SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dave Chappelle- Sticks and Stones
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dave Chappelle- Sticks and Stones Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I haven't laughed that hard in a while!!!

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Touche' Mr Chappelle

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I just finished it. Laughed a couple of times. Was offended by nothing. Not every joke was a winner, but overall very entertaining. Would recommend.

Same here. I didn't think it was that humorous, but Chapelle has always been a winner in my book. I like the guy. He see's the reality and speaks to it. His old stuff would split my guts.

Was certainly worth the watch. I'd seen it on Netflix and thought, naw, it will be politically correct and will annoy me. Hey, he's just an honest guy. And he prods laughs at some serious stuff.

That's why we like comedians.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Vice says we shouldn't watch it, so we should probably watch it.

TL;DR: Dave Chappelle isn't on the left's plantation, and what he says is counterrevolutionary. He doesn't make fun of the right things, or people, he plants ideas in people's heads that are dangerous to leftist ideology. Basically, he's a standup comic being a standup comic, not a political commissar pretending to be a standup comic in an effort to convert the proletariat.

You Can Definitely Skip Dave Chappelle's New Netflix Special 'Sticks & Stones'

The comedian doubles down on misogyny and transphobia in both the special and the hidden bonus scene that follows.
By Taylor Hosking
Aug 26 2019, 2:32pm

Dave Chappelle made a return to Netflix Monday with a new stand-up special, Sticks & Stones. Fans quickly realized that, if you watch until the very end, the special has a secret epilogue called "The Punchline," where Chappelle answers questions from audience members who went to his separate Dave Chappelle on Broadway stand-up show last July. The special takes the comic's anti-wokeness schtick to a new level, and the whole thing is repetitive and exhausting enough that it's a slog to even make it to the Q&A.

Chapelle's controversial 2017 Netflix specials, like The Age of Spin: Dave Chappelle Live at the Hollywood Palladium and Equanimity and the Bird Revelation, honed his voice as a comedian wary of progressive criticism. That voice is even sharper in his latest special. At one point in his routine, he says he doesn't believe Michael Jackson molested young children. He continues by saying that if Jackson did, the children should've felt lucky their first time was with the King of Pop, adding, "Do you know how good it must've felt to go to school the next day after that shit?" Chappelle also returned to his now-infamous obsession with making fun of trans people, saying, "[trans people] hate my fucking guts and I don't blame them. [...] I can't stop writing jokes about these niggas." This time, those jokes included asking the audience how funny it would be if he was actually a Chinese person stuck inside a Black man's body, which (you guessed it) also included a racist impression of a Chinese person. He also found time to defend fellow controversial comedians Kevin Hart and Louis C.K., painting them as victims of an overzealous callout culture.

By the time the Q&A plays at the end of the special, Chappelle has already shown his unapologetic approach to courting controversy. His answers put that into even starker view. He says that a white woman left one of his practice sets for the special at The Punchline comedy club in San Francisco, telling him, "I'm sorry, I was raped." Chappelle says he replied with "It's not your fault you were raped. But it's not my fault either. Ta-ta, bitch," to which the audience laughs raucously, as though that were a real punchline. He then followed with a story about sparking an unlikely friendship with a trans woman who he says "was laughing the hardest" out of anyone at the trans jokes in his practice set. The strange story of camaraderie seemed to highlight the common accusation that Chappelle is only interested in repairing his relationship with marginalized groups if he doesn't have to change anything about himself.

Chappelle has always been a daredevil comedian willing to take a controversial stance or downplay a serious controversy for laughs, including his early-2000s skits about R. Kelly's court trials on Chappelle's Show. But now he chooses to blatantly ignore the historic criticism against his style of comedy and new loud-and-clear criticism from the trans community. His approach comes off like a defiant rejection of change at any cost. As he keeps going down this path, drawing attention to the worst aspects of his important career, the biggest cost will be tarnishing his own legacy.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I got Netflix (I hear it's very exclusive) specifically to watch this, it was worth it.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Absolutely worth watching and full of laughs if you can see what he's saying - you have to 'read between the lines' to see the knife he is sinking into the leftists.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:
No matter that, survivors of sexual abuse will not be down with the opening segment...

"The King of pop sucked my dick...." ain't funny.

It won't ever be.
I do believe that you've missed the point by a country mile. Chappelle also said - in essence- that if Jackson is guilty of these crimes, "so what?". Go back and watch that segment again.
Chappelle is not only an intelligent man. He's also a father. Is there any parent in this day and age that has not considered the horror of their child being molested, and this would, of course, include Chappelle?

Chappelle does not think that child molestation is OK. But, there's something else he doesn't believe, which is that no one has the right to put limitations on a comedian telling jokes and it would follow that this would extend to non-comedians expressing their views publicly. This was why he was on that stage. That entire hour was the man defying all the pissing, whining SJWs.

I don't wish to overstate this, but anyone who cares about the First Amendment, anyone who loves this country, and anyone who is completely fed up with one disaffected group in this country trying to control the speech, behavior, and even the thoughts of everyone else in the world, owes this man a huge thanks. I mean this, most sincerely. He is our ally. He is our friend. He is trying to push this nation back on course. God bless him.

You have to get past your disgust for things he says, and look to the intent of his jokes. If you can't, you're not helping yourself.

