SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP Dan Gurney
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Dan Gurney Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...acing-legend-995818/

One of the greats is gone.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know why, but I've thought about him several times in the last few weeks. I never met him or had the opportunity to watch him race in person, but I followed his career nearly from the beginning, and it's sad to hear of his passing.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP

I used to love watching him drive the Pro/Celeb race at the Toyota Gran Prix of Long Beach in the 80's. He would reel in the entire field. Very entertaining.

Posts: 57 | Registered: November 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Damn. Well, he lived to 86. So many comtemporaries of his were killed during the bloodsport years of auto racing, especially, of course, open-wheeled racing. He and Phil Hill are two Americans that were successful in GP and other forms of international racing. God Bless him.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I met him in 1971 at the Pocono Race Track Schaefer 500 while working for GE Mobile Radio. I was installing a UHF radio in Bobby Unser's race car and Dan Gurney was his Crew Chief.

His wife had a baby that week and he was one happy guy passing out cigars. He was very soft spoken and really a nice all around guy.

RIP sir

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Damn. Well, he lived to 86. So many comtemporaries of his were killed during the bloodsport years of auto racing, especially, of course, open-wheeled racing. He and Phil Hill are two Americans that were successful in GP and other forms of international racing. God Bless him.

He and Phil Hill and Mario Andretti.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’m stunned really. Gurney was one of the best of all time. Formula 1 champ Jim Clark said the only driver he feared was Dan Gurney.

I just watched a documentary about the Ford GT-40 yesterday and noticed he was aging. Frown. Rest In Peace, Dan.

http://autoweek.com/article/ra...ey-was-epitome-class

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
RIP, the Dan Gurney Special Merury Cougar is a vehicle to behold!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Here’s a good series of videos with Robin Miller interviewing Dan Gurney.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v4eKqmYO9lQ

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Wow, rest in peace, one of the greatest names in motor sports

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
He was racing royalty, too many good things to say about the man.

RIP Mr. Gurney

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Another legend gone,
RIP Mr Gurney.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A great one, RIP.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
RIP, All American Racer!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My dad and I used to go to the Ontario Motor Speedway back in the day. I remember watching Dan race. I remember Al Unser and the rest of them too. Simpler times. Transitional times. The Speedway is gone now. Seems fitting that so are the racers.

Rest in peace, Dan.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was one of my hero's growing up.

RIP Mr Gurney.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sad news

I enjoyed watching him race

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I found some videos on Amazon or YouTube recently about Le Mans--well I think it was about the history of Ford IIRC. Dan Gurney's GT40 had to have a hump in the roof for his helmet because he was so tall; and he started the ritual of spraying the crowd with champagne instead of drinking it.

An American auto racing legend. RIP.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, the Gurney Bump. He also came up with the Gurney Flap for more downforce. Quite a guy.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was one of my favorites....RIP

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post