SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Route 91 fest Vegas shooting?
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 87

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Route 91 fest Vegas shooting? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Of course there would be confusion as events unfolded. I still think an intruder with ill intentions at this bar is a low likelihood probability.

Low likelihood in hindsight, perhaps. But that's just it... In the chaos of the situation, nobody knew exactly what was going on. They didn't have any way of knowing that there was only one shooter up in the Mandalay Bay. All they knew was that there was an active shooter or shooters nearby, and people were being killed outside. So they decided to hole up in the bar and protect the entrance until they got the all-clear from law enforcement, which was very smart.

Look at one of the recent London attacks a few months back. Multiple jihadis rammed a van into a crowd at a market, then roamed the streets with machetes attacking people and forcing their way into restaurants and pubs where people had taken cover along the way. I'm sure there were folks hiding inside some of those businesses wishing they had an armed police officer covering the entrance when one or more of the attackers tried to come inside. (Although inside one of these pubs was the "Fuck you, I'm Millwall" guy, which was nearly as good.)

Or look at the mall shooting in Kenya from several years back. Multiple shooters wandering the mall, attacking folks who were trying to hide in various shops and restaurants. Again, I'm sure they wished they had an armed person guarding their doors.

Arguments about keeping your gun vs. giving up your own gun to the officer aside, the people in the Redneck Riviera as a whole did exactly the right thing, IMO. Take cover in a secure location. Keep an armed watch on the entrance. Wait for the cavalry.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
this may clarify some of Danley's travel

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...er-meet-FBI-LAX.html

Danley first arrived in the Philippines on September 15, according to immigration documents there.

She departed on September 22 then returned three days later on a flight from Hong Kong. She was traveling on an Australian passport.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Well, the off duty cop did show credentials. In the event there was a shooting at the bar doorway, why not let the off duty cop share the brunt of any legal ramifications? Yes, it could flow back to the bar & gun owner.

Of course there would be confusion as events unfolded. I still think an intruder with ill intentions at this bar is a low likelihood probability.

What is a cop doing without his firearm, even off duty?

It may not be required everywhere, but the cops in SD claimed it was required that they be armed 24/7.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Possibly he was being prudent, since he was off-duty, on vacation out-of-state, and bar-hopping.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9147 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

Possibly he was being prudent, since he was off-duty, on vacation out-of-state, and bar-hopping.

My sister used to not carry all the time offduty until I finally convinced her otherwise. She now carries everywhere. In fact, she just visited me in Utah, and rather than go through all the trouble of transporting her gun, I gave her one of mine to carry for the week.

But I still know a few officers who simply don't carry off-duty.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

It may not be required everywhere, but the cops in SD claimed it was required that they be armed 24/7.

He was from Minnesota. He was in Vegas on vacation. Many cops I know, even those that carry off duty religiously back at home, don't take guns with them when they fly somewhere on vacation.

Personally, I hate flying with guns. It's a hassle and a huge theft risk. That's one of the many reasons that I rarely fly anywhere, and prefer to drive to my vacation destinations.

Most departments don't require their officers to be armed 24/7 (even though it's usually strongly recommended). And even among those that do have such a policy, I'd be surprised if any policy stated that their officers have to be armed 24/7 anywhere in the US, even if they're on vacation. I suspect those policies would state something like they must be armed when out and about within their jurisdiction, or at least within their state.

Besides, he was in a bar. Most likely, he was planning to drink. Therefore, he would have left his gun behind. LEOSA, the law that allows cops to carry anywhere in the US, specifically prohibits carrying while intoxicated. Even if it didn't, that's the smart thing to do.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Zero Hedge article is skeptical of msm accounts of shooting.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...a-doesnt-want-talk-a

As you will see below, the evidence is mounting that there were multiple shooters and that this was an operation that was planned well in advance. But according to the mainstream media, a 64-year-old retired accountant with a flabby physique that had no military training whatsoever and that wasn’t very experienced with guns was able to pull the whole thing off all by himself. We are being told that Paddock was a “lone wolf” that didn’t have any ties to terror groups, and since he is now dead nobody is ever going to be able to interrogate him.

