SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help wiring turn signals on my Yamaha R1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help wiring turn signals on my Yamaha R1 Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Quick question for the forum.

I finally found good OEM mid fairings for my R1 that came with turn signals. My R1 has three wires that attach to the turn signal from the bike, two wires are black and one is blue. All have easy to attach male/female connectors. On the turn signal there are two black wires and one red wire.

How can I find out which wire needs to be plugged up to the other wire?

If I guess wrong and plug it up incorrectly will it hurt anything?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I would need a multi-meter to figure it out quickly. Pulsing voltage for turn signal and ground. One is probably a running light wire

ETA: sorry, doesn't explain how to hook it up. You may be able to google a wiring schematic.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wonder if trial by error will work. I don't want to mess anything up though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Get a 12v DC source. A battery and a couple of leads with alligator clips will work.

My first guess would be that the red is ground, so hook the negative of the battery to that.

Touch the positive lead to each black lead. A light should come on in each case. The bulb likely has two filaments, one for turn/flash, one for running light. Which is which may not matter. At a guess, if one is brighter, that'd likely be your turn signal filament. Make a note of which wire is which if there's a difference.

On the bike side, use a multimeter. Check for continuity between one of the wires and the negative side of the battery. That's your ground.

Turn on the ignition and the headlight. Then connect a bulb, or the actual turn signal between ground and one of the wires. One or the other should come on and stay on, that'd be your running light. Then connect to the other and operate the turn signal switch both ways, you should get a flash.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Thank you PHPaul!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Any progress, Stickdude?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post