SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drone video: Orcas "play" with human swimer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drone video: Orcas "play" with human swimer Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think that with all of the "mess" that I would have left in my wetsuit ....that they would assume that I wouldn't taste good anyway ! Smile mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What caught my eye is that they seem to get really close to the shore. Almost looks like mama beached for a second. Didn't know that they go that close.

I'm guessing it's not the first encounter for that swimmer.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no record of an orca attacking a human in the wild.

I'm sure they would never do it on porpoise. Razz However, just a bump from a creature weighing as much as 6 tons could injure or kill.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Crazy and awesome video...I would’ve left skid marks in that wet suit! Yesterday, I read the story that accompanies the video. I believe that she said she did panic at first, and swam to shore. Then she decided to get back in, as she knew that would probably never happen to her again...brave woman!

Posts: 740 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun Supply:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I've seen plenty of predatory animals "play" with their food right before they eat it.

I have this "Back Yard" theory that I've been working on for years. It's kept my narrow ass alive thus far.

If I see that Killer Whale, Shark, Bear, Lion... in MY back yard, his ass is mine. He's got no reason to be messing around back there.
Now, the inverse is true as well.
If that Killer Whale, Shark, Bear, Lion catches me in ITS back yard, well, my ass his HIS!
I try not to mess around in others back yard.

I also have a personal policy. I try to never enter an environment where I am not at the top of the food chain. It has worked well, so far.

Like one guy said after seeing Jaws for the first time; everything that is in the ocean has lived and evolved there for millions of years.....I am just visiting.

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by cokehockey:
I'll pass, they're not likely to eat (or bite) a human but you never know...You don't want to be that guy.

There is no record of an orca attacking a human in the wild. They are just huge dolphins.

Because they never live to tell about it Wink

I don't trust those sketchy dolphins either...you never know when a pod has been passing around a puffer fish Big Grin

Dolphins are just gay sharks.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1955 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
They were going to enjoy his liver as soon as the other Orca showed up with the fava beans and Chianti.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
This is one of those situations that I’d most likely never put myself in, but had I found myself there by accident and lived to tell about it, would probably go down as one of the most magnificent and spiritual experiences of my life.

I would much rather find myself in the water with a large mammal than any shark. I can say she’s not worried about sharks at the moment.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks staged.

Nonetheless - still pretty cool.

I have seen KW's in 2-3 feet of water - where 60-70% of their body was completely out of the water. They dragged a sea lion right off the beach ! Amazing sight - the whales had no trouble "unbeaching" themselves and getting back into deep waters. Incredible creatures.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna give that a good firm Nope. With a side of fuck that

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I remember decades ago reading a true story in Reader's Digest about a man in a small row boat who fell overboard in icy waters and an orca pushed him to shore.

I also viewed a TV documentary w/ a scientist who studied them. He would walk into the surf like a penguin or seal and these killer whales would swim up/charge right to his feet and put on the brakes.
I think this also showed adult orcas teaching their young how to unbeach themselves after a kill on the beach.

Killer Whales up on the beach.
https://youtu.be/00-Ivz--SHE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dsiets,

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post