Para. Politics wont ever matter on this.
Not a debate for me.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Take care.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, Chappelle had a message for people who watch his show and then react this way, and that includes those in the audience and those who "clicked on my face on Netflix."

In this most recent of his shows, Chappelle also talked about people in his audience who take offense and storm out, usually protesting loudly on the way out. It's a buzzkill for all involved.

A sense of humor is vital for one's survival, because the world is a fucked-up place. Always has been, always will be. You can't fix the world. All you can do is fix yourself. You can't change the past, but what you can do is change your attitude towards the past.

It seems to me that we as society have come to realize that far, far more people were abused as children than we knew in years past, because people are so much more willing to talk about these things. Some people talk about them because the stigma is not as great as it used to be. In years past, people just didn't talk about such things, not openly, anyway. And then, there are those who reveal these things (or, in some cases, fabricate them out of whole cloth) because it's cool these days to be a victim. Lots of sociial capital is to be had via victimhood.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, acting rigid and righteous about sexual abuse gains you nothing. It just comes off as posturing.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of sociial capital is to be had via victimhood.

Very accurate statement. I certainly would like to see more stories in the Media of Resilience. Too many stories about victims, very few about survivors. People who come out of a disaster stronger rather than weaker. I often think of the elderly psychiatrist who as a child was interred at Auschwitz. She survived that ordeal and went on to help others throughout her life well into her nineties.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Victims: Step right up and let the Democrat Party fight your battles for you!

Are you a victim? Well, then, put your faith in the Democrat Party! That's right - just step right up and register and VOTE as a Democrat, and we will be your bodyguard and punish anyone who dares hurt your feelings. Because, you know, that's the way to become a well-rounded, mature, self-sufficient ADULT.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and i just saw it last night and we both enjoyed it. The clip above was one of the best parts, not lol funny, but humorous and deep. Then he starts going into the alphabet. Big Grin

I commented to my wife he just doesn’t gaf at all! Love it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a good show. I would not have paid $50 plus to watch in person but perfect for netflix.

I noticed the audience was laughing the most when he talked about Juicy Smolier. I think that speaks volumes.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
he chooses to blatantly ignore the historic criticism against his style of comedy and new loud-and-clear criticism from the trans community. His approach comes off like a defiant rejection of change at any cost. As he keeps going down this path, drawing attention to the worst aspects of his important career, the biggest cost will be tarnishing his own legacy .

These leftists again prove how utterly stupid they are.

His legacy, right now, is that he is perhaps the funniest man on the planet. That he earns $20 million per Netflix show. That his peers are blown away by his talent. And as a black man that practices Islam, he doesn't give a shit about leftists and the PC police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Eky0Yyikc

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, Chappelle had a message for people who watch his show and then react this way, and that includes those in the audience and those who "clicked on my face on Netflix."

In this most recent of his shows, Chappelle also talked about people in his audience who take offense and storm out, usually protesting loudly on the way out. It's a buzzkill for all involved.

A sense of humor is vital for one's survival, because the world is a fucked-up place. Always has been, always will be. You can't fix the world. All you can do is fix yourself. You can't change the past, but what you can do is change your attitude towards the past.

It seems to me that we as society have come to realize that far, far more people were abused as children than we knew in years past, because people are so much more willing to talk about these things. Some people talk about them because the stigma is not as great as it used to be. In years past, people just didn't talk about such things, not openly, anyway. And then, there are those who reveal these things (or, in some cases, fabricate them out of whole cloth) because it's cool these days to be a victim. Lots of sociial capital is to be had via victimhood.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, acting rigid and righteous about sexual abuse gains you nothing. It just comes off as posturing.

Agreed. Just because something is said to lighten the situation does not mean that the situation is taken lightly. It's just comedy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
He does an amazing job of baiting the audience and then setting the hook - gets them to cheer an example before bashing them in the head with the logical counterpoint - does it with Transgendered, Abortion, and drug bits (among others).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Finally got to watch the full thing in one setting. These little bitches today. Pryor said far worse, so did Murphy. Oh the controversy. We’ve got people on the left and the right that want to do away with the 1st amendment.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't been watching comedy lately because 90% of time the punch line is a variant of "Trump is a big fat idiot".
Watched this last night with wife and we both were laughing out loud. It was a breath of fresh air in our politically correct swamp.

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Just watched it. My throat hurts from laughing so hard, especially at the epilogue under the Trailers section.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
If you loved Chappelle's latest special, you should watch Ricky Gervais' latest, "Humanity." Pick it up at 4:50 and you might think that he and Chappelle were having a conversation-- a hilarious, brilliant conversation-- on the same subjects.

Having watched both specials a couple of times, I'm struck by how smart they both are. In both comedy performances, what dazzling intelligence!

Who will lead the counterattack on the leftist Thought Police? Well, as it turns out, it seems to be-- the clowns! And now I see how that makes sense. The perfect response to the outrage of the perpetually offended is-- a big squirt of seltzer water in their faces!

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Just watched it. My throat hurts from laughing so hard, especially at the epilogue under the Trailers section.

I read that Charlie Sheen went to the ER for a ruptured hernia and he claimed it was because he was laughing so hard at a Dave Chappelle bit on TV.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post