SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arecibo Observatory to be decommissioned
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arecibo Observatory to be decommissioned Login/Join 
Picture of PakRatJR
posted
This was one of those places I always thought would be cool to visit Frown

Edit: Finally got the link to post

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/n...cibo-radio-telescope

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PakRatJR,

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PakRatJR:
This was one of those places I always thought would be cool to visit

Link to story?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I drove by it in the mid-1970s but did not have time to visit it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by PakRatJR:
This was one of those places I always thought would be cool to visit

Link to story?

???? Odd....I did add it. I will try again...

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Finally got the link to work. I'm posting from my phone and it wasn't letting the link post for some reason

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went there about 10 years ago. Pretty impressive to see in person and pretty cool to be at the spot of so many movies as well.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I drove by it in the mid-1970s but did not have time to visit it.

flashguy

Drove by in 1995. The feed point unit was the size of a house.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to take a visit....wasn't this observatory used during a Bond movie? It looks familiar.

Posts: 584 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
That sucks. It was in the Bond movie "Goldeneye".

Apparently it was damaged in August when a support cable came loose, then another one broke in November. Further inspections said there were other issues with the remaining cables.

This is from the first failure:

Link with more details: (Full disclosure, link goes to "CNN World")

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Frown Wow that's a big hole Frown I am seriously jealous of you all that got to see it in person. Frown

Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
More news...... more cables gave out and the receiver is no longer suspended.... it crashed.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/...uerto-rico-telescope

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mid / late 1960s I based my airplane at Isla Grande airport, just a bit east of there.

I was curious, wanted to fly over it and look at it. I telephoned them to ask whether such a flight would cause a problem for them. They said no problem for them, but they advised me to turn my radio receivers off so that their emissions would not fry my radios.

I had a bunch of photos, looking down at the dish, but fifty years later they are long lost.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Earthquake in the DR may have contributed per Scott. I'm sure there will more info coming forward.
https://youtu.be/vchDbyIRP44

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was going to put in an offer to buy it and move it here to AZ

oh well

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Is that a monolith I see way back there????

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Damnit Bond... Do you have any idea how expensive that telescope was?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
A pic from Twitter

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
That thing would have been perfect to send the Bonhomme Richard back in time and alter history. The fire and cover story were believable, right? Roll Eyes Big Grin

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post