SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Route 91 fest Vegas shooting?
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 87

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Route 91 fest Vegas shooting? Login/Join 
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Sheriff says Paddock might have been "radicalized."

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10...ve-been-radicalized/

Meanwhile, ISIS doubled down on their claim that Paddock was a jihadi, identifying him as "Abu Abd al-Bar al-Amriki."
Umm, no:
quote:
Speaking to reporters, Lombardo said, “I want to understand the motivation that you described, okay, to prevent any future incidents, and, you know, did this person get radicalized unbeknownst to us? And we want to identify that source.”
He said nothing. Those words mean nothing. He said he wants to understand the guy's motivation. Well, no shit, Sherlock. You're the sheriff. But don't tell us what you want. Tell us what you know.
And he told us nothing. There's a reason for that- he knows nothing about the guy's motivation.

The shooter sent his girlfriend on a trip because he needed her out of the way. Would he go to Vegas under normal circumstances without his girlfriend? Of course not, but if she was out of the country...

Also, he wanted to give her money. Is he going to strap 100K to her body and see if she can make it through customs? Of course not. He wired it to her once she was overseas.

There's nothing complicated about any of this, it seems to me. He was insane and wanted to kill as many people as possible before he killed himself, and leave his mark on the world in the process.

But no, we get "WAS HE RADICALIZED??" and questions about his political leanings, in the face of a complete lack of any such evidence.

Come on

Oh, ISIS claimed responsibility? Yeah, that makes sense, if you were born yesterday.

Not to be argumentative, but in the spirit of an open discussion: I don't think the reporter said anything about radicalization, just "what was his motive?" So the sheriff brought in that highly charged word, and I think that might be significant.

Also, ISIS rarely takes credit for attacks unless they actually have in fact been behind the attack. There are only 2 such instances-- where they falsely took credit-- and one of the two is still in question. They doubled down on this claim about Paddock, and, again, I think that is significant.

What puzzles me about this discussion-- of possible ISIS involvement-- is that all I'm saying (and some others)-- is that this looks like it could be a carefully planned terrorist attack. Could it NOT be? Sure. I would not ridicule that possibility. I don't understand, under the circumstances, why the possibility of ISIS-connected terrorism is ridiculed. Again, not argumentative. I just don't understand that.

Concur. IS doesn't often falsely claim responsibility. To my knowledge it was only once, in the PI, which was a late add to their franchise. I can think of many examples where we were publicly and forcefully told this is NOT related to Muslim terrorism, only to have our authorities backtrack later on. This certainly doesn't appear to be anything except what is claimed: one diabolical psycho. However, the investigation is ongoing and these events are anomalous. At this time, anything is possible for a motive.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
That he had so many in the room didn't make him any less deadly.

I did make him more deadly because he was firing full auto (with the bump stock). He wore a glove for the heat, which quickly becomes intense, and when a barrel got too hot to keep firing, he just dropped the weapon and picked up another.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Quick correction, he was not firing "full auto" he was just firing a semiautomatic very quickly. A bump stock does not convert a semiautomatic to full automatic any more than my trigger finger does (if I had Jerry Miculek's finger).

We need to be very careful not to let the speed at which bullets leave the barrel define the operating definition of a firearm or we will be in a world of hurt. The law has a very clear definition of full automatic and semiautomatic and a bump stock does not fall into the former.

Thank you.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Valium is not an antidepressant.

To be specific, Paddock was on Diazepam, first marketed as Valium.

From Wikipedia --

Common side effects include sleepiness and trouble with coordination. Serious side effects are rare. They include suicide, decreased breathing, and an increased risk of seizures if used too frequently in those with epilepsy. Occasionally excitement or agitation may occur. Long term use can result in tolerance, dependence, and withdrawal symptoms on dose reduction. Abrupt stopping after long-term use can be potentially dangerous. After stopping, cognitive problems may persist for six months or longer.

However classified, it can be a problem.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Taxi cab video

Ok here is a full video from the taxi cab driver for you to listen to and watch

Things to note gun fire close by then far away. I at first well that was just an echo.

But if you keep listening to it you hen first hear shots in the distance then shots close by. Opposite of what would happen in an echo situation.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
Taxi cab video

Things to note gun fire close by then far away. I at first well that was just an echo.

But if you keep listening to it you hen first hear shots in the distance then shots close by. Opposite of what would happen in an echo situation.

Or he started taking the video after the first shots were fired and only recorded the echo of the first shots. Obviously, he started the video after it started to happen, unless he had foreknowledge the attack was going to happen. Hmm, I'll bet he's one of them...

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Some of the media and politicians are getting more quiet about the massacre.

Something is coming out about the shooter in the coming days.
My thinking is evidence will emerge that he is an avid and known anti Trumper.

Wait and watch.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31423 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Taxi cab video

Or he started taking the video after the first shots were fired and only recorded the echo of the first shots. Obviously, he started the video after it started to happen, unless he had foreknowledge the attack was going to happen. Hmm, I'll bet he's one of them...

Did you listen to it? The video is constant

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
I at this point in time I will not lock into just one shooter or multiple shooters. As an investigator tunnel vision is not your friend.

But video is. Enough time has elapsed that I would venture to say that ALL video from the hotel has been sifted through at the time of the event.

If there had been anyone leaving the room, evidence of other rooms being involved, anything, we'd be hearing noise of the FBI serving search warrants here or there. Or BOLO's for more "persons of interest". That hasn't happened.

This type of investigation is the super bowl for those involved. It isn't just one guy working this. It is hundreds of state, local, and federal investigators.

