SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Chevy Suburban advice.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Chevy Suburban advice. Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
I am considering trading in my 2012 Suburban LT for a preowned 2016-17. Any words of advice or reviews on the newer Burb?

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No advice for you, Dave, but the chrome on the newer Subs make them look like hearses. I'm pretty sure that doesn't affect the performance, though, and I'd really like to make a Tahoe my next vehicle.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9147 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2017 Tahoe LT 4x4 as a rental last week and I was pretty impressed by the sound and power of the latest 5.3L motor. The early 2000's model we had was very sluggish in comparison. Everything about the 2017 has been vastly improved.

The space behind the rear seat is painfully small on the Tahoe, but the Suburban has plenty of room back there!

Posts: 441 | Location: Wichita, KS USA | Registered: April 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I recently swapped out an few year older Tahoe for the 16' Z71 and the ride difference is unbelievable! Yeah, like someone mentioned, the chrome around the windows was somewhat of a deterrent, but I don't notice it any more.

I will say this about the redesign: How they changed the 3rd row rear seat is not my favorite. Instead of being able to remove it, it will only fold flat - thereby taking up some height in the floor. Nice when you usually use the rear seat and only fold it flat on occasion. Not as convenient when you usually store gear back there and would rather be able to remove the 3rd row. Nitpicky, I know - but worth mentioning.

I installed a K&N air intake and keep a "FlashPaq" ECU controller with it, so I can change some settings as I see fit - and that improved my mileage by about 10%.

Bottom line; I think if you already like the Sub platform, you will REALLY like the new one!

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I just did some research on the Suburbans and Tahoe's and the Expedition. Went with a 2016 Expedition Limited EL for a number of reasons. Mainly the twin turbo 3.5L Eco Boost. But also I felt I got overall more bang for my buck as far the trim package etc. that came with the Limited.
Not to mention it has the most cargo space out of the 3.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I have an 09 LTZ, same body style as your 12. If I were to upgrade to a new one, I'd get a Yukon xl before I'd get a burban. The new Yukons look so much nicer. I don't like what they did with the front end of the new burban and Tahoe.

That said, I've got 180k on mine, and plan to keep it for another 100k. Just did ball joints and brakes and tires last spring. It's got lots of life left!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
A good friend has a 16 Denali. It has the 430hp engine and it is something. I drove it to Florida for him last year and got 19mpg and was seldom below 80. If I win the lottery, I plan to buy one the next morning.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
...The new Yukons look so much nicer. I don't like what they did with the front end of the new burban and Tahoe...

You're right! I never bothered to look at the GMCs but they are much nicer looking than the Chevrolets. That will count big-time when you go to trade them, so I'd consider the GMC over the Chevy.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9147 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
A good friend has a 16 Denali. It has the 430hp engine and it is something. I drove it to Florida for him last year and got 19mpg and was seldom below 80. If I win the lottery, I plan to buy one the next morning.

I drive an '11 Yukon XL (the Suburban sized one) Denali.

The 6.3L V8 makes it pretty zippy for how big it is and is great when you're pulling a trailer. The downside is that in stop-and-go city driving I get about 9.5 MPG.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be sure to look at the Expedition. An adult can easily sit in the 3rd row seat, a Suburban always feels tight back there. I think the Expeditions are getting a redesign for 2018.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Be sure to look at the Expedition. An adult can easily sit in the 3rd row seat, a Suburban always feels tight back there. I think the Expeditions are getting a redesign for 2018.

Exp'ys also have an independent rear suspension for what its worth

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I will echo the Expedition comments. I am on my third Expedition in 20 years. The first went 350k miles before it was wrecked by the person who bought it from me(not their fault). The second one has over 200k miles; still runs and looks great. I have about 148k miles on this one and it also still runs/looks great. It is 7 years old, but some people think it is new. The paint jobs hold up amazingly well. I have never owned such trouble-free, durable vehicles in my life, whether Japanese, German or other domestic products. I am sure the Suburban/Tahoes are also durable, but as of 7 years ago, the Expedition feels slightly more stable to me at highway speeds. I think the Sub/Tahoe is great, just offering another viewpoint.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Update...my 2012 with 85k on the odo was traded in for a pre own 2017 Suburban LT. I was able to get $17k in trade and enjoying the new suburban. The ride is more comfortable, acceleration is much smoother, it's roomier on the inside and the family is loving it.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Not to mention it has the most cargo space out of the 3.

False.

Suburban has considerably more cargo space.

The latest Suburbans are awesome. The King of SUV's and you can't go wrong with them.

Great choice Dave.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
Update...my 2012 with 85k on the odo was traded in for a pre own 2017 Suburban LT. I was able to get $17k in trade and enjoying the new suburban. The ride is more comfortable, acceleration is much smoother, it's roomier on the inside and the family is loving it.

Very Nice Dave.. I am sure your family will love it There is nothing like the feeling of driving a full size vehicle.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nice rig
no experience with the new burb/tahoe directly but a buddy has a new 2500 diesel GM truck. If GM would put their diesel and Alison tranny out of that 2500 truck in their tahoe/burb they'd sell that many more. lots of guys need that diesel to pull their monster boat/trailer and have to settle for the truck when they would prefer the storage and seating of the burb to go with the diesel pulling power

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My BEST advice I can give you right now, is to find a brand new 2017 leftover. You will pay the same for a used one as you will a new one when you factor in all of the rebates and that it's end of the year for the dealers.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
My BEST advice I can give you right now, is to find a brand new 2017 leftover. You will pay the same for a used one as you will a new one when you factor in all of the rebates and that it's end of the year for the dealers.

Somebody doesn't bother to read the whole thread. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new ride, Dave. I've been so pleased with my 2015 Tahoe that I ordered a 2018. They really have improved the features on this body style versus the 07-14.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Do not take it across the border.

I wanted to rent a Suburban to take a group to Ensenada some years ago, to a resort. It would be a great convenience to go in one vehicle and a Suburban would be ideal.

To my surprise, no one would rent one if the destination was to be Mexico. I knew a fellow who specialized in Suburbans. A client had rented from him on numerous occasions. He told me the life expectancy of a party driving a Suburban in Mexico was about 15 minutes from the time you crossed the border.

These vehicles were highly desirable to those in the South American agricultural products import business, were very hard to buy, and easy to steal with extreme violence.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post