SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    9mm ammo is cheaper than it's ever been
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm ammo is cheaper than it's ever been Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
I've been tracking the price of ammo for 30 years. On an inflation adjusted basis, 9mm target ammo is the cheapest it's ever been. Yes, it's been cheaper in the past, but I'm not sure its ever been cheaper on an inflation adjusted basis.

FMJ 115 grain target ammo can be had for $9 per box of 50, or even a little less if you shop around.

I don't follow other calibers as closely, but there may be some other deals to be had. As a side note, I was tracking .38 Sp for years, but I believe it was cheaper on an inflation adjusted scale about 20 years ago. Perhaps because the LEO market dried up and made it less of commodity -- not sure.

But, For those of us who love shooting, we live in glorious times. As for me, I'm increasing my stock just a little bit.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I was just on SG Ammo's site before I logged in here. It has great prices now and 9mm is really cheap in several brands. Does my heart good. Even 38 special is cheaper than usual.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I pay ~$185 shipped for case of decent plinking 9mm stuff (Brazer Brass, GECO, Magtech, Federal). I still spend a lot on ammo though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I used to get Blazer Aluminum at Academy (a Texas and nearby states chain) for just under $5 a box. Really. That was about 15 years ago.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Buy it cheap, stack it deep!!!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
.22 Ammo is starting to come down to pre-2013 panic levels. Federal 550 bulk packs at WM for under $20. Store it properly and it has a shelf life of 30+ years

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I used to get Blazer Aluminum at Academy (a Texas and nearby states chain) for just under $5 a box. Really. That was about 15 years ago.

That would be just under $7 in 2018 dollars.

So even with inflation adjustment, it was still a couple bucks cheaper per box back then.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can affirm that. I started shooting back in 2003, which was 15 years ago, and remember clearly buying 9mm ammo for $4.99 per 50-round box. 45ACP was $9.99 per 50-round box. This was at my local Walmart.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, I bought some $4 stuff about that same time, plus a ton of Ultramar at $99 a case.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
even cheaper if you reload it and better quality.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I just spent $0.17/round for commercial reload 115 grain practice ammo.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

No exaggeration, I still have a couple thousand rounds of win white box 100 packs from walmart back when it was 10 dollars a box.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I remember it being $4 a box for blazer at academy.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in 1999 when I started shooting IDPA and IPSC Walmart had 100 round boxes of WWB for $10.49. It was good stuff, too.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I just spent $0.17/round for commercial reload 115 grain practice ammo.

$20 per thousand rounds and you can have new practice ammo. If you don't collect the brass then you can get Al cased new Federal for $10 more per 1,000

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Brass 115 gr. PMP 9mm for $120/1000 shipped 15 years ago. I still have some.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My benchmark was, Gawd, $185 for a thousand rounds, or 20 boxes. still got most of it, and its (also Gawd) Remington. Up to that point, they made good ammo, or at least good enough for my purposes. I stacked it deep because I was just tired of reloading 9mm. If you recall, Slick was acting as prez and I wasn't all that confident of the future. It was a watershed point when I realized I had enough loaded 9mm for the near future. I turned my affection toward components. Still cheaper and maybe more viable because it doesn't need to be caliber specific. Empty cases, yes, just like bullets. but powder and primers have many uses. Now I've got enough loaded ammo till I die, and enough components for my sons if they're not too lazy to view it that way.

I hate the idea of expressing ammo prices in the 50 round box units. I'm lazy and don't like doubling the 50 round price to get price per 100 or moving the decimal point one place to get the price per 1000.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem Eastwood:
I remember it being $4 a box for blazer at academy.

It was at the Academy in Lewisville in 2004. Before I started loading we shot a ton of $79.80 per case ($3.99/50) of the aluminum stuff, but the brass was worth the $20 more. The aluminum wouldn't run at all in the CZ I was using for USPSA.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Cheapest I remember it being was around $15 for a 100 ct. box of WWB at Walmart around 2006 or so.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I also contend that 9mm was cheaper, inflation adjusted, about 15-17 years ago. The 'expensive' S&B was $4.95/50. Three events drove up the price... Iraq/Afghan war, China-India economic expansion, the Great Gun Stampede of the Krimson Kenyan.

The calculation to compare inflation to the 16 years change in price is simple if you have the logarithmic or anti-log function on your phone/calculator. I soaked up too much bourbon and corn chowder to get off of the couch...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post