SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida's Stand Your Ground Law Ruled Unconstitutional
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida's Stand Your Ground Law Ruled Unconstitutional Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sounds like the 'judge' needs a lesson in the second amendment and what separation of powers really means

his job is to administer, not write the law

he probably missed that part in his Introduction to the Law class while he was picking his nose.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) The judge is a nut with an ax to grind

B) Either FL law is very different or the judge is really stretching

C) Thank you to whomever posted the opinion.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Milton Hirsch ruled that the amendment to the law allowed lawmakers to overstep their authority, adding that it should have been crafted by the Florida Supreme Court in the first place, The Miami Herald reported.

That's an interesting view. The judge feels the courts should draft legislation?!? Separation of Powers is pretty sacrosanct in most of the country...there's this document

Courts interpret the law. They cannot write the law (though assholes like this Twatwaffle) want to do both.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
As others, I'm confused:

1) Why is a judge indicating that laws should be crafted by the court? Pass law school?

2) Why does a victim need to prove anything?

3) Why does the AG want to prosecute a victim? If not for the assailant, there would be no victim. AG really have nothing better to do than to try to prosecute somebody, anybody each time there is a crime, even if only the victim is left? These are the same type of people who would criminalize a rape victim for the clothes they wore.

Seriously, how do we get rid of these people, at least from office if not the gene pool? Too stupid to live.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:

quote:
From the Article:
Data shows Florida's Stand Your Ground law is awful. The rule lets you kill anyone you want in self-defense, even if you're the person who started a fight. In the years since the law went into effect, the state's murder rate has shot up dramatically. The law has been used to exonerate multiple cops who have shot unarmed people and, most notably, to let George Zimmerman walk free after following, harassing, and then fatally shooting unarmed Miami teen Trayvon Martin — a killing that later helped spark the Black Lives Matter movement.

It's a half-truth that the murder rate "shot up dramatically". It spiked a couple years after the law, but then receded down to it's previous level a couple years after that. The murder rate has been essentially flat ever since.

Florida Murder Rate - 1960-2015:

Sources: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/

Murder - The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse.

How does this chart relate to stand your ground?
Are not guilty of misconduct killing stats included in the chart, why? Criminal actor learning curve, could fit the several year chart bump in that case.

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:

Murder - The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse.

Are not guilty of misconduct killing stats included in the chart, why? Criminal actor learning curve, could fit the several year chart bump in that case.

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Miami Judge References Harry Potter to Strike Down New "Stand Your Ground" Law

From the Article:
In the years since the law went into effect, the state's murder rate has shot up dramatically.

I posted the graph to disprove the statement from the linked article (above) that, "In the years since the (Stand Your Ground) law went into effect, the state's murder rate has shot up dramatically". The wording from that statement makes it sound like the murder rate shot up after the law went into effect and has continued to rise ever since. That (from the graph) is obviously not true. Another point: Just because the murder rate increased after the law went into effect does not mean that that was caused by the law.

I don't understand your other two questions.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
As others, I'm confused:

1) Why is a judge indicating that laws should be crafted by the court? Pass law school?

2) Why does a victim need to prove anything?

3) Why does the AG want to prosecute a victim? If not for the assailant, there would be no victim. AG really have nothing better to do than to try to prosecute somebody, anybody each time there is a crime, even if only the victim is left? These are the same type of people who would criminalize a rape victim for the clothes they wore.

Seriously, how do we get rid of these people, at least from office if not the gene pool? Too stupid to live.

JHE, could you please comment #3 above by Konata ? I've always wondered the exact same thing for years. Are these people evil ? I can't believe they are, so I obviously don't understand why prosecutors prosecute victims who are likely not guilty in an affirmative defense ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

From the Article:
In the years since the law went into effect, the state's murder rate has shot up dramatically.

I posted the graph to disprove the statement from the linked article (above) that, "In the years since the (Stand Your Ground) law went into effect, the state's murder rate has shot up dramatically". The wording from that statement makes it sound like the murder rate shot up after the law went into effect and has continued to rise ever since. That (from the graph) is obviously not true. Another point: Just because the murder rate increased after the law went into effect does not mean that that was caused by the law.

Justified killings are not murder. If the Murder chart includes Non Murder data, very possible now days. It takes a while for crimes with less lethal outcomes to become preference, thus the chart bump up in murders?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: springnr,

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

From the Article:

Justified killings are not murder. If the Murder chart includes Non Murder data, very possible now days. It takes a while for crimes with less lethal outcomes to become preference, thus the chart bump up in murders?

The source of this data is http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/. They source their data from the FBI - Uniform Crime report. So this should not include justifiable homicides. The FBI-UCR has seperate tables for that.

I think it's a possible theory that murders spiked temporarily, because some criminals thought they could use the SYG law to cover their murders. Once they found out they couldn't, murders declined. It's a theory. The rise could just have easily been caused something else.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
most notably, to let George Zimmerman walk free after following, harassing, and then fatally shooting unarmed Miami teen Trayvon Martin —

Correct me if I'm wrong. My memory is that Zimmerman did not raise the "stand you ground" defense.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/c...-ground-laws/2131629
http://abcnews.go.com/US/flori...es/story?id=22543929
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/g...your-ground-defense/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
The Florida Supreme Court is pretty liberal. I'm being diplomatic.

Yes, I remember their shenanigans during the whole Bush v Gore imbroglio. They essentially ignored the state law, and later even SCOTUS to keep the recount going.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post