SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Father accidentally shoots son. How do we get the gun safety message out?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Father accidentally shoots son. How do we get the gun safety message out? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
This happened locally to me on Saturday. I don't know the family, but I know people who do.

Father accidentally shoots son

"PORT CHARLOTTE -- A father who was cleaning a firearm accidentally shot and killed his son on Sept. 30, the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reports.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, John Edwin Jordan, 54, was cleaning a Glock 21 .45-caliber handgun in a home in the 400 block of Dorchester Street at about 3:50 p.m. after returning from a local gun range.

The firearm discharged and struck Joshua Alan Jordan, 22, who was in the entry area of the home. Family members performed CPR on him until emergency responders arrived.

Jordan was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Detectives have determined the shooting to be an accident."

Weird coincidence, but at almost the exact time this happened I was talking with a Sheriff's Deputy about firearms safety, disassembly, and how my new Walther PPQ 45 requires you to pull the trigger to disassemble it. He said Glocks are the same way and I commented you really have to make sure it's unloaded before you take them apart.

It seems people have stopped talking about firearms on a social level and kids aren't learning about firearms safety. Based on a limited sample at the local range, there seems to be quite a few new gun owners that haven't grown up with the rules and even some older ones that have become complacent. My dad is a classic example, he drilled into my head and my brother's to treat every firearm as if it were loaded, yet now he waves them around amd sweeps everyone in sight. He says it's ok because it isn't loaded.

I don't know what happened in the case above. I can speculate fairly easily that the father pulled the trigger as a part of the dissasembly process without clearing the chamber.

Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
Don't point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy.

How do we start that conversation with every gun owner new or experienced and keep talking about it to reinforce it in their and our minds?

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
What a terrible story. Can you imagine what that family is going through now? And what that Dad is feeling?

You can just never forget the basic rules of gun safety. They are so simple, yet so often ignored.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Tragic.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't fix stupid. And, although I am NOT referring to this case in particular, not all accidents are.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Oh it's out. We have the rules.

He broke at least two.

Complacency is the real killer.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
He said Glocks are the same way and I commented you really have to make sure it's unloaded before you take them apart.
That's true of every firearm. Really, really, really.

The man was 54 years old.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Lot of fellow pilots here, many have probably seen this hanging in a flight school or FBO. Same applies to guns I would say.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh it's out. We have the rules

What good does that do when they don't bother seeking them out.

Many of the new members I see coming into my club have little to no experience in the handling and use of a firearm. Some mistakes are glaring. Last week one twit let a round go from a 40 S&W into the forearm of his friend's AR15.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to the Sheriff’s Office, John Edwin Jordan, 54, was cleaning a Glock 21 .45-caliber handgun in a home in the 400 block of Dorchester Street at about 3:50 p.m. after returning from a local gun range.

Who doesn't remove the mag and clear the chamber before leaving the booth or station at the local gun range?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24072 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This is why I stopped cleaning my guns. It's way too dangerous

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'cleaning their guns'

Tragic but could've been avoided had some basic discipline and processes but adhered to.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's been a couple of times that I thought that I had unloaded a pistol but I hadn't and it scared the crap out of me. Things happen no matter how careful we are but the number one rule is don't ever, under any circumstance, point a gun at any living thing that you don't intend to shoot. I just don't understand how or why this guy pointed his gun anywhere near another person and pulled the trigger.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't believe there are many accidents. Especially the ones where people are injured, I think are caused by people playing stupid games with guns.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I just don't understand how or why this guy pointed his gun anywhere near another person and pulled the trigger.

Because he was looking down at his gun as he was disassembling it and didn't realize that his son was staring down the muzzle. Most likely his son was standing directly to his right or left, and he may have not even known that he was in the room or walked in the line of fire.

This is beyond tragic though. I can't imagine the kind of pain going through that family right now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:

Lot of fellow pilots here, many have probably seen this hanging in a flight school or FBO. Same applies to guns I would say.

In our local flying club there is a motto hanging over the door as you walk out of the FBO - it reads 'Remember, blue up and brown down'.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Who doesn't remove the mag and clear the chamber before leaving the booth or station at the local gun range?

Here in yUK the RCO clears the empty gun off the firing point before you can move anywhere.

On a range, NOBODY is allowed to shoot by themselves.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
The message is out. Short of applying driver's license rules to gun ownership - which nobody wants - that's the best you're going to get. And if traffic fatalities are any indication, it's not like that would solve the problem anyway.

All you can do is try and be a good steward of the sport and go from there.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
The message is out. Short of applying driver's license rules to gun ownership - which nobody wants - that's the best you're going to get. And if traffic fatalities are any indication, it's not like that would solve the problem anyway.

All you can do is try and be a good steward of the sport and go from there.

In California, you have to take a Safe Handling Test before you can walk out the door of the dealer with a firearm. It tests you on loading, unloading, and checking if a firearm is loaded (snap caps of course).

Say what you will about Kali gun laws, but after watching some people struggle though it, I have no problem with it.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rules of handling fire arms should be mandatory to graduate from middle school.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
The rules of handling fire arms should be mandatory to graduate from middle school.

The leftist argument for teaching sex ed in schools is how ineffective "abstinence" education is. Yet they have no problem abstaining from proper gun safety education.

Not trying to open a can of worms on sex education in schools. How that subject is managed is between a parent and a child (if they want to opt out, for example). There is no morality factor in learning safe gun handling anymore than one would find in Drivers Ed.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post