SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Happy San Jacinto Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy San Jacinto Day Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted

To all fellow Texans, and those who wish they were.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Remember the Alamo!

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long live Texas! I’ll be celebrating later this evening at Aggie Muster!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Remember the Alamo!

Remember Goliad!

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my state of Texas, but I love (to laugh at) even more the Alamo Security companies I see around. Do they not realize that while we see the Alamo as inspiration...we LOST the battle at the Alamo?

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
San Jacinto Day is a great day in Texas history as our boys:
  • were outnumbered (910 vs 1360) but not nearly as badly outnumbered as the Alamo
  • delivered an ass whoopin' in a mere 18 minutes. The Texans suffered 9 fatalities and 30 injured but the Mexicans suffered 630 fatalities and 730 taken prisoner including Santa Ana.
  • showed mercy even to that swine Santa Ana who was the same "man" who had ordered the killing of prisoners in previous conflicts (e.g. Goliad).

"Remember the Alamo!"

"Remember Goliad!"

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    showed mercy even to that swine Santa Ana who was the same "man" who had ordered the killing of prisoners in previous conflicts (e.g. Goliad).

“Texas, to be respected, must be polite. Santa Anna, living, can be of incalculable benefit to Texas; Santa Anna, dead, would just be another dead Mexican.” Sam Houston

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by hambony:
    I love my state of Texas, but I love (to laugh at) even more the Alamo Security companies I see around. Do they not realize that while we see the Alamo as inspiration...we LOST the battle at the Alamo?

I feel the same way about schools whose mascot is the Trojans. They were known for being duped and losing the war. Why would you pick that as your mascot?

Posts: 333 | Registered: January 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Freethinker
    Picture of sigfreund
    posted Hide Post
    Then there is someone’s SUV called the Armada. The most famous armada was soundly destroyed by the English.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
    — Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    Remember the Alamo.

Remember Goliad.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    I wasn't around for the events; I wasn't reared in Texas and don't know the history very well; BUT--I love my adopted state and revere its culture.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    This is the day my family has always celebrated. I have a piece of limestone from the San Jacinto monument on my office wall.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Stangosaurus Rex
    Picture of Tommydogg
    posted Hide Post
    CG56! One of my favorite class of ship!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tejas421:
    This is the day my family has always celebrated. I have a piece of limestone from the San Jacinto monument on my office wall.

Good grief, man! Put it back. They’ve been looking for it for several decades.

Gracie Allen is my
    personal savior!
    posted Hide Post
    Remember Medina, where Arredondo taught Santa Anna to be Santa Anna!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Who Woulda
    Ever Thought?
    posted Hide Post
    Long Live Texas!

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommydogg:
    CG56! One of my favorite class of ship!

I went to the commissioning ceremony. Vice President Bush gave the address. I have never seen more Captains and Admirals in one place.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    God bless Texas!

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 242 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post