SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Route 91 fest Vegas shooting?
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 87

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Route 91 fest Vegas shooting? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Incredibly annoying to see the tabloid-style headlines on Drudge.
HE HAD A SECRET LIFE
'DID NOT ACT ALONE'

So, he bought a bunch of guns over 20 years, some were made to order costing several thousands. Well, gee weez Louise, that makes most of us monsters, too. Roll Eyes

'DID NOT ACT ALONE' - Really? Still speculations running rampant. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Even though they say he accumulated the weapons over a period of many year, I believe they also stated that 31 of them were all bought last October. That's quite a lot to purchase in such a relatively short amount of time, even for a hardcore collector or enthusiast. Was around election time so???

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Report This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
HE HAD A SECRET LIFE
'DID NOT ACT ALONE'

So, he bought a bunch of guns over 20 years, some were made to order costing several thousands. Well, gee weez Louise, that makes most of us monsters, too. Roll Eyes

Sadly...this piece of shit wasn't this kinda monster Frown...he was the real deal.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Having those fuel tanks there for him to focus on certainly saved lives.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Having those fuel tanks there for him to focus on certainly saved lives.

I agree.

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by was0311:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
It could have been a lot worse... he tried to blow tanks with aviation fuel....

Dude should have watched Mythbusters.
Wouldn't matter if he was 667 yards or 67 yards, that wasn't going to blow. Could've used a 50 cal and it wasn't going to blow.

Appreciate your input, man. That's good to know that sort of thing wasn't a risk from someone who would know.

quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I wonder if 7.62 tracers could have kicked off an ignition.

Nope...

And echo what I said above. Thanks for weighing in on that one, guys.

I wonder if he had designs on setting a tannerite charge on those tanks. Pure speculation, and I forget whether they found it at his house or in the hotel, but if we're gonna try to throw all the grey area stuff that scares liberals into a horrible attack, the tannerite was the only thing that was missing. IED's by the lone-wolves with no training seem to often go awry.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
DID NOT ACT ALONE' - Really? Still speculations running rampant.

It was the sheriff who said that. I highly doubt it was pure speculation. He knows something about an accomplice or accomplices or he would never have said that.

I don't understand the persistence on this-- as if it is not within the realm of possibility that he was not just a lone crazy man..... Like that is not even possible??

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder if he had designs on setting a tannerite charge on those tanks. Pure speculation, and I forget whether they found it at his house or in the hotel, but if we're gonna try to throw all the grey area stuff that scares liberals into a horrible attack, the tannerite was the only thing that was missing. IED's by the lone-wolves with no training seem to often go awry.

I seriously doubt it...Tannarite has a lot of boom...but not a lot of heat or pressure...it works well on pumpkins and such shit...maybe refrigerators...but not enough umph for double wall fuel tanks...this is another "let's spend money for noisy entertainment masturbation".

Jimmy Buffet

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Here’s exactly what those fuel tanks look like from the suite he was shooting from (screenshot I grabbed from the YouTube video of the person who once stayed in the same room)