You can't throw a dead cat in Vegas without hitting a video camera.

My questions is this: how did this guy manage to install his own surveillance equipment in the hotel without being seen either live or via security reviews of footage? (assuming that the info relayed on the surveillance equipment is legit and not BS)

Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

Wait and watch.

Won't matter. In their eyes, it's the guns' fault. Not the shooter.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

that could be a product of him shooting out of two different windows and their proximity to the cab.

I think there was one shooter and that video is pretty scary to listen to.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

So they will suddenly drop their hatred of the guns... in favor of their hatred of Trump?
Some, on social media, will celebrate the asshole as a hero.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
I at this point in time I will not lock into just one shooter or multiple shooters. As an investigator tunnel vision is not your friend.

But video is. Enough time has elapsed that I would venture to say that ALL video from the hotel has been sifted through at the time of the event.

If there had been anyone leaving the room, evidence of other rooms being involved, anything, we'd be hearing noise of the FBI serving search warrants here or there. Or BOLO's for more "persons of interest". That hasn't happened.

This type of investigation is the super bowl for those involved. It isn't just one guy working this. It is hundreds of state, local, and federal investigators.

You can't throw a dead cat in Vegas without hitting a video camera.

My questions is this: how did this guy manage to install his own surveillance equipment in the hotel without being seen either live or via security reviews of footage? (assuming that the info relayed on the surveillance equipment is legit and not BS)

Camera on fish eye peep hole, and on the cart. If you look at the pictures of he cart outside the door you will see a wire going under the door. He most likely had the camera ready on the cart he had in his room and pushed it out just before he started shooting.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
quote:

that could be a product of him shooting out of two different windows and their proximity to the cab.

I think there was one shooter and that video is pretty scary to listen to.

I don’t believe the 30 ft of distance from the two windows would make that much difference in sound. The taxi was near the Mandalay mezzanine and under it. I would be checking the mezzanine roof for casings, but if I was part of a group and wanted it to look like a lone shooter, I would have a back pack rigged to catch my casings.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:

This thread seems to exclude some common sense. No offense, but it's simple.

Immediately before he started this atrocity, he placed a camera or two immediately outside of the suite's door, and/or on the food cart that was immediately outside the second (standard) room he rented. The cameras could have been wireless or wired, and they were most likely smaller than a deck of cards. They were probably pointed down the hallway, and toward the staircase door immediately outside the suite's double door. If you set it up in the room, you could then place two cameras outside in less than 15 seconds.

It would be very difficult - if not impossible - for security to notice live and react to ... unless they were staring at the monitor with the camera showing a great view of the room door AND the video guy knowing what he was looking for.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, I did. Twice.

You don't know when he started the video. I'm saying he didn't start the video before the first shots were fired. How could he unless he knew when it was going to happen? He wasn't just driving around taking video and happened to capture the whole thing. If you accept that, then you can't say the first shots you hear on the video are not echoes and thus muted. In subsequent bursts of fire, you can hear the shots and their muted echoes fairly clearly.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
timeline

10:09 P.M. - 10:18 P.M.

Stephen Paddock fires on and off into Route 91 festival crowd from his Mandalay Bay hotel room. LVMPD report Paddock fired more than a dozen volleys of gunfire for nine to 11 minutes.

10:19 P.M.

Gunfire from Paddock's room ceases.

LVMPD said at one point, a Mandalay Bay security guard approached the room where Paddock was firing from and was shot through the door. The guard was able to provide additional info, such as room number, to authorities.

Patrol officers on the scene wait for the SWAT team to arrive to take any further action.
The situation is changed from an active shooter to barricade situation. Paddock is considered isolated in the hotel room. The floor has been evacuated of guests.

SWAT team makes the decision on when it's appropriate to enter the room. While there was a delay there was no risk, LVMPD said.

LVMPD Undersheriff Kevin McMahill also confirmed initial reports regarding cameras being located at the scene inside the hotel. McMahill said two cameras were discovered in the hallway outside Paddock's room and another was found in the peephole of the room's door.

McMahill added that photos leaked to the media showing the scene inside Paddock's room - including weapons found inside - were from the scene. An investigation has been opened to discover how the photos were leaked.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/timel...-vegas-mass-shooting

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
This thread seems to exclude some common sense. No offense, but it's simple.

Immediately before he started this atrocity, he placed a camera or two immediately outside of the suite's door, and/or on the food cart that was immediately outside the second (standard) room he rented. The cameras could have been wireless or wired, and they were most likely smaller than a deck of cards. They were probably pointed down the hallway, and toward the staircase door immediately outside the suite's double door. If you set it up in the room, you could then place two cameras outside in less than 15 seconds.

It would be very difficult - if not impossible - for security to notice live and react to ... unless they were staring at the monitor with the camera showing a great view of the room door AND the video guy knowing what he was looking for.

Yes.

And does Mandalay have cameras in every hallway? Elevators and elevator lobbies sure but I know some hotels don't place cameras in hallways due to privacy concerns. Just a thought.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Yes, I did. Twice.

You don't know when he started the video. I'm saying he didn't start the video before the first shots were fired. How could he unless he knew when it was going to happen? He wasn't just driving around taking video and happened to capture the whole thing. If you accept that, then you can't say the first shots you hear on the video are not echoes and thus muted. In subsequent bursts of fire, you can hear the shots and their muted echoes fairly clearly.

The difference in volume of the report is not just at the beginning it’s through out the video, and the taxis cab driver identified herself as a female. You can see that the he video is continuously running, you will hear shots from a distance then you will hear shots fired close by.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sorry, which theory are we working on now?

Posts: 107511 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post