SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawn chemicals and the environment/risks to humans
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawn chemicals and the environment/risks to humans Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

With spring in full swing, I know many of us use chemicals on our lawns to control weeds and pests, as well as to fertilize the soil so we have nice picture-perfect green grass. I'm wondering what problems, if any, do all these chemicals cause in the environment (flora and fauna), and what risks do they pose to humans? I'm talking chemicals commonly used today. I don't have an agenda, just would like to know. Perhaps there are some studies you can point to, but I'm also interested in your own knowledge and experience in layman's terms. Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Horse poop!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Horse poop!!

Haha! Are you suggesting the notion that today's chemicals can harm the environment is horse poop, or are you advocating we transition back to only using horse poop for our lawn needs? Big Grin

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Many bees are dying due to this, and it affects our food supply.

Apparently, from what I've heard, many foods have traces of Round Up, and other chemicals, in them. We are consuming this. That's not good yet we are told it's no problem.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Many bees are dying due to this.

That's what I've historically heard too, yet I've also read that the US and world-wide bee population is rising now.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Horse poop!!

That's the best fertilizer! Big Grin

Everyone has their idea of what their lawn should be and at one time I used Weed and Feed, crabgrass killer, even pesticide on occasion to have a lush green carpet of fescue. While many like the appearance these yards don't really support wildlife, other than maybe Robbins hopping around digging worms. I have since changed to reducing the area of what gets mowed and just mow what weeds and grasses that grow naturally and prefer how it looks.

This area used to be a lawn and was mowed by the previous owner every week or so. I've let it grow naturally mowing it once a year late July/early August after ground nesting birds have left.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Many bees are dying due to this, and it affects our food supply.

Apparently, from what I've heard, many foods have traces of Round Up, and other chemicals, in them. We are consuming this. That's not good yet we are told it's no problem.

Funny you should mention this. Yesterday my son, who has multiple certifications for applying pesticides, fertilizers, etc., told me in one of his training classes that an instructor starts every class by drinking a diluted cup of Roundup in front of the class with no apparent ill effects.

Personally, I don't care if they guy thinks it's harmless or not, I think he is a fool. My son deals with these chemicals every day in his job. The company he works for is nuts about protection, and they must wear rubber gloves, eye protection, have no bare skin exposed, etc. But sometimes in the evening he comes home smelling of chemicals. He takes a shower the minute he comes home from work.

Although he apparently takes all the proper precautions, I worry the long term health effects this might have, especially to his immune and reproductive systems.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I’m very protective of my the neighborhood bees as they do a wonderful job of pollinatating my tomatoes, watermelons, etc.

I’m 100% organic in my garden and only spray organic pesticides/ fungicides at sunset when bees should be back in hive.

I don’t eat my lawn and don’t have any outdoor pets so nothing is organic. This year, I followed Randy Lemmon’s (Houston lawn & garden guru) advice and did not use atrazine as a weed killer on the lawn (EDIT: this is not bee related. Atrazine is caustic to the feeder roots of trees and shrubs). I already limit pest contol to just house perimeter and do not apply to entire lawn unless I encounter systemic problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did lawn care for 2 summers - my boss applied broadleaf pesticides (namely stuff with 2-4-D in it). I never handled the chemicals, but was often exposed simply by being on the site and pushing a fertilizer spreader. I remember having - uhhhh - lower intestinal issues if there was a strong wind and I was breathing that shit in all day. Most of the guys on the crew had the same results - we'd be stopping at a gas station damn near between each property for one guy or another.

To this day I'm pretty sensitive to any exposure (say when my neighbor uses it and I can smell it for a few hours) to 2-4-d other than for a short time (like driving past a lawn where it was applied).

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know many of us use chemicals on our lawns to control weeds and pests, as well as to fertilize the soil so we have nice picture-perfect green grass. I'm wondering what problems, if any, do all these chemicals cause in the environment (flora and fauna), and what risks do they pose to humans?

I'll say this: I use weed & feed on my lawn because I don't want weeds. I try not to over apply. I do try to keep it off of the sidewalks and driveway where I know it the rain will wash it into the storm sewer and the creek. I'm sure some makes it to the creek anyway.

How much harm does it do to the surrounding environment? I don't know, but I hope it's minimal.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I diy treat the yard, weed n feed, weed, feed, insecticide, wash up after use but everything we put down is dry pellet.

If you don't treat it down here you'll end up with a crap lawn really quickly. St Augustine needs care.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is minimal compared to what the golf courses use.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Horse poop!!

We use chicken poop here.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
quote:
Horse poop!!

We use chicken poop here.

Well that's just a chicken shit move right there. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Horse poop!!

Doesn't that shit smell bad?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Lawn (and other) chemical manufacturers have to make a material safety data sheet available.

here is the one for a weed & feed: https://www.homedepot.com/cata...cbf-c6326c99284b.pdf

To me, it does not seem too awful. Don't eat a lot of it, wash up after using, and keep it out of the streams and ponds...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My concerns are the chemicals going into the watershed, but as for me, my concern is inhaling the crappe when I stir it up while mowing the lawn in addition to when I've handled it and sprayed it.

I have stage 2 kidney disease, but I don't think it is related to that...but it could be a factor.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1170 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
Horse poop!!

Ever smell human manure?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
Horse poop!!

Mine doesn't. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be far more worried about the genetically engineered seeds used to grow the grains, veggies and fruits we are now eating. Something about a seed that can only be used once gives me an odd feeling that we are screwing with mother nature.

Not to mention that you now have one entity controlling an entire nations foodsource. (once you taint the soil with these genetically modified abominations you cannot revert back)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post