SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    9mm ammo is cheaper than it's ever been
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm ammo is cheaper than it's ever been Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm set for the next little while, but I couldn't resist taking a look over at my favorite online enabler's. It seems to me that I remember actually paying a slight premium for preferring 124 grain bullets to 115 grain bullets from time to time, certainly over the last eight years preceding the Trump Presidency. That doesn't seem to be the case these days, so maybe it's a good time to dig deep and cache away a little more freshly manufactured FMJ ammo.

By the way, there doesn't really seem to be all that much of a price difference between most brands, either.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple cases of Federal back at the beginning of the year because with the rebate they were offering, it was less than I pay for components to reload, which is insane.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
even cheaper if you reload it and better quality.

I've been told by many people that its not worth reloading 9mm ammo. However for the amount that I shoot (about 10,000/year), there is a definite savings.

I currently load for $0.11 a round. $5.50 for a 50 rounds.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I miss 2K of Blazer AL for $200 shipped.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I've been tracking the price of ammo for 30 years. On an inflation adjusted basis, 9mm target ammo is the cheapest it's ever been. Yes, it's been cheaper in the past, but I'm not sure its ever been cheaper on an inflation adjusted basis.

You sure about this?

I was buying 100 round packs of WWB 9mm for $15 back in 2008. There's no way it's cheaper now even adjusted for inflation.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
I've been tracking the price of ammo for 30 years. On an inflation adjusted basis, 9mm target ammo is the cheapest it's ever been. Yes, it's been cheaper in the past, but I'm not sure its ever been cheaper on an inflation adjusted basis.

You sure about this?

I was buying 100 round packs of WWB 9mm for $15 back in 2008. There's no way it's cheaper now even adjusted for inflation.

I was using this:
https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

$15 in 2008 would be $17.60 in today's dollars, so I guess it was a little cheaper back then. I think the 100 rd WWB is going for about $18.50 per box today.

For me, I was tracking brass case ammo along the lines of WWB, Remington, Fiocchi, etc. I'm just not one to buy Wolf, Tulammo, any type of reloads, and some of the others, which understandably others are perfectly happy with.

I wasn't aware of the academy sports $5 / 50 boxes of Aluminum case ammo 15 years ago, but that sounds like a good deal at the time too.

That said, I stand corrected that it's not cheaper than ever, but maybe as cheap as it's been in a while Smile

Now, if only we could see into the future to know where it goes from here.......

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10908 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do remember buying many value packs of WWB at walmart years ago for $8.99/100. This was within that last 15 years. When they were on sale we'd hit all the walmarts we could find to buy it and .380. The cheapest I've seen WWB recently is $15/100 - nearly double the price.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the 100 rd WWB is going for about $18.50 per box today.

Not around here; it's over $20 now per pack of 100.

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
even cheaper if you reload it and better quality.

I've been told by many people that its not worth reloading 9mm ammo. However for the amount that I shoot (about 10,000/year), there is a definite savings.

I currently load for $0.11 a round. $5.50 for a 50 rounds.

Truthfully, it is not much of a savings, but you do get to shoot a hell of a lot more for the same amount of money. Wink

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M4Super90:
quote:
Originally posted by Clem Eastwood:
I remember it being $4 a box for blazer at academy.

It was at the Academy in Lewisville in 2004. Before I started loading we shot a ton of $79.80 per case ($3.99/50) of the aluminum stuff, but the brass was worth the $20 more. The aluminum wouldn't run at all in the CZ I was using for USPSA.

It was aluminum blazer! I forgot about that! The W. German P226 9mm I used to have ate the stuff like candy! Ahh the good old days.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post