SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    National LEAD (Law Enforcement Appreciation Day) Karma >>> *** Winner = BennerP220 *** <<<
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National LEAD (Law Enforcement Appreciation Day) Karma >>> *** Winner = BennerP220 *** <<< Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’d love a chance too and I’ll share a story.

I’m in local corrections. Our area is full of Hispanic gangs with the NF/norteno being predominant.

Maybe 6-7 years ago I was working a lazy Sunday swing shift on Easter. I was assigned as a Rover in the jail meaning part of my duties were to respond to why incidents that might occur.

An otherwise luck back Easter afternoon was interrupted by a panicked radio transmission for a fight on a particular recreation yard. The specific location meant it was a maximum security unit with at most 4 inmates involved and they were likely Norteno gang members.

Infighting within that gang means a removal from the gang which means weapons. It is close by and I run over. I get there and see 3 dudes in max jumpsuits beating the ever-loving crap out of a 4th, larger inmate. He was bleeding from what seemed like everywhere.

They saw us coming and stopped and laid down on the far end while the victim crawled towards us. Keep in mind, this Rec yard is completely enclosed in glass on our side so we have a great view. However, the control deputy wasn’t very good and there was a big delay getting the door open so the 3 attackers got up and began stabbing again with jail made weapons.

In the end the door opened, tasers were deployed, a bloody gang member was drug out and flown to a not so local hospital to try and save his eye.

It wasn’t saved. Ironically, he is still in the gang and very highly ranked. Apparently it was a misunderstanding of sorts.

Finally, when the detective showed up to do the criminal report she was walking around all the blood and bent over and picked something up. It was his eyebrow. She furrowed her own eyebrows and said “guess he doesn’t need that anymore” and dropped it in the floor drain.

The pictures are really something.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Count me in please. Story to follow while I mull over 30 years worth of prospective tales.

Thanks!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in. Thank you for your generous karma!!! 21 years on “the job”.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q, your generosity is out of this world.

Ill give you a couple from the archive:

One night working the midnight shift, my partner and I got a call of a domestic disturbance that was only a couple of blocks away. As we arrived, we heard arguing and approached the door. Out of habit, cops typically dont walk up the middle of the walkway to the door and when we knock we stand offset. It's not something you think about consciously, you just do it. As I was reaching my fist out to pound on the front door six shots were fired through the front door exploding the glass on the storm door.

The suspect fled out the back door and was apprehended a few minutes later hiding in a bush. The gun was never located.

Another time, we got called to a fire. I worked a rough area and vacant house fires were a bi-weekly occurrence for my unit. Typically, we just stand by and guard the hoses for the firefighters, but this time we arrived (before FD) and realized the house was occupied, but fully engulfed. A female was still inside, but we couldnt get to her because the front room was blocked by fire. Her family said that she was in the back of the house, but the rear doors and windows were boarded shut with plywood. My partner, my sergeant, and I pulled at the plywood, but made little headway. Out of nowhere, a guy from the neighborhood appeared. He was about 6'6" and 300lbs. He started punching the 3/4" plywood and knocked a hole in it. By the Grace of God, the woman was just on the otherside of the door. We pulled her through a small hole as melting vinyl siding was melting and dripping down on us. She was unconscious but came to a few seconds later. Her first words were, "any of you have a cigarette?"

I have a bunch more, but those two came to mind.

Thanks, again, Q!

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Please count me in! Retired for over a year. CA bay area Deputy Sheriff for 23 years. Escaped CA for Tennessee and loving it.

Funny story:

I had a guy run from my courtroom in Oakland. I chased him and yelled for the clerk to hit the magnetic door locks. Dude hit the doors head on running at full speed. Almost knocked himself out. His uncle said, "You always was a dumbshit"

Cheers
Jaycat

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Wow, please count me in. In my 31st year and planning on moving to Al upon retirement.

As a young patrolman, I stopped a man who fit the description of a serial rapist. Weeks later, dna confirmed he was in fact the rapist. More importantly, years later he was found to be the actual killer/rapist of two small children for which someone else had been found guilty of and who spent decades in prison. I will never forget the calm an cool manner in which he presented himself when I stopped him. That monster, Clifton Hall, will always remind me that you never know who you are dealing with.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
Please consider me for your Karma! I spent almost 14 years in LE before being injured on-duty and eventually being forced to medically retire on duty disability. After almost 2.5 years of being retired, I'm becoming more ok with my new role in life and I'm grateful to be able to meet up with my friends that are still walking that road and bring a little perspective sometimes and to just listen and act as a sounding board others. It's not an easy profession... Very generous of you to offer this. Thank you.

