SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    OK, while we're doing the SIGForum Consumer Reports thing...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK, while we're doing the SIGForum Consumer Reports thing... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
What do we like for pellet stoves?

SWMBO has decided that we're done with burning wood and the associated labor and mess. Not sure I agree 100% but we all know how that works.

Brand? Model? Price point?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Would you consider gas? Still works when the power's out, and no pellets to buy. In that case: Jotul, the model depending on size you need.

For example Jotul 400 Sebago

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to specifics but I will say we had one growing up and I swear you could crank that thing up and our entire basement was like a forge. I think dad may have been crafting magical weapons with dwarven steel down there.

It was most certainly warmer then the previous wood burning stove.

I do remember having to store lots of bags of pellets.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
When propane prices were outrageous a few years back I wanted a pellet stove. Since I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted, I picked up a Harman (well respected brand) from a house flipper who was remodeling a foreclosure.

I ran it the entire season, and that little thing kept our 2,000 ft. main floor comfortable.

May want to check out this forum. It's where I ended up doing most of my research:

https://www.hearth.com/

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
I have a Harmon and have used it for 5 or 6 seasons. Usually burn 4 or 5 tons. Had to change the circuit board once. No other problems.

phil

Posts: 2384 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Have a traeger that has treated us well for a few years. There are certainly nicer and more expensive brands. I'd get one again if I had the chance. We got ours at Costco.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Brother has a small one dedicated to 1 large room. Dont know the brand. He uses rice coal for main heat through the New York winter. It is 1/3 the cost of fuel oil. Stove is a Keystoker from Pennsylvania.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post