SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm wanting to buy a nice watch
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm wanting to buy a nice watch Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking to treat myself to a nice watch/chronograph. I would like an automatic, or even perhaps a mechanical.
I would like an easy to read dial, with numbers all the way around. Also with strong lumes. I have learned that they are referred to as Pilots Watches.
The more I look, the more possibilities pop up. Please help me narrow the field.

Posts: 159 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
What are you looking to spend?

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3k or less. it seems that the same movement can power watches of much different price points.

Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
http://www.citizenwatch.com/en...ldtime|price_600-999

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info here. I bought a Seiko 5 based on experiences of our own members:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/6290029643

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Perfect!, Thank you!

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I see you're new here. Look up our very own Dave Truong, Sigforum's official jeweler.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the recommendation to contact Dave Truong. He will treat you right.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Get a Ball watch.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do i get in touch with Dave? I think he would be a tremendous help to me.

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Zulu:
How do i get in touch with Dave? I think he would be a tremendous help to me.

His contact info is in his profile.

You could also google Mimi's jewelry in Fountain Valley Ca.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3476 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David...the best jeweler and nicest person you will find.

http://www.mimisjewelryinc.com/about-mimis/

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I would put in a plug for Resco. It's a small watch company owned by an active-duty Navy SEAL. His watches are unique and I got lots of comments on mine because not many people are familiar with them. Prices from around $1200-2200.

Maybe something like their RTAC GMT?

Link

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Countycomm.com has a couple of good looking pilot's watches. I have their larger one. Probably one of the better ones for the $$$.

You can spend a lot more, if you want.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Tag Carrera!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34112 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stowa is a good value

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
These two are WAY below $3K, but you have to act fast, because they are on Massdrop:

Orient Mako II I own an Orient Ray, which is this watch with dots instead of numerals. It's a fantastic watch, and more importantly, a fantastic value. It looks better than some $500 watches I've seen, keeps great time, and has gotten more than one compliment from folks that appreciate nice watches.

Seiko 5 "Fifty Fathoms" I just got in on this drop, and I'm excited. It's a beautiful watch that was originally produced as an homage to a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms watch. The Seiko piece gets really great reviews, and for $125 I couldn't pass it up.

Both of them are automatics. The Orient is a 200m diver with a screw-down crown. The Seiko 5 is a 100m watch.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
When I think pilot watch I think Breitling Navitimer. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but sort of iconic. I also like the IWC Big Pilot and the Fortis Flieger Professional Chrono.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I see you're new here. Look up our very own Dave Truong, Sigforum's official jeweler.

Cant go wrong with Dave. I won't go anywhere else.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Cant go wrong with Dave. I won't go anywhere else.

This. I'm in North Carolina and Dave is who I choose to do business with. That ought to say something.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post