SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RUBBISH! Portland's Top Brass Said It Was OK to Swipe Your Garbage--so We Grabbed Theirs.

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
RUBBISH! Portland's Top Brass Said It Was OK to Swipe Your Garbage--so We Grabbed Theirs. Login/Join 
posted
Perched in his office on the 15th floor of the Justice Center, Chief Kroeker seemed perfectly comfortable with the idea of trash as public property.

"Things inside your house are to be guarded," he told WW. "Those that are in the trash are open for trash men and pickers and--and police. And so it's not a matter of privacy anymore."

Then we spread some highlights from our haul on the table in front of him.

"This is very cheap," he blurted out, frowning as we pointed out a receipt with his credit-card number, a summary of his wife's investments, an email prepping the mayor about his job application to be police chief of Los Angeles, a well-chewed cigar stub, and a handwritten note scribbled in pencil on a napkin, so personal it made us cringe. We also drew his attention to a newsletter from the conservative political advocacy group Focus on the Family, addressed to "Mr. & Mrs. Mark Kroeker."

"Are you a member of Focus on the Family?" we asked.

"No," the chief replied.

"Is your wife?"

"You know," he said, with a Clint Eastwood gaze, "it's none of your business."

http://www.wweek.com/portland/...-1616-rubbish.html-2

Posts: 387 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 25, 2010Report This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
And this is why a shredder is a wonderful device to have in the home. You want to see what instant ramen I eat, go ahead. You want to read documents about what I do and how I live, better bring an industrial sized stick of paste, magnifying glasses and a lot of patience.

I've always been under the impression that garbage was fair game.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You can't steal garbage, and it is also not covered by the Fourth Amendment.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Kroeker was with PPB like 10 years ago. Old article?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Kroeker was with PPB like 10 years ago. Old article?

23 Dec 2002

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
and it is also not covered by the Fourth Amendment.

I know, SCOTUS ruled on this but I don't necessarily agree.
My property line is technically the center of the street per my deed. Yes, the city has a right of way, but MY trash sitting at the curb is still on MY property.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I shred all the paper that comes through my house and in the winter I use the confetti for starting my fireplace. If somebody wants to dumpster dive in front of my house that’s their problem just clean it up.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You have the right to shred. If you give up the right to shred, anything you throw out can and will be used against you in a court of law.

quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
and it is also not covered by the Fourth Amendment.

I know, SCOTUS ruled on this but I don't necessarily agree.
My property line is technically the center of the street per my deed. Yes, the city has a right of way, but MY trash sitting at the curb is still on MY property.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up lots of garbage both as a cop and as a PI. Courts always accepted anything I found.
Your garbage man can be bribed to bring your trash to whoever wants it.
I have even heard of college kids and crossword puzzle experts used to reconstruct shredded documents.
True privacy is pretty elusive these days.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
All private type papers go into the woodstove here.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post