But the American people definitely deserve some answers about what took place, and that means that all of us should keep digging.

The following are 16 unanswered questions about the Las Vegas shooting that the mainstream media does not want to talk about…
-----
Conspiracy theory so click the link if you want to read more.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...a-doesnt-want-talk-a

As you will see below, the evidence is mounting that there were multiple shooters and that this was an operation that was planned well in advance. But according to the mainstream media, a 64-year-old retired accountant with a flabby physique that had no military training whatsoever and that wasn’t very experienced with guns was able to pull the whole thing off all by himself. We are being told that Paddock was a “lone wolf” that didn’t have any ties to terror groups, and since he is now dead nobody is ever going to be able to interrogate him.

But the American people definitely deserve some answers about what took place, and that means that all of us should keep digging.

The following are 16 unanswered questions about the Las Vegas shooting that the mainstream media does not want to talk about…
-----

Lee Harvey was also firing from the triple overpass between Luxor and NYNY. Ex-Marine Marksman, you know.

Seriously?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh, goody, here we go again.

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
ZeroHedge just made my “blocked” list.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

[snip]

The boss has clearly stated on at least two occasions, unless I'm mistaken, that he doesn't want to see that kind of thing in this thread.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Wasn't that off duty cop from Minnesota? I cant blame him for not wanting to deal with the hassle of checking his handgun to go on vacation.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Who was on the dusty knoll?

(no one, that's who)

posted Hide Post
I don’t think that I’ve ever read any conspiracy theory that didn’t say that it’s impossible for an average person to shoot a semi auto rifle. Apparently, you must be a hulking, muscle bound member of the special forces with years of intense training to operate these complex weapon systems.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.foxnews.com/health/...-venue-disaster.html

More than 500 victims injured by a gunman who opened fire on concert-goers at Las Vegas’ Route 91 Harvest Festival on Sunday night arrived at nearby hospitals after the massacre, where medics were quickly faced with life-altering scenarios. University Medical Center (UMC) is the only level-one trauma center in Nevada, and turned into “controlled chaos” after being flooded with over 100 patients who arrived in ambulances and witnesses' cars.

“We started divvying them up, taking them to the operating room and doing what’s called ‘damage control surgery,’ where you’re not definitively repairing everything,” Jay Coats, a trauma surgeon at UMC, told USA Today. “ You are just stopping the dying .”

Coats said the injuries varied, but that every bed was quickly filled, with patients overflowing into the hallways and even outside the medical center. With the injury count so high, Coats has no recollection of who he operated on.

“It was very clear that the first patient I took back and operated on that this was a high-powered weapon,” he said. “This wasn’t a normal street weapon. This was something that did a lot of damage when it entered the body cavity.”

As a level-one trauma center, the hospital is fully staffed with surgeons and trauma nurses around-the-clock in case disaster strikes.

The classification also means UMC participates in two major disaster drills each year, in addition to internal drills. Dr. John Fildes, a trauma surgeon and UMC’s director of trauma and chair of UNLV School of Medicine surgery department, said the center has drilled on a concert venue disaster in the past.

Hospital spokeswoman Danita Cohen said UMC had been in contact with medical staff in Orlando in the aftermath of the Pulse nightclub shooting as part of their training.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Wasn't that off duty cop from Minnesota? I cant blame him for not wanting to deal with the hassle of checking his handgun to go on vacation.

I often did. It’s a bother, but not so hideous that you could not endure it. And a LEO probably need not worry about where the plane lands.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

[snip]

The boss has clearly stated on at least two occasions, unless I'm mistaken, that he doesn't want to see that kind of thing in this thread.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zero Hedge article is skeptical of msm accounts of shooting...

Against my better judgement, I clicked the link and read the 16 points. Every single one has been debunked in this thread, is factually wrong, or is just plain stupid.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The truth is ofttimes boring.

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Zero Hedge article is skeptical of msm accounts of shooting...

Against my better judgement, I clicked the link and read the 16 points. Every single one has been debunked in this thread, is factually wrong, or is just plain stupid.

I came to the same conclusion. The flickering light near the 4th floor was flickering when there was no noise. It was not a 2nd shooter. That writer is trying to stir the pot.