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I'm not entering, but will share a few stories that occurred in the mid 80's.

I saw a vehicle stopped on the side of a major road and pulled in behind it. As I approached, I saw a lady in front of the car, bending down, near the head of a deer.

She was trying to pour some water in it's mouth, but it was obviously dead.

I asked, what was she doing? She said she saw it lying there and it looked thirsty, so she was trying to give it a drink. IIRC, she was trying to give it a drink of soda to boot.

I was dispatched to an accident, car vs. deer. The driver, whose car hit the deer, advised the deer ran into the woods.

While collecting the info I needed for the report, the driver asked: "Aren't you going to look for the deer? I think it needs to taken to a veterinarian."

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:
Most of those kids are in college now.......

I feel that.

I was a school resource officer in a junior high for several years in the late 2000s.

Now I'm running into my former junior high students at bars.

Again, back in the early 80's, we had issues with high school kids causing problems. They were the punk rocker types and we usually wound up having to chase them.

Fast forward to the late 90's and working with another department, a new hire said she used to run around the old area I worked. She said she used to have spiked, colored hair.

I jokingly said, I may have chased you before. She said, you may have. We ran from cops all the time.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't qualify, but I did want to stop in and say thank you, Q. While not an LEO, and never have been, I've had and have friends that are, and I've done volunteer work with LE agencies in the past. So I appreciate your doing this.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
awsome karma...but I wish this on someone more worthy........only served 1981-1983 local city pd patrol........ one morning at 9am called to man asleep in car blocking passage in private parking lot...could not keep driver awake... several pill bottles on passenger seat... after running persons ID and plates on the car both wanted by the TEXAS RANGERS in a double murder which closed their case........................... late on evening radio call to go see the lady about a large lizard on back porch but upon arrival found a 8ft alligator that was not happy with all of the attention--- called state game wardens and problem solved........................... was detailed to a childs birthday party at a local pizza parlor...wasn"t all that happy but after arriving found out that the birthday boy was "MAKE A WISH" terminal child... my attitude did a quick turn around... to see the joy when he was able to take a ride in the patrolcar/ use the radio/ use the bar lights... later thanked the shift sgt for the detail..................................................drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please put me in for karma.
I've been an officer for almost 26 years ranging from patrol to narcotics to my current assignment as a motor officer. My father was an officer and my brother as well. My wife is also currently serving on the same department as I.
I've got a lot of funny crap to tell but those are long stories. My most recent "acquaintances" include Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Barry Switzer.
I honestly dont think I would consider entering law enforcement today if I was young. The old days of handling business are long gone, too many lawyers and policies have ruined that.

Posts: 114 | Registered: February 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please include me and thank you for a great karma. I still have a West German duty P228 that I wouldn't let go of, although its not my primary these days.

Posts: 694 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Good luck to all the active or RETIRED LEO members of SF. Thanks for your service.

Thanks Q for honoring our active or RETIRED LEO's.

I'm neither so don't add me/

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Please include me in this generous karma. I was a uniformed local police officer for 3 years and have now been a fed (GS 1811 - Special Agent) for almost 13 years.

Lots of good, bad and funny stories, but I’ll leave a quick synopsis of one of my proudest moments. Quick backstory - the city where I worked in uniform had a 2nd Street and a 2nd Ave at opposite ends of the city and on the day in question I was working the part of the city with 2nd Ave.

I was sitting by a disabled motor vehicle on the corner of 122nd St and 2nd Ave when a call came in for a stabbing inside a bank on 2nd St. This was a Saturday afternoon and the bank was closed. A bunch of units rolled to the bank on 2nd St and since I was literally in front of the same bank, but on 2nd Ave I decided to check that bank as well. I was walking around the bank checking through the windows while units were arriving at the opposite bank. I made it to the front door of the bank (not the vestibule but the actual bank lobby) when the first units at the opposite bank were describing nothing showing at that time. I checked the door, found it unlocked and then heard moaning inside. To make a long story short, my butt puckered up, I called for backup and after I had another officer I made entry to clear the bank. I found a 15 year old girl that had been stabbed in the neck (the knife was still sticking in her neck with the handle broken off) inside the bank in an inner break room. Her father would clean the bank after hours and often bring her with him since all the valuables were secured anyway and the bank didn’t care. Her father was having family court issues and decided to kill his daughter and leave.

