SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man gunned down at Birmingham gas station shot 10 previous times in past year...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man gunned down at Birmingham gas station shot 10 previous times in past year... Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.al.com/news/birming...edium=default-widget

A man fatally gunned down at a Birmingham gas station in broad daylight Tuesday was previously shot 10 times in a six-month period.

Authorities on Tuesday night identified the victim as 29-year-old Antoine Collier, known to many by his nickname "Twin." A woman in her 50's, who police described as an innocent bystander, is fighting for her life at UAB Hospital after she was struck multiple times by the more than 40 bullets fired in store parking lot.

Collier died on the sidewalk of the Exxon service station at the corner of Graymont Avenue and Arkadelphia Road just before 1:30 p.m., and his mother told AL.com just six months ago that she braced herself every time the phone rang.

"I'm the mother who hates to answer the phone,'' Kimberly Flowers said in April. "You worry about your child."

Collier was released from prison just over one year ago and though he said he wanted to do better, trouble still followed him, his mother previously said. He remained a target for those who wanted to harm him and his mother turned to the Birmingham Police Department to help her help her son. BPD, through its Violence Reduction Initiative, tried to give him what he needed to turn his life around. They visited him in the hospital, and even sent to a text from the hospital to one official that read, in part, "I've cried till I can't anymore cause I'm blessed. I think when my health gets better, I wanna speak to young black males about violence."

In the most recent shooting prior to the one that ended his life Tuesday, Collier was shot in the face and spent a considerable amount of time in the hospital and then a secure rehabilitation facility. He was released over the summer.

Flowers on Tuesday said she wasn't ready to talk about her son's death, but said she was doing OK because, "I've got Jesus."

The shooting happened at 1:26 p.m. Lt. Sean Edwards said Collier and his girlfriend were entering the store when two black males shot him. The shooters fled in an unknown vehicle.

"Brazen. Very reckless. It's a total disregard for life,'' said Birmingham police Sgt. Bryan Shelton. "We are looking for an individual or individuals who clearly have no regard for life at all."

"We have to really consider the thought process that violence is not the answer,'' Shelton said. "Resorting to violence doesn't solve anything. It only causes more heartache and pain. It's a difficult time for the families. It's something they'll never forget."

Collier was shot while standing in front of his vehicle, which was parked at Good Tyme Pizza, which adjoins the Exxon. His girlfriend reportedly was with him. She was shaken, but not injured.

The female victim, police said, had just ordered her food at the pizza restaurant. She was not affiliated with Collier.

She had just gotten something to eat,'' said Lt. Sean Edwards. Several rounds struck her. They're working on her right now, and hopefully she'll pull through."

"It's very critical for her right now,'' Edwards said.

Residents who live near the busy intersection said the gunfire sounded like fireworks at first, but they then realized it was the rapid fire of bullets. More than 100 onlookers gathered at the intersection and remained there for nearly three hours while investigators marked and collected evidence, and documented the scene.

At one point, a female police officer told anyone who had brought their children to a crime scene - and there were many - needed to take them home.

Collier's mother and father both were at the scene.

Collier was previously shot near Legion Field, not far from where he was killed Tuesday. Edwards said in two of those shootings, he was allegedly stealing illegal narcotics from another individual.

"Most of the investigators are familiar with him,'' Edwards said. "These guys were looking for him. It's obvious they were looking for him. They definitely targeted him."

Edwards said he couldn't yet speak to a motive, and said investigators don't yet have any suspects.

"It's obvious these gunmen were looking for Collier with the intent of killing him,'' said Police Chief A.C. Roper. "It's a tragedy for his family but regardless of the circumstances that lead to his murder, we need to bring the killers to justice. "

Collier is the city's 80th homicide victim in 2017. Of those, at least five have been ruled justifiable and therefore aren't deemed criminal. In all of Jefferson County, there have been 127 homicides, including the 80 in Birmingham.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Being shot that number of times is a scientific marvel. That is a true lead magnet.

Seriously, though horrible news you'd have to work hard at making yourself that wanted by locals. Shouldn't be a surprise to those who knew him.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I doubt trouble followed him. More likely, be searched out trouble.

And all that wasted taxpayer paid hospital bills.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Dear Diary,
Well, it happened again today..."

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I'm curious to learn more about the 10 previous shootings in the last 6 months...

How many of the shooters did Collier identify?
How many of the shooters had been arrested and waiting for trial?
Are we talking about several different shooters or one shooter who just didn't stop?

I have to think Collier was actively assisting the police and DA convict the shooters. It would be suicidal not to assist them in an attempted murder case where you are the intended victim ~ times 10 in this case

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Help me out here. I'm confused again. Was he shot 10 times back in April, or shot once on 10 different occasions? I'd say that boy was a slow learner. He needed to skip town, fast like. Instead he hung around like nothing was going on. So the "friends" he made killified him. Hanging in the same neighborhood where he was shot 6 months ago may not have been his smartest move.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Dear Diary,
On my way to the doctor to get my stitches taken out, I got shot again. You know, if this keeps up, I might have to consider moving."

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
...Was he shot 10 times back in April, or shot once on 10 different occasions?...

I actually am not sure?

Based on the title of the article:
"Man gunned down at Birmingham gas station shot 10 previous times in past year"

Based on the first paragraph:
"A man fatally gunned down at a Birmingham gas station in broad daylight Tuesday was previously shot 10 times in a six-month period."

I understood it the author was stating there were 10 prior shooting incidents and Collier was killed in the 11th attempt.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keeping it real has real consequences for him.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Since I traveled South through Birmingham on I-65 last Friday, and again north through Birmingham on Sunday (attended a wedding in Mobile Saturday night), all I'm getting out of this story is that I was in the potential line of fire twice within the last week... Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she raised a real winner. Natural selection was a bit slow with this one.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
How many times you gotta get shot b/4 you relocate?

Unless you're in business locally, of course. Then moving is not really an option is it.

Just saying...

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graymont and Arkadelphia? I will not be gassing up there anytime soon!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
All one has to do is evaluate who he had been hanging with.

I've seen the guys who have been through a few 'rehab programs', you have to totally flush the old 'friends'. If one has to drop to no friends, so be it, then start over with other interests.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I'm not really buying into the attempt to paint him in any kind of light where he's just some poor victim. The following quote from the story should shed some light on what kind of lifestyle he likely was involved in.

"Collier was previously shot near Legion Field, not far from where he was killed Tuesday. Edwards said in two of those shootings, he was allegedly stealing illegal narcotics from another individual."

Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but I doubt it...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"Dear Diary,
Well, it happened again today..."

COTK! (Coffee On The Keyboard). Yes.... really!

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parents took their children to the crime scene?

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He chose poorly when it came to returning to the same 'hood.

His entire life was replete with bad decisions.

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Is it like that saying about assholes?

If you find yourself getting shot every couple of days maybe the problem is you?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
by the more than 40 bullets fired in store parking lot.

Sounds like they wanted to make sure they got it right this time.

Posts: 6346 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post