SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WiFi Booster Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WiFi Booster Recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
The Ubiquiti requires a controller to run somewhere, though, either on a home computer or in the cloud. 
I believe you only need to run the controller software on a PC on the network to setup or make changes to the WAP, after which it can run on its own.

Until you do need to make a change, view stats/info on the AP, or the AP loses itself and you need to reconnect. The controller can be a bitch. I've run it standalone on one Mac, and also as a service on a Mac, so I could access it from other machines (running it as a service is also how you can install it in the cloud somewhere). If it, for any reason, forgets the AP, your best bet is to start over from scratch. It is not a common occurrance. In the two years I used the Ubiquiti AP, controller problems cropped up twice. As good as their equipment is, the controller is an unnecessary burden for home use with one or two AP's.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
When installed as a wired access point, can you assign it with the same network name and password as your primary wireless router, making it one seamless WiFi covered area?

Basically ~ YES.
You need to program non-overlapping channels > 2.4ghz = 1,6,11 5.0ghz it is not generally an issue with much more channels available.
Keep in mind ~ the CLIENT decides when to jump ship to the next AP.
Some clients may actually hold on to a distant AP ~ this called a "sticky client" and can be difficult to overcome;
There can be controls on later model/decent APS to control "roaming" and "band steering".
In order for most of these controls to work properly or at all then need to be the same AP throughout or at least from the same mfg.
If you have the wifi on your Comcast router enabled and add a Netgear or whoever AP those controls may not function properly.
YMMV

Ok, so it's not as easy as I had hoped.

Yes I am using the included WiFi cable modem for my Time Warner internet service. I don't remember what specific model it is but I think it's probably this Ubee DDW365: https://www.amazon.com/Ubee-DD...ateway/dp/B00NNWRCKI
It's located in the SW corner of my house since that is where my cable line comes in, and it covers probably about 60-70% of the house.

I ran a 100 foot CAT 6 line through the attic to the NE corner of my house, it's probably about 60 feet away from the Ubee modem. When the Netgear was working it gave me coverage in that corner of the house, as well as the deck and the garage, which are my primary goals.

It sounds like my options are:

Try and find a better access point that will work with my existing WiFi router to create one seamless network, which may be a challenge.

Get a new beefy WiFi router to try and cover everything with one signal and thus avoid the overlapping channels issues. Product suggestions for this route?

Disable the WiFi on the existing router, install a pair of Ubiquiti devices to work together as access points to form one large network. Does the Ubiquiti client require that a computer be running all the time for the WiFi to work?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm obviously not a networking expert by any means.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:
quote:
When installed as a wired access point, can you assign it with the same network name and password as your primary wireless router, making it one seamless WiFi covered area?

Basically ~ YES.
You need to program non-overlapping channels > 2.4ghz = 1,6,11 5.0ghz it is not generally an issue with much more channels available.
Keep in mind ~ the CLIENT decides when to jump ship to the next AP.
Some clients may actually hold on to a distant AP ~ this called a "sticky client" and can be difficult to overcome;
There can be controls on later model/decent APS to control "roaming" and "band steering".
In order for most of these controls to work properly or at all then need to be the same AP throughout or at least from the same mfg.
If you have the wifi on your Comcast router enabled and add a Netgear or whoever AP those controls may not function properly.
YMMV

Ok, so it's not as easy as I had hoped.

Yes I am using the included WiFi cable modem for my Time Warner internet service. I don't remember what specific model it is but I think it's probably this Ubee DDW365: https://www.amazon.com/Ubee-DD...ateway/dp/B00NNWRCKI
It's located in the SW corner of my house since that is where my cable line comes in, and it covers probably about 60-70% of the house.

I ran a 100 foot CAT 6 line through the attic to the NE corner of my house, it's probably about 60 feet away from the Ubee modem. When the Netgear was working it gave me coverage in that corner of the house, as well as the deck and the garage, which are my primary goals.

It sounds like my options are:

Try and find a better access point that will work with my existing WiFi router to create one seamless network, which may be a challenge.

Get a new beefy WiFi router to try and cover everything with one signal and thus avoid the overlapping channels issues. Product suggestions for this route?

Disable the WiFi on the existing router, install a pair of Ubiquiti devices to work together as access points to form one large network. Does the Ubiquiti client require that a computer be running all the time for the WiFi to work?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm obviously not a networking expert by any means.

Try to imagine a wifi signal is similar to a speaker output.
Closer sounds better and sounds worse through walls or farther away.
Physical placement is VERY important ~ however there can be limitations you may have here obviously.
A "beefier" unit is never the answer.
Roaming does not always work perfectly but can be optimized under the right conditions.

PS as mentioned before Ubiqiti units are better left for the more experienced.
They don't work any better/worse than another quality brand.
Why we use them in the corporate world to configure a homogenous multi-AP environment.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Yes I understand that part regarding signal strength. I am looking for a decent consumer grade solution since I have some physical limitations in my house that probably can't be covered by a single WiFi router.

How is this for a plan? Purchase this TP-Link AC1750 bundle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This gets me a Time Warner compatible cable modem with an AC1750 WiFi router to cover the main portion of the house. This will pay for itself within a year by removing the TWC rental all-in-one unit.

I add this TP-Link Access Point to the NE side of the house using the hard wired CAT6 that is already in place:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0XZ1TU?th=1

Will this setup enable me to have a single homogenous network with improved coverage area?

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Yes I understand that part regarding signal strength. I am looking for a decent consumer grade solution since I have some physical limitations in my house that probably can't be covered by a single WiFi router.

How is this for a plan? Purchase this TP-Link AC1750 bundle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This gets me a Time Warner compatible cable modem with an AC1750 WiFi router to cover the main portion of the house. This will pay for itself within a year by removing the TWC rental all-in-one unit.

I add this TP-Link Access Point to the NE side of the house using the hard wired CAT6 that is already in place:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0XZ1TU?th=1

Will this setup enable me to have a single homogenous network with improved coverage area?

I would consider two of the latter (devices) and disable the wifi from TW.
For optimization you still have to configure it properly and advise using some WIFI Stumbler software for analytics.
Some software is free and some is not.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
For optimization you still have to configure it properly and advise using some WIFI Stumbler software for analytics.

If you happen to be on a Mac, the Mac App Store app called "Wifi Scanner" does everything you need to sort our your channels. It shows every AP within reception range, the channel(s) they are using, their signal strength, security, BSSID, etc.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

If you happen to be on a Mac, the Mac App Store app called "Wifi Scanner" does everything you need to sort our your channels. It shows every AP within reception range, the channel(s) they are using, their signal strength, security, BSSID, etc.

I wouldn't say "everything you need" but it can certainly help.