SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Special dinner tonight - Prime Cap Steak with protection.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special dinner tonight - Prime Cap Steak with protection. Login/Join 
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Shit, I'll be your girlfriend if you'll feed me like that but don't expect me to like you.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Very nice. My kids like the eye of ribeye but for some reason (more fat maybe?) they don't like the cap. Sooooo... I always raid the cap from their steaks. I never thought about doing so before they were cooked.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I buy rib steaks from Costco. I know the difference between the rib eye and rib cap. When buying steaks, I look for packages that have a bigger rib cap, and find them. Then again these are choice (I generally don't spend the extra money for prime.) So maybe they only do this with prime. Next time I'm there, I'll eyeball the prime rib steaks and see if this is really the case.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I know ribeye, I don't know ribeye cap steaks.

But the results look great. I like how plump they look.

It's the best part of a ribeye or prime rib. The outer layer of extra marbled extra tender meat. You have to ruin a ribeye in order to get it, so you won't often see it.

Wow. In that case, throw me the scrap parts. LOL.
That definitely is premium.

I'm happy for you that you enjoyed it and congrats on the anniversary.

The sad part was that Costco was selling the leftovers as Ribeye steaks and it was actually just a sliced Eye of Rib. Most people don't know that there are two muscles that comprise the Rib eye. Whoever bought it was getting ripped off. It would have made for a fine roast, but as packaged it was deceptive, especially at Prime Grade prices.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Congrats! And thanks for the report. I hadn't known of the cap steak.

www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/me...-cut-on-the-cow.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was eyeing those exact steaks today at Costco, but they looked sinfully evil when it came to fat content(and probably incredibly good).

I bought a whole Prime Ny strip at Costco a few weeks ago for $8.39 a lb and cut it into steaks and they have been some of the very best prime ny strips I've ever had.

Prime NY Strip and Prime Sirloin (don't like) have been incredibly cheap at Costco lately, and prime Ribeye pretty reasonable....but the Prime Filet Mignons (whole) have been crazy, like $28 lb.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post