SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Spam" e-mails with a twist - the senders say I am spamming THEM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Spam" e-mails with a twist - the senders say I am spamming THEM Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
I've gotten 18 of these in the last 24 hours, the subject lines saying, with only slight variation, "Remove me from your mailing list." Of course, I didn't send them. I've never seen this kind before. Is this some kind of hack, and is it a threat or a nuisance?

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Delete.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
It's possible someone spoofed your return email address on their spams, and you are dealing with PO'd spam recipients. It's happened to me. Ignore.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It sounds like somebody is spoofing; using your email address as their "sender" or "reply to" address.

This has happened to me in the past.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30661 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Do you recognize any of the senders?

Are the emails asking you to click on anything? If so, hover over the link, copy the url, and then google it.

A remote possibility is that your email got hacked or someone has your email address and is sending stuff out using your email address.

In the past 2 weeks 2 different people have created accounts and ordered stuff using my email address. Nothing sinister, they both just typed in a wrong character when they created their accounts. I was just a little confused when I got an email that the plus-size dress I ordered had shipped! Eek

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
In the past 2 weeks 2 different people have created accounts and ordered stuff using my email address. Nothing sinister, they both just typed in a wrong character when they created their accounts. I was just a little confused when I got an email that the plus-size dress I ordered had shipped! Eek

So your saying you take a 2x instead?

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lakeray:
So your saying you take a 2x instead?

Big Grin +1

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks, guys. I haven't seen any more of them in the last couple of hours. I sent e-mails to my regular contacts and told them to ignore anything unusual from me.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post