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

On Wednesday, Las Vegas Sheriff Joseph Lombardo revealed a new timeline for the Vegas killings, based on bodycam and CCTV footage.
The previous timeline had been based on the computer-aided dispatch report, which compiled figures based on individuals' timestamps, and so was not as accurate.
Below is the new timeline of Sunday's shooting, as relayed by Lombardo.
About 10pm: Paddock uses a hammer to smash two windows on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort, giving him a view over the Route 91 Harvest country music festival, where 22,000 people were watching headline act Jason Aldean perform.
10.05pm: Paddock, who has an arsenal of 23 weapons - 12 of which are semi-automatic rifles equipped with bump-stocks that effectively give them fully automatic fire - fires his first, sustained shots. This is seen on CCTV from the concert venue.
10.12pm: The first two police officers - who were already in the area, and alerted by someone on the 31st floor, arrive at that person's room with a member of hotel security and announce that the gunfire is above them.
10.15pm: Another hotel security guard, responding to complaints from guests and separate from the police investigation, approaches Paddock's room on the 32nd floor.
At this time, Paddock - likely using the two cameras he placed on a room service cart in he hall, and a third he had installed in his door's peephole - is alerted to the guard's presence and fires more than 200 rounds through the door at him.
The last gunfire from Paddock is reported at this time, 10:15pm.
10:17pm: The police officers who were on the 31st floor arrive on the 32nd floor at the central elevator, at the opposite end of the corridor to Paddock's room.
10:18pm: The cops find the security guard - who is, miraculously, only wounded. He gives them the exact location of Paddock's room.
10:26: Eight additional cops arrive and join the 31st floor cops and the injured security guard. Because Paddock is no longer firing, and hasn't for more than 10 minutes, he is assumed to be in barricade mode. It is decided that the first focus should be evacuating the floor.
10:26-10:30pm: All of them - including the injured guard - then clear the rooms on the way to Paddock, looking for wounded or trapped people. The hurt guard is told to seek medical help during this process.
10:55pm: Eight more officers arrive at the other end of the corridor, in a stairwell around two-to-three feet from the door to Paddock's room. They have walked up the stairwell carrying guns and heavy bags of equipment. K-9 units are also there. The stairwell door is secured, but they open it; when they see the cameras on the room service cart they decide to hold back.
11:20pm: Having formulated a plan, the cops use explosives to breach Paddock's door. At this point, he has not fired for more than an hour. They find him dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. They note that there is a second door in the suite that is locked.
11.27pm: The second door is breached; police see that no-one else is in this room and radio in to say that the suspect is down.

It seems that he killed himself with the revolver at 10:15 pm, after hosing the doors with 200 rounds.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that he killed himself with the revolver at 10:15 pm, after hosing the doors with 200 rounds.

Many of these shooters have offed themselves once they have faced resistance. I suspect the security guard was all it took. He knew the gig was up at that point.

Brave guy. Hope he heals fast.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

I seriously doubt it...Tannarite has a lot of boom...but not a lot of heat or pressure...it works well on pumpkins and such shit...maybe refrigerators...but not enough umph for double wall fuel tanks...this is another "let's spend money for noisy entertainment masturbation".

Ok, thanks for breaking it down. I've never messed with the stuff myself, always seemed like the least economical way of dangerously amusing myself.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Many of these shooters have offed themselves once they have faced resistance. I suspect the security guard was all it took. He knew the gig was up at that point.

Brave guy. Hope he heals fast.

Yeah I think that lone security guy might have saved a lot of lives just by showing up at Paddock's suite at 10:15 pm. Paddock effectively stopped shooting at the crowd and offed himself shortly thereafter.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I typed up a post a couple of days ago that got lost in cyberspace. In short it was a comparison of this asshole's father's dysfunction and the finale of White Heat where James Cagney goes out screaming 'look at me now Ma'. Just a coincidence I'm sure but thank God those fuel tanks did not ignite!

FWIW, I think the monster did it as the ultimate thrill, to usurp the power of life and death.

Any LEOs have an opinion if the FBI/LVPD ought to look for correlations of missing persons and locations where the sicko used to live?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Report This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Any LEOs have an opinion if the FBI/LVPD ought to look for correlations of missing persons and locations where the sicko used to live?

They don't need to, even though they might anyway.

The motivations of the two types of acts are completely different

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14183 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
HE HAD A SECRET LIFE
'DID NOT ACT ALONE'

The sheriff actually said in the presser last night that the shooter had to have help with the planning. He didn't say there were two shooters though. Anyway maybe that drove the Drudge headline.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
How much help does it take to plan?
Rent room.
Carry luggage (guns) into room over multiple days.
Break window
Shoot.

None of this is complicated. He obviously practiced with the guns to know they get hot and malfunction after a while (hence multiple) but I'm sure most of us know this.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Report This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Looks like we have one more business to add to our shit-list. They’re gonna regret this very soon...

UPDATE: They tried to remove this letter but someone managed to save it.
https://machinegunsvegas.com/Vegas-press-alert/

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Im not so sure what the hubub is about there? ^^^

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post