SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drone video: Orcas "play" with human swimer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drone video: Orcas "play" with human swimer Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Uh, no...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The drone operator should have dropped way down for better footage without disturbing anyone. This footage shows exactly why people over react to a drone overhead. If the guy was naked you couldn’t see anything.

Anyhow I would have crapped my pants if those would have swam up on me. The guy clearly trusts them because he could have headed to shore at any point.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
I'll pass, they're not likely to eat (or bite) a human but you never know...You don't want to be that guy.

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Incredible video! That would be terrifying to have them swimming right up to you like that.
I've seen videos of orca whales tossing seals threw the air with a simple slap of their tail. Immense power.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have soiled my wetsuit. Like....grab the garden hose soil my wetsuit.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch blackfish and tell me they aren't likely to bite. I'd not be thrilled.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Guess she wasn’t hungry

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Watch blackfish and tell me they aren't likely to bite. I'd not be thrilled.

Captive vs free. I still wouldn’t take any chances though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen plenty of predatory animals "play" with their food right before they eat it.

I have this "Back Yard" theory that I've been working on for years. It's kept my narrow ass alive thus far.

If I see that Killer Whale, Shark, Bear, Lion... in MY back yard, his ass is mine. He's got no reason to be messing around back there.
Now, the inverse is true as well.
If that Killer Whale, Shark, Bear, Lion catches me in ITS back yard, well, my ass his HIS!
I try not to mess around in others back yard.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cokehockey:
I'll pass, they're not likely to eat (or bite) a human but you never know...You don't want to be that guy.

There is no record of an orca attacking a human in the wild. They are just huge dolphins.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chuck ,
The swimmer was a woman and has a ton of courage to not panic .
Best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Oh hell

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by cokehockey:

There is no record of an orca attacking a human in the wild. They are just huge dolphins.

Because they never live to tell about it Wink

I don't trust those sketchy dolphins either...you never know when a pod has been passing around a puffer fish Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Video would be better with sound muted. Or imagine Jaws music playing.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Those orca were not "playing.'

If you notice the swimmer was wearing a black wetsuit and looked like a sea lion in the water.

I think Mama orca was doing her job and teaching baby orca 1 and baby orca 2 how to hunt.

One day we're going to have drone footage of a swimmer having a really bad day.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this has not happened before and that the swimmer and the Orca might be acquainted. That would explain the “timely” appearance of the drone.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Beautiful footage but I'd have had a panic attack and drowned if those big ass killer whales has swam up to me like that.
Ocean creatures scare the ba-jeezus outta me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ryanp225,

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would just about give anything to be in that position the swimmer was.

I understand it's a risk but still.....

Beautiful video. Thanks for sharing.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I've seen plenty of predatory animals "play" with their food right before they eat it.

I have this "Back Yard" theory that I've been working on for years. It's kept my narrow ass alive thus far.

If I see that Killer Whale, Shark, Bear, Lion... in MY back yard, his ass is mine. He's got no reason to be messing around back there.
Now, the inverse is true as well.
If that Killer Whale, Shark, Bear, Lion catches me in ITS back yard, well, my ass his HIS!
I try not to mess around in others back yard.

I also have a personal policy. I try to never enter an environment where I am not at the top of the food chain. It has worked well, so far.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post