on and return. Different brands will size differently. Some people may find brand X fit perfectly while others will hate the fit.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
College of the Siskiyous in Weed, CA. I could not resist noting the location and name of the city. I can just imagine the T shirts they market.

Hope he makes the team.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Check with the coach and/or equipment manager. There are different cleats for different turfs and different weather conditions.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

The coach returned my call and said that he doesn't have a preference on the cleats, but that he would be posting to the facebook group about equipment in a few days.

So my son should see notifications and be able to guide me on what to purchase for him since I know squat about football cleats.

I know about bicycle shoes Smile

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
What position does your son play ?

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Gift card to Nike for $200? (Or to whoever.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article in link below may help you both with your selection.

Football Cleats Reviews
A football player wears football cleats for several reasons. The main reason is to have ultimate traction. The football cleat allows the player to have traction and grip in any situation on the field. The cleats dig into the turf or ground and provide the perfect grip, which gives a player a secure movement for running, sprinting or jumping. The football cleat also provides comfort and stability to the wearer. The boot provides stability to the ankles. A football cleat is an important and essential part of a football player’s uniform. A well-made cleat can keep the player safe and secure while on the field. The football cleat has improved over the years. The football cleats are lightweight and stylish too. The cleats are form fitting and add speed and acceleration along with providing safety. The performance can drastically improve with the correct football cleat. Selecting the right football cleat is important and vital for the player.

https://www.bestconsumerreview...tball-cleat-reviews/

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try mercari or poshmark app.

Posts: 791 | Location: PA | Registered: June 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
If you have Hibbett sports out there you might try their retail stores or their online presence.

dv

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He may need two sets, one for grass and one for turf, find out if he will be playing on both surfaces. The type of cleat will vary greatly based on the field.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Another option would be to try on shoes at the two fudd stores you don't want to give money to and then order the right size and style online. Many online shoe vendors have free shipping both ways if you need to return.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
College of the Siskiyous in Weed, CA. I could not resist noting the location and name of the city. I can just imagine the T shirts they market.

Pictures of Mary Louise Parker aren't loading.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe direct from Nike

https://store.nike.com/us/en_u...football/7puZbgcZot9

Check local Nike stores as well.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post