SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Knowing when it's the end for your pet, some thoughts.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knowing when it's the end for your pet, some thoughts. Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
I ask not to be ghoulish, but only because one day I'll have to do the same.

Do the Vet staff let you hold your dog until the end?
Mine always has. I sat there on the floor of one of the exam rooms with her laid across my lap when I had to have my 6 year old female Coonhound put down as a result of her acquiring K9 Auto-immune disease. The vet also got to watch a person who is very unaccustomed to showing emotion in any aspect of their life cry like a baby.

I've had to have other dogs put down that had lived long lives with us, but to have to make the decision for a relatively young dog that less than 60 days before had been vibrant and beautiful was devastating. I love my dogs dearly and truly view them as the most special of friends.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been very very fortunate. Having had a dog for 35 years. All of mine have died of natural causes before having to make a very tough decision. The last German Sheperd was getting very close (hip displacia) but passed away in his sleep before we had to call it.

I think it's a very tough decision to make. I think if the pet is in constant pain or cannot function properly, it is time.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Our first Golden Retriever Bear was with us for 14 years he just got old and was wore out, our second Gracie was only with us for seven years due to illness. Both had their life's ended at the vets surrounded by family. I still get upset thinking about them. All I can say is you will know when its time and they will in their own way tell ya. Our third Golden Sadie has been with us for 10 years and going strong and I pray for many more to come.

Posts: 1954 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I've walked the walk several times and every time it sucked balls. The worst. A great vet, now retired, once told me on that first journey, you have to decide when you move from prolonging their life to prolonging their death. Wise words.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
I ask not to be ghoulish, but only because one day I'll have to do the same.

Do the Vet staff let you hold your dog until the end?

I have always been with my animals past the end. Usually I am consoling them for five minutes after they have passed. The vets that didn't know me usually told me they would take him/her away now. I would quietly explain that won't be the case and I will be with then the whole time. In one case my wife and two daughters were petting and loving to the end.

For all that animals that have done for me I could not imagine putting them in a scary environment for that. Always petting, loving, and sobbing until they cross the bridge Frown

I really want to see A Dog's Purpose with my wife. We will have to wait until we can watch at home as I'm sure we will both be crying.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:

I really want to see A Dog's Purpose with my wife. We will have to wait until we can watch at home as I'm sure we will both be crying.

Uhh, yeah, I screwed up and went and saw it in the theater. I cried with each death, and even a few happy scenes, because seeing them brought back joyful memories of my own.
I bet my eyes were a little red, just like the other old dude that was also standing outside the ladies room after the movie (waiting on his wife, as I was mine). I'm not sure, but I think he saw me, and maybe kinda smiled sheepishly. I (of course) tried to look like a hard ass retired Navy Chief, like normal...

I'm sure you're still a hardass Smile Thanks for confirming we made the right choice!!!

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
I am always moved... Genuinely moved... whenever someone shares their experiences with their dogs; experiences up to and including the end. Ever since I grew a brain I have thought that dogs are about the finest thing that Our Lord ever did for mankind. And like so many others I have always thought it would be a fine thing if our dogs could last as long as we do. In fact, over the years I've been a little angry about that. Somehow it doesn't seem right.
Thank you, Riley for starting this thread. God bless you for that; and may God bless all our dogs as well.... FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Regarding being with the dog in the end, I have always had that experience. The last fineness we had to do that, we also brought our other dog to the emergency vet, so he could say good bye too. It helped with his closure and grieving. I will always do this. It will be more logistically challenging for the vet now that we have three dogs, but it'll work.
Mak

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
It is a sad situation ,but I my case for a couple of times the pet will let you know.
I have hat two be put down in my lap.
The most heart breaking thing you can imagine.
I have had two that died in my lap as they slept at home.
That is also real rough.
I have one now that is about ready and I sure dread that trip.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGregor:
Saddest thing I've ever had to do was make the decision to end our pets life. Wife and I both stayed with our dog to the end.
Spokane our Vet let us stay and hold our dog to the end. He provided us a private room to say our good byes. Hope that all Vets would be so kind.