We cleared the rest of the bank to make sure it was safe and finished up when the additional units starting arriving. I helped the girl as best as possible until the fire department arrived. She ultimately survived, despite the fact that the blade was resting on her carotid artery and had done significant damage and she had lost a lot of blood. The docs said that if we hadn’t gotten to her when we did and help stabilize the knife in her throat that she almost certainly would have died.

So that’s a story I always looked upon fondly as an instance where I really did make a difference. I dare say that that girl is alive because of my efforts and that gives me a great sense of pride. And to make it an even happier ending we did get the girl’s father arrested within the hour and he ultimately was convicted and is still serving his sentence some 14+ years later.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Last August marked 40 years for me as a city police officer, all with the same department. So many stories, though most are a sad commentary on humanity.

Went to a disturbance call, loud music if I recall correctly. While there we checked out several individuals, one of them had a warrant with a $500 bond. We were standing outside on a little deck when the word came about the warrant. He asked if he would be able to bond out on the warrant and was told that he could do so by posting a $500 cash bond. He yelled at someone in the house and told him to go into his bedroom and get the cash that he had there so he could bond out. He said, "the cash is in an envelope under the red rug in the bedroom." I said to him, you keep your cash under a rug, in a trailer house that you can't lock because the door is broke, have you not heard of banks? He gave me a look of scorn and said, " ya dummy, banks get robbed ya know." I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that other than just shake my head.

If I am worthy, please enter me. As has been said, Q has got to be the most generous person on the internet.

Thank you sir!

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
Please add me. Started in law enforcement September 1990, retired the first time January 2011, retired the second time August 2019.

Early in my career I was riding a beat and came around a corner to see another officer out of his patrol car fighting a hispanic male. Another hispanic male was approaching the officer from behind with a knife in his hand. I hit my siren and the one with the knife took off running. Both bad guys went to jail/got deported, luckily for the other officer that I came around the corner when I did or he would be dead, the one he was fighting had a gun tucked down his waistband. The officer failed to call off on the radio so no one knew his location or what he was doing.

We did a search warrant one day about four blocks from our office. We were a plainclothes unit, five detectives and one sergeant. We took some uniformed guys with us. We all parked out front when we pulled up with the exception of one of our guys who parked in the back alley behind the house. When we left the house we mistakenly left one of our detectives there. The guys out front didn’t see him so they assumed he got into the car in the alley, the guy driving the car in the alley assumed he got into one of the cars out front. He did not have his radio, it was left in one of the cars, this was before cell phones became real popular. He had to walk four blocks back to the office and this was not a great part of town and everyone knew who he was. He was taunted the whole four blocks. Our asses got chewed that day with good reason.

A bunch of foot/car chases and fights but nothing entertaining. Got involved in some good melees and search warrants in the middle of housing projects where we were greatly outnumbered until the back up uniformed guys showed up.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please include me. Just over 28 years on between a small city agency (22) and now a county sheriff's office (6). As you can see from my post count I don't post much or have ever entered a karma, but my first duty weapon was a P228 and I miss it. Can only carry plastic striker fired guns now. It's late right now (0400 hours) and I'm tired and can't think of a good story to tell. I'll try to remember to add one later if I can.

Posts: 334 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
In my 18th year as a cop here in good ol' NJ. I work for for small township agency in the central part of the state. The last 7 years I have spent as an investigative supervisor. Seen so much, good and bad, over the years. Turned a near major crash into a minor one with good reaction when a tree fell on my cruiser during hurricane Sandy, kicked in doors during the execution of no-knock search warrants during my 5 yers with the county Tac Team, found missing kids, cried with people after telling them their loved was dead, made great friendships and learned the dark reality of mankind. Been some ride really. A salute to all that righteously wear the badge. Thank you for the karma opportunity; your continued generosity is inspiring.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chance228,

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I’d like a chance for this karma and thank you for your generosity. I’m almost to 13 years with a city agency. Like others I’ve seen how awful mankind can be but I’ve also had a great time and a lot of laughs with the great people I’ve worked with. I also like to think I’ve helped people and made a difference along the way.

One funny story that still makes me laugh is a call at a not so nice hotel. A friend and I were clearing a call there when a guy flagged us down in parking lot saying some guy was in his room eating his food. We found a drunk guy sitting at the edge of the bed eating a bag of Cheetos with his eyes glued to the tv. He thought he was in his room but clearly wasn’t. We ran his license and the dispatcher said “he’s clear,” meaning he didn’t have warrants. The guy jumped up ready to fight and yelled “I ain’t queer!!” In his best redneck voice. It took us a minute to calm him down from that one.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post