SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm wanting to buy a nice watch
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm wanting to buy a nice watch Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Sinn.

http://www.sinnwatches.com/

Best bang for the buck watches I know of.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd spring for a used Rolex submariner or GMT or even Explorer which will retain all of it's value.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'd spring for a used Rolex submariner or GMT or even Explorer which will retain all of it's value.

Not for 3K you won't.

tac

Posts: 11303 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Another option, for a classic pilot's watch, might be a pre-owned IWC. That would be at the upper end of the OP's price range, but it would be exactly what he's after.

https://mobile.iwc.com/pilots-watch-mark-xviii/

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I few years ago I purchased a used Omega for about $1700. It retails for twice that and I swear it looks brand new. No marks whatsoever.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The two brands I would look at for a neat chronograph are Ball Watch and Steinhart.

Ball watch is quickly becoming my favorite watch brand. Once you experience one of their tritium encrusted dials it’s hard to get excited again about lume paint. I have a Ball Fireman Storm Chaser Chronograph that has been a fantastic watch. Ball can be expensive but there are certainly great deals to be had if you look around.

On the more affordable side is Steinhart. They punch waaaay above their price tag in my experience. Steinhart just released two new titanium flieger style chronographs that are interesting. Both have a Valjoux 7750 automatic movement with a display case back and all for just barely over a grand. Steinhart offers a tremendous bang for your buck that is hard to beat when you look at the cost of other titanium cased watches.

Link to new Titanium Steinhart

I’ve been resisting the urge to scoop one up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
When I think pilot watch I think Breitling Navitimer. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but sort of iconic. I also like the IWC Big Pilot and the Fortis Flieger Professional Chrono.

PLEASE find me a Breitling Navitimer for $3K.

My 1970 806 Navitimer will set you back around $4.5K now.

Posts: 11303 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rebel-22:
Stowa is a good value

Great suggestion for a great timepiece at a great price, direct from manufacturer. I have an Antea that has been flawless.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12344 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Tag Carrera!

Yes, this is my "good" watch. Cool

Posts: 22843 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I am a Citizen, Luminox and Gshock dealer. Sig Forum prefential pricing: 40%, 30% and 30% of in stock items.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I would look at preowned Omegas. For the money, I think they are the best.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/home.asp

I got my most recent watch a Fortis from here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JohnCourage,

JC

Posts: 1266 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
+1 for Sinn. I also like the Seiko Spring drive marine master or the 1000m marine master.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
I am a Seiko guy. I have (12). All automatics. Mechanically sound, complements all the time. I have 1 chrono. I like color in my watches. Orange, yellow, blue etc. I am very partial to the Turtles and Monsters. Pickle Rick.

Posts: 2861 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Sinn.

http://www.sinnwatches.com/

Best bang for the buck watches I know of.

I have a Kobold Professional A that was bought in 1994 for $650. It was made by Sinn as were some of the Bell and Ross chronographs of the day. Mine looks identical to the Sinn watches currently on their website which now go for $2000-$2500. Mine has perfomed well for the past 26 years. It has a very technical look, which I like.
I have also been looking at the various classic used Omega Speedmaster watches on sites like www.crownandcaliber.com and www.swisswatchexpo.com both have good reputations and I can vouch for Crown and Caliber, having dealt with them. If you want to save some money, check out the Alpina Startimer on Amazon. It's a $350 quartz chronograph that reminds me of an IWC. I bought the black case version. I've had mine for two days now and am impressed.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
no offense to any of these brands and I'm sure they are all nice timepieces and will give good service l, But take a look at the used prices of any of them first. Then take a look at used Rolex, omega, or Patek prices.

THIS!

For $3k, I think you'd do very well to buy yourself a nice pre-owned Rolex Datejust or similar, or an Omega. You can swing a pre-owned Omega Speedmaster with that money.

This one particular seller. I just filtered it because I know he does a nice trade in this range.

https://www.watchrecon.com/?la...900&user_name=JessyW

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Posts: 11341 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I really felt like I was spending too much when I got my Rolex Explorer II a few mos. ago. But damn, that watch has been appreciating more than I'd ever earn with that money in the bank. I might as well enjoy it while it earns for me.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I really felt like I was spending too much when I got my Rolex Explorer II a few mos. ago. But damn, that watch has been appreciating more than I'd ever earn with that money in the bank. I might as well enjoy it while it earns for me.

My former wife bought me a stainless Rolex Daytona brand new in 1974 for $475. When she left some 20 years later, I decided the watch should go as well. Sold it to a local jeweler for $3500 and bought a pre-owned Rolex GMT II for $1600. The Daytona is now worth about $20,000 and I thought I had made some bad gun deals! Then again, the GMT II is now worth about $11,000 so I can't complain too much.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel Rolex sport watches are unobtanium at dealers now. If you can get a dealer to call you when he gets one in (good luck!) and you only pay retail, no matter what it is, you will never lose money and you will probably make a lot if you ever decide to sell. I like my Rolex, but I like my IWCs more. Thing is, IWCs don't retain value and Rolexes do.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I love Rolex or Omega. Whichever you choose, talk to Dave Truong. I have had many transactions with him and cannot recommend him more highly. An absolute gentleman.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5905 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post