Our vet is the same....as I type this I feel the heavy weight the memory of being there with our schnauzer...was the hardest thing I have had to do. The wife could not stay in the room, I gave her the ok to sit out in the car....I thought I was ready for helping our pet cross....I cried...so hard but the vet allowed me the time needed to gain my composure before leaving the room. I vowed not to have another pet.....that lasted a year. We have another schnauzer. It is never an easy thing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Today I have to take our cat back to the vet. Late last week she had 4 teeth removed. She's been vomiting and she's not eating--both before and after the surgery. We've tried everything from wetting her Fromm kibble to giving her wet food and tuna.

Six + years ago I moved into a Forest Service house on the District I came to manage, north of Jackson, WY. My wife and our son stayed behind in W Colorado because our son was a senior in HS and it didn't seem right to move him in his last year.

The house was overrun with mice. There were turds in the kitchen drawers. Trapping was useless. I told my wife I needed a cat.

I picked up Lucy Liu at the shelter. The woman thought she was "7 or 8." Making her about 14 now. She sure cleaned out the mice. The first couple weeks she wouldn't come anywhere near me. I finally had to block the back of the washer and dryer; she would hide behind it anytime I came downstairs. She still makes herself scarce when we have guests in the house.

I'm a dog person, but she did her job and did it well. I may have to come home without her.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Of all the posts here, the graphic broke the wall down for me.

I'm just sat here broken up.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Of all the posts here, the graphic broke the wall down for me.

I'm just sat here broken up.

tac

Me too. I saw it while sitting in the VA Pharmacy waiting area and KNEW I couldn't read it until I got home. My male Rottie, Graudstark's Hades in the picture below was such a good boy. He's been across the rainbow bridge for a long time and these threads still get to me.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I've had to take a cat in for that last trip as his owner couldn't face it. I did it for the cat, he was sick and old and in pain. At the time, I lost some respect for the person for not doing it themself. As I get older, I've softened my opinion on that.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Great thread here folks. So many great stories of love and compassion. They give us so much joy, and leave such a big hole when they are gone. But, I will continue to put myself thru this because of the unconditional love they give while spending time with us here on this place called earth. Pets, dogs and cats, are one of gods best gifts in my opinion.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This thread sucks, I should not have opened it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
This thread sucks, I should not have opened it.

I could not agree more.

Knowing when it's the end for your pet, some thoughts...BEFORE you fall in love with them.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't have come in here.

I have an appointment tomorrow for my 10 yr. old Redbone. I've known this day was coming for a while but...

I just got done hand-feeding him and my Black & Tan some very good steak. I'm taking tomorrow off work. We'll go to the park and a lake, get some ice cream, more steak, and say goodbye.

I found it difficult to leave the office tonight, knowing what's ahead.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I'm literally crying as I write this, the pain of losing my beloved Worth just under a year ago is still fresh, even with a puppy in the house. Worth was a wonderful lab, with a penchant for sweets. We called him the "Cake Monster", because he had stolen a few (more than a few) sweets from off counters and tables. He seemed to prefer things like rum cake or Dulce de Leche, having made great efforts for these. He had ruptured both "ACL"s, we had one repaired, but the surgery was absolute misery for him, so when the second ruptures several years later, we did rehab at home. He was happy, able to get around after that, loved us and our daughter. In the end, his arthritic hind legs took their toll. He had great spirit, never shied away or failed to wag his tail for us when we petted and cuddled him. But his eyes told us (me, really, for my wife simply could not bring herself to actuate the final decision) that it was time. As much as he clearly loved us, life was no longer fun, age and pain did take their toll. So after 14+ years, I held his head as the vet helped him go. It was painless for him, and I do not regret it, though my heart breaks thinking of him. It is a shame that dogs do not live as long as we do, but I believe that their pure unconditional love for us could not be contained for that length of time, nor do we humans deserve that. I miss you so much, Worth. Godspeeed.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have always owned Jack Russel Terriers, always will. That being said, it isn't easy to let go. Have lost 3 over the years, and my most recent one was the toughest. Scout was the first one we had to "decide" on. Tough choice, but for all you pet-parent owners out there don't wuss out. My mantra is my pet will never suffer. Period. You will know when you have to make the choice. My wife and I spent a lot of $ on possible treatments, etc. but we both knew where we had come to. His final weekend he went downhill way, way too fast, and we almost didn't make it to NC State in time. Luckily I had called them the day before to inquire (wonderful, wonderful program they have btw) and they were truly professional.

Bottom line - be prepared for it as that day will come. And do not let your friend suffer. Period.

EDIT: Peace be with you my friend Scout. You are missed.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post