SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WiFi Booster Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WiFi Booster Recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted
Looking for one to boost a signal to the basement. Anyone use one that's pretty good? Not too pricey, although I'll end up paying what I have to I guess. Thanks!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Can you get a run of CAT5 or CAT6 wire there? If so, this is a terrific solution that's easy on the pocketbook. Its not a booster, but rather, a wired access point.

Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite

I installed one of these in the middle of my great room, and it provides a five bar WiFi signal throughout the entire house (single story, 2700sqft).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
It's a rental house in VA that we have until my wife moves down here. So I don't really know what the set-up is up there. Trying to do this kind of stuff long distance is frustrating, to say the least. I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R...439011_t1_B01M6E54PI

Yours looks more like what we had in our offices in Germany. Does that have to be wired? Via the Cat 5/6 cable.

Thanks.

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am using a couple TP-Link N300 wireless range extenders. They seem to work fine.

I specifically bought them because they were ones that are wired devices. I did not want one that just repeated a wireless signal it picked up.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvyellowbird:
Yours looks more like what we had in our offices in Germany. Does that have to be wired? Via the Cat 5/6 cable.

Thanks.
Yep, with a single CAT5 (or CAT6) connection. Its POE (power over ethernet) so no need for additional power.

If I couldn't do the WAP I linked to, I'd go with something like these before trying to install something that simply re-broadcasts a WiFi signal.

TP-Link AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit

I had good success installing these at my parent's house given my father forbid me from cutting any of their walls or ceilings to install boxes for CAT6.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I set this system up at my folks house. It's worked well since Christmas.

https://eero.com/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I went with mesh routers back in December as well.

https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi

It's the best setup that I've had.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Can you get a run of CAT5 or CAT6 wire there? If so, this is a terrific solution that's easy on the pocketbook. Its not a booster, but rather, a wired access point.

I installed one of these in the middle of my great room, and it provides a five bar WiFi signal throughout the entire house (single story, 2700sqft).

I use the UAP-AC-PRO and it's fantastic. Plus you can add lites any time you need signal elsewhere and the integrate very easily.

I love my Ubiquiti.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Run a cable and just about any AP you get should suffice.
Ubiquiti are good but not ones I recommend a novice get involved with.

PS get an Access Point and not a "router" if possible but if you do get a router then you must configure it properly > disable DHCP and do not use the WAN port.
Get a stand alone AP if possible.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bear Extender .
Best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Run a cable and just about any AP you get should suffice.
Ubiquiti are good but not ones I recommend a novice get involved with.

Extending a Wi-fi network via cabling is the best way to go. I finally bit the bullet and bought an AP brand that smschulz recommends, the Engenius, and I am overwhelmed at their power and ease of configuration/management (all via a browser interface). The first was an outdoor AP at our RV pad, where I happened to have conduit and a Cat5e cable. That projected signal so well that I replaced my indoor AP, an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station, with an indoor Engenius AP (the EAP1750H). That again blew away the performance of the AEBS from the same location. I am very pleased with the Engenius products for access points (don't get the "managed", you can do everything on the unmanaged from the browser).

The Ubiquiti is good also. Both brands can be powered over ethernet. The Ubiquiti requires a controller to run somewhere, though, either on a home computer or in the cloud.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I got this and its been great. Router is on the opposite side of our house from the bedroom and my wife's phone was having issues with signal. Now it's full bars around the house.

https://www.costco.com/Linksys...oduct.100291826.html

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
The Ubiquiti requires a controller to run somewhere, though, either on a home computer or in the cloud. 
I believe you only need to run the controller software on a PC on the network to setup or make changes to the WAP, after which it can run on its own.

Never tried anything Engenius. Will have to read up on them.

Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, went with one of the simple TPLink ones. Not being there to do set-up made simple one the best choice. Not that I'm sure I could set up some of the ones recommended! But good info to keep handy for the future.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:

When installed as a wired access point, can you assign it with the same network name and password as your primary wireless router, making it one seamless WiFi covered area?

If not what is the best choice for that use? I just want my Wifi to work throughout my whole house without having to manually switch my phone between networks each time.

I already have CAT6 from my router to the other end of my house so that I could use this Neatgear extender as an access point:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In short that Netgear is a POS, it will only work as an access point for a short while then it crashes. The only way it works is with 2 different network names which is a pain in the ass. Netgear tech support is also a joke. A bunch of non-English speaking people who had no idea what an access point was or what I was trying to do.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
When installed as a wired access point, can you assign it with the same network name and password as your primary wireless router, making it one seamless WiFi covered area?

Basically ~ YES.
You need to program non-overlapping channels > 2.4ghz = 1,6,11 5.0ghz it is not generally an issue with much more channels available.
Keep in mind ~ the CLIENT decides when to jump ship to the next AP.
Some clients may actually hold on to a distant AP ~ this called a "sticky client" and can be difficult to overcome;
There can be controls on later model/decent APS to control "roaming" and "band steering".
In order for most of these controls to work properly or at all then need to be the same AP throughout or at least from the same mfg.
If you have the wifi on your Comcast router enabled and add a Netgear or whoever AP those controls may not function properly.
YMMV

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Ive got a cheap netgear n300 set up in the basement and it works well enough to stream videos and Get on Xbox live.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Powerline adapters. They've worked great for me. Plug another wifi router into one and you're good to go.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I recommend the Nighthawk Netgear AC1900 for either extending your current WiFi or using it as an access point. I bought it to replace an older access point and it seriously increased my WiFi speed. It is only $99.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:

If not what is the best choice for that use? I just want my Wifi to work throughout my whole house without having to manually switch my phone between networks each time.

I already have CAT6 from my router to the other end of my house so that I could use this Neatgear extender as an access point:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In short that Netgear is a POS, it will only work as an access point for a short while then it crashes. The only way it works is with 2 different network names which is a pain in the ass. Netgear tech support is also a joke. A bunch of non-English speaking people who had no idea what an access point was or what I was trying to do.
I have no idea how big your home is, but after I installed my Ubiquiti WAP on the 14 foot family room ceiling in the center of the house, I opted to shutoff the WiFi signal my Netgear router was putting out and just go with the Ubiquiti WAP. The strength and broadcast area of the Ubiquiti is so large, it easily covers my entire house (single story/4 bedroom/3 bath/2700sqft) and most of the front and back yards. With that setup, wireless devices only see the broadcast SSID for the WAP, so there's no jumping between WiFi devices. Works great!