SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best way to tie into existing house wiring?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to tie into existing house wiring? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Black, see code reference above, non of those things pass through walls or replace house wiring. Microwave does pass through a cabinet, but it is the only way to install, and the only thing needed to replace a microwave is a Philips head screwdriver, you do not need to cut into cabinet to replace it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Black, see code reference above, non of those things pass through walls or replace house wiring. Microwave does pass through a cabinet, but it is the only way to install, and the only thing needed to replace a microwave is a Philips head screwdriver, you do not need to cut into cabinet to replace it.

Not sure how I missed that section above.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25355 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Thanks all. The motion light uses 50w max and the opener is the only thing in the garage regularly powered. Pretty sure I have multiple circuits in the garage.

It's a best practice to install a switch for it. If you don't want to fish the wire down the wall, I'd at least put one in the attic. This will allow for you to manually lock the light on, usually off one second, on, off, on and most will stay on until sun up. Helpful if you are having a party so you don't have to go wave your arms in front of it every five minutes. I think we've all played that game before, especially ducks when trying to finish outdoor project. Also if sensor fails you will need to turn off circuit to get light to turn off.

Thanks. I did plan on doing that. I bought a metal switch box with the bracket that can be nailed to the stud. I planned to put it in the attic somewhat near the light. It is one of the Ring camera lights that can be controlled by my phone but I wanted a manual override if absolutely needed it or if it was ever replaced with something different.

One other option is replace garage outlet with a combo device. As long as you are like most people you only have the garage door opener plugged into it. Then you won't have to get into attic to turn on/off and you won't need to install the new box/